I'm looking to buy an SUV

The Tomcat

looking for one 2-3 yrs old. I was thinking of a Durango.

Anyone with any suggestions or history with theirs?

I was thinking about an extended cab truck but think an SUV is a better way to go.

I have 2 boys (10,13) and coach baseball for 9-10, 11-12 yr olds so I need to be able to have room for kids and equiptment. I like to hunt as well.

let me know what y'all think.

(mods - please leave this on the OT forum. At least for a couple days)

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durango's are cool, don't have much experience with them, except for the fact that I have a dakota which is basically the Truck model of the SUV.

I would take a look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee (lots of parts available for them, they are a pretty reliable SUV with room for cargo and kids.

I guess it depends on weither you want a small, medium or large SUV. If you want a large one, the Chevy tahoe is a nice one, three rows of seats, with Cargo space, decent mileage and power for a v8. Drove one from Niagara (in Ontario) to Chicago this summer with 5 people and luggage for 5 days. I would definitly buy one if I had the cash, and needed something with some room

I was thinking about an extended cab truck but think an SUV is a better way to go.

I have 2 boys (10,13) and coach baseball for 9-10, 11-12 yr olds so I need to be able to have room for kids and equiptment. I like to hunt as well.

Thanks

A friend of mine bought a 94 suburban. If it wouldn't burn about 200$ CAD in gas per full tank, I would own one myself. My brother has an MDX. Pretty spacious ( has 7 seats). Pathfinders are good too.

If i had the money though, it would be a Cayenne.

Thanks

I have a 2005 GMC ENVOY and I have to tell you I absolutly fuggin love it. Bought it new and haven't had any issues at all. Decent mileage for a VORTEC V-6. Not only is it very comfortable for my family of 4 but it drives and handles amazing. If your looking for something 2-3 years old then you will be able to get a good deal as well. The ENVOY is the same SUV as the Trailblazer from Chevy but the resale on the ENVOY is 50% vice the 30% on the Trailblazer and the only difference is the headlights , tailights and dash . The GMC dash's gauges are all outlined in chrome and it really stands out sharply.

Thats just my 2 cents. If you have any questions just let me know.

Steve

I rented a Durango once. The things suck gas like it was free. I have a Jeep Cherokee Grand Laredo and I love the thing. Good gas mileage, it's roomy and comfortable and it's buit like a tank. If you look around you'll see a lot of old jeeps still on the road- a good sign for the longevity of Jeep in general.

Hyundai Santa Fe

Best bang for your buck, good on gas, VERY SAFE, 5 year bumper to bumper + 10 year engine and trans.

My wifes work gave her a brand new one last year. I figured it would be like a crap KIA but I was very wrong. Very smooth ride and from what I understand they dont cost very much. 25000 fully loaded.

Stay away from VW Toureg, or any of those silly kinda half SUV, half car things. I have a Toureg, and besides it costing a fortune to repair, and repair often, to small to fit 4 kids, or haul stuff etc, yet to big to get gas milage or any advantages of a car. Think that would be the same for that whole class of car. BTW, my friggen headlight on the VW is going to cost me $128 to replace, and yes, only a friggen dealer or VW service place has the right tools to replace it. AFRIGGEN headlight and I cannot replace it!!!! FUG VW!

Rant over, onto your original question. I own a 96 explorer with near on 177,000 miles on it now. Know a lot of people who have gotten a ton of mileage out of their explorers.

Stay away from VW Toureg, or any of those silly kinda half SUV, half car things. I have a Toureg, and besides it costing a fortune to repair, and repair often, to small to fit 4 kids, or haul stuff etc, yet to big to get gas milage or any advantages of a car. Think that would be the same for that whole class of car. BTW, my friggen headlight on the VW is going to cost me $128 to replace, and yes, only a friggen dealer or VW service place has the right tools to replace it. AFRIGGEN headlight and I cannot replace it!!!! FUG VW!

Rant over, onto your original question. I own a 96 explorer with near on 177,000 miles on it now. Know a lot of people who have gotten a ton of mileage out of their explorers.

I was looking at an Explorer as well.....

Thanks

I grew up in a Dodge/Chrysler family. My old man loved them. He bought a Durango new in 2004, which my mother now drives. This past year, it has been giving her a LOT of trouble. Just the other day she was driving to work, the oil light and check engine light come on and the truck stalls out. She pulls it over and was about a half mile away from Northtown Dodge, so she decides to try and start it again to get over to the dealership. The truck starts and makes it to Northtown. They check it out, nothing wrong, computer didn't register a problem and they couldn't find anything. Good times.

I have a honda pilot with the extra row of seats. It still has room in the very back plus a roof rack for storage when it's loaded up. My biggest complaint is it drives like a mini-van. I would go four wheeling, but it can get through some not so muddy fields, as my daughter does soccer as well. Again, for a family SUV it's pretty good and lots of room to pack the kids in.

Went through this exercise last year and ended up buying a Chrysler Pacifica (Touring package). We were extremely impressed with the way it drives and how comfortable it was.

The Touring package included GPS, leather interior, power everything, dual climate, removable second-row bucket seats and third-row bench seating, electric back door (which wifey loves when toting our son around), more than enough space for hauling people or gear, 6-disc DVD player with drop-down screen and wireless headphones, leather interior, 250 horsepower V6, suspension by Mercedes...bought it for $20K out the door with 8,000 miles on it.

Haven't had a single problem with it since we got it last year, and the true test is having wifey come home from being at Disney for the day and commenting, "Damn, I love my car."

Thanks

if you need 3rd row seating (and it sounds like you do) the new ford explorer is a good choice. i think it was remodeled in 2005. stay away from the model before that. i just got an SUV last month after testing about 7 models. i don't need the extra row so i boiled it down to jeep grand cherokee, mercedes ml350 and 5 seat ford explorer. explorer and volvo both have optional 3rd row seating.

Went through this exercise last year and ended up buying a Chrysler Pacifica (Touring package). We were extremely impressed with the way it drives and how comfortable it was.

The Touring package included GPS, leather interior, power everything, dual climate, removable second-row bucket seats and third-row bench seating, electric back door (which wifey loves when toting our son around), more than enough space for hauling people or gear, 6-disc DVD player with drop-down screen and wireless headphones, leather interior, 250 horsepower V6, suspension by Mercedes...bought it for $20K out the door with 8,000 miles on it.

Haven't had a single problem with it since we got it last year, and the true test is having wifey come home from being at Disney for the day and commenting, "Damn, I love my car."

I hope you tipped your salesman.