Sad news, Sabres fans...

Lori

Yes, the News&Observer columnist who gave you this gem:

My columns on the Hurricanes-Buffalo Sabres series are running in The Buffalo News and, judging from my e-mail inbox, everybody who reads the News' sports pages is an expert.

They don't have expert opinions. They're experts about having an opinion.

They tell me what they think about the Hurricanes playing their Sabres for the Eastern Conference championship.

They tell me what they think of me.

They tell me what I should think.

I'm bound for Buffalo now, so I'll try to do as the Buffalonians do. I'll try to be a hockey expert.

My first problem is I don't know how you can be an expert on this sport. How can you know a lot about something that there's not that much to know about?

Here's hockey: Ice. Two goals. Two goalies. Ten skaters with 10 sticks. One puck. One objective. Get the puck in the other team's goal.

When there are more players on offense than defense, the likelihood of a goal goes up.

There's not much more to it than that, folks.

You're free to talk about the options on odd-man rushes, the significance of zone time and the varieties of butterfly-style goalies, but it's all secondary and not required.

Hockey is a hard game. It's an exciting, exhausting and often violent game. But it's not a complicated one.

Why do you think hockey expert Don Cherry dresses in green plaid jackets and purple ties? Even he doesn't take hockey analysis seriously.

BARNETT: Buffalo home to hockey experts

...is moving from sports commentary to the news-side:

Eight years ago I wrote my first sports column here. It was about Mike Krzyzewski's lack of comment after three of his players left early for the NBA and another transferred.

The headline was, "The K is silent at Duke."

Now, many columns later, it's my turn to go quiet. This is my last column.

Sports media have enough experts. I didn't pretend to be another (Sorry, Buffalo Sabres fans).

BARNETT: Sun sets on this reporter

Since Barnett's columns were such a hot topic here last May, I'm sure many of you will be sorely disappointed by his absence from the upcoming postseason....

Edited by Lori
Stupidity. Mine. N&O isn't in Charlotte...

Yes, the Charlotte News&Observer columnist who gave you this gem:

Since Barnett's columns were such a hot topic here last May, I'm sure many of you will be sorely disappointed by his absence from the upcoming postseason....

Why, is Carolina going to be in the upcoming post-season?

Yes, the Charlotte News&Observer columnist who gave you this gem:

Is he staying in Charlotte?

He's so ignorant and full of himself, he'd be perfect for the New York Times or maybe NBC News. He has the potential to bring his stupidity to so many more people.....

(Reason number ten million why I have so little respect for reporters.)