DT Ian Scott or draft DT Amobi Okoye

bills_fan

I wonder why everyone believes that Ian Scott or Amobi Okoye are the answer for our run D? Neither is very big, with Scott at 302 and Okoye at 287 (per the senior bowl). Neither appears strong enough to hold the point of attack against two OL, a la Pat Williams.

Also, we have the "3 technique guy" covered in our Tampa 2 scheme. Those guys are Triplett and McCargo. We do not have a run stuffing nose tackle. Kyle Williams is a decent rotation player but certainly will not take on two blockers.

The best solution I see out there is DT Terdell Sands. 6'7", 335 lbs. Thats a run-stuffer. Playing him next to a guy like Triplett or McCargo will only make them more effective.

A rotation of Sands, Triplett, McCargo and Williams would be very effective and make our MLB (whoever it is) that much more effective.

Am I missing something?

I wonder why everyone believes that Ian Scott or Amobi Okoye are the answer for our run D? Neither is very big, with Scott at 302 and Okoye at 287 (per the senior bowl). Neither appears strong enough to hold the point of attack against two OL, a la Pat Williams.

Also, we have the "3 technique guy" covered in our Tampa 2 scheme. Those guys are Triplett and McCargo. We do not have a run stuffing nose tackle. Kyle Williams is a decent rotation player but certainly will not take on two blockers.

The best solution I see out there is DT Terdell Sands. 6'7", 335 lbs. Thats a run-stuffer. Playing him next to a guy like Triplett or McCargo will only make them more effective.

A rotation of Sands, Triplett, McCargo and Williams would be very effective and make our MLB (whoever it is) that much more effective.

Am I missing something?

just who is this 6'7'' 335 "human"

Am I missing something?

Sands looked real effective against the Colts in teh Super Bowl.

I 'd spend a lot on him. :unsure:

The Bills are not looking for a massive player to play DT. They want someone that can penetrate and disrupt plays behind the line of scrimmage.

The Bills are not looking for a massive player to play DT. They want someone that can penetrate and disrupt plays behind the line of scrimmage.

i didn't realize the Raiders played the Colts in the Super Bowl. no wonder Peyton won...

No, that was Scott and partially my point. Scott wasn't all that effective.

Terdell Sands, on the other hand, helped the Raiders to have a very good run defense. In fact, Warren Sapp had his most effective season in years playing next to Sands. This is a guy who will definately help us, much moreso than Scott or any 19 year old kid.

Am I missing something?

Well, our DC arrived last year an pronounced the Cover 2 as our new scheme. His preference is 2 lighter quicker penetrating DTs, not a space clagger upper. I haven't seen anything yet to lead me to believe that this philosophy has changed. I pray for a sign nightly, but I haven't seen it yet.

And...don't count out Okoye when it comes to the ability to stop the run. He will blossom into a Mack Truck with butcher knives sticking out of him.

Am I missing something?

Just what we need. A guy named Terd on the team. What were his parents thinking?

People never seem to realize that players can add weight, especially DT's. Also, although rare, there have been guys around 295-305 who have been quality run-stuffers. I believe Okoye could be one of them and also think McCargo could bulk up to the 320-325 range if needed. I just want to add a good to great DT man!

There are good DT's in RD#1,2, and 3 that have speed and beef, if you're looking.

RD#1 Alan Branch 6-6 325 JR Michigan - Either Okoye (the current draft darling) or Branch can fall to us, based on team needs of the first 11 drafting ahead of us. If they don't, it means a cornerback, running back or quarterback has fallen instead. Okoye doesn't have the beef, but he's a youngster who's still growing. He will be just as disruptive as Branch.

RD#2 Quinn Pitcock 6-4 300 SR Ohio State

RD#3 Louis Leonard 6-5 320 SR Fresno St.

I'm beginning to think that (if we aren't sure on Branch or Okoye or are going mainly in the offensive direction this draft) you pick up FA Terdell Sands DT and go with him, McCargo, Tripplett, and Williams. Sands would be mainly used in 3rd and short, 4th and short, and goal to go. Ian Scott isn't any bigger than who we have. We also will move Denney in on occasion.

Okoye's talent intrigues me, but if he's not at the top of Buffalo's list, I'd sooner see someone built along the lines of Jacksonville's tackles, Henderson (6-7, 328) and Stroud (6-6, 312).

(Of course, so would approximately 31 other teams in the league. Those guys were both high first-round picks for a reason.)

Sands is a possibility, but the Raiduhs would be incredibly stupid to let him walk. Waitaminute... in that case, there IS hope... :wallbash:

No, that was Scott and partially my point. Scott wasn't all that effective.

Terdell Sands, on the other hand, helped the Raiders to have a very good run defense. In fact, Warren Sapp had his most effective season in years playing next to Sands. This is a guy who will definately help us, much moreso than Scott or any 19 year old kid.

Sands was drafted in the 7th Round of the 2001 by the Chiefs. He began his career in 2003 with the Raiders, who felt so highly of him that they released him in the middle of the season and he went to Green Bay. Granted they brought him back in 2004 and the rest they say is history. By contrast Scott was a 4th Round draft pick in 2003 and been with the Bears ever since.

I'd like to know where you got the Raiders had a good run D last year as they ranked 25th in the NFL in rushing yards per game by contrast the Bears ranked 6th. In 2005 the Raiders ranked 25th and the Bears ranked 12th. In 2004 the Raiders ranked 22nd and the Bears ranked 25th. In 2003 The Raiders ranked 32nd and the Bears ranked 18th. Or in other words in 3 of their 4 year careers Scott's teams were better at defending the run. Perhaps a coincidence but to me evidence of who the better player is.

Sands was drafted in the 7th Round of the 2001 by the Chiefs. He began his career in 2003 with the Raiders, who felt so highly of him that they released him in the middle of the season and he went to Green Bay. Granted they brought him back in 2004 and the rest they say is history. By contrast Scott was a 4th Round draft pick in 2003 and been with the Bears ever since.

I'd like to know where you got the Raiders had a good run D last year as they ranked 25th in the NFL in rushing yards per game by contrast the Bears ranked 6th. In 2005 the Raiders ranked 25th and the Bears ranked 12th. In 2004 the Raiders ranked 22nd and the Bears ranked 25th. In 2003 The Raiders ranked 32nd and the Bears ranked 18th. Or in other words in 3 of their 4 year careers Scott's teams were better at defending the run. Perhaps a coincidence but to me evidence of who the better player is.

Checkout the YPC average for run defense, not total yards given up.

Look at Tommie Harris and Booger McFarland..both at 300.
Correct, but both guys penetrate and disrupt the play. Neitehr is a stay-at-home, take-on-2-blockers type of player. That type of player, Sands or Pat Williams, allows the rest of the D to make the play on the ball. Our MLB would not have to fight off a 330 lb G, the McCargo/Tripletts could try and beat their man one on one, without the double team. I know I'm oversimplifying, but you get the point.

Jokeman, I use yards per carry allowed in evaluating a run D. Total yards is often a function of whether a team was way ahead or way behind a lot (ie killing the clock with a big lead, or abandoning the run game trying to catch up).

Okoye's talent intrigues me, but if he's not at the top of Buffalo's list, I'd sooner see someone built along the lines of Jacksonville's tackles, Henderson (6-7, 328) and Stroud (6-6, 312).

(Of course, so would approximately 31 other teams in the league. Those guys were both high first-round picks for a reason.)

Sands is a possibility, but the Raiduhs would be incredibly stupid to let him walk. Waitaminute... in that case, there IS hope...

Couldn't agree more. Either Stroud or Henderson a free agent any time soon?? :wallbash:

Okoye does intrigue me, a 19 year old with big upside is impressive. But I wonder, 19 year old muscles are nowhere near as strong as 25-28 year old muscles. Will we just be developing Okoye for a big money deal elsewhere? How much will he really help in the near term?

Okoye is one hell of a football player and will be easily playing at 300+ in the NFL. He would solidify the line for years to come and would almost certainly take care of the run defense problem (our biggest problem) next year. Free agents at corner and perhaps middle linebacker are a better bet than trying a rookie at either position. I say draft Okoye or Branch...and if we end up with Blaylock go with some like Harrel out of Tennessee in the second.