Possible Sabres trades

bills_fan

Given the loss of Gaustad for the season, and the fact that the team was already a bit soft (without McKee or Grier), what moves do you think could be made? Keep in mind we don't have a lot of cap room. Anyone hear any reliable rumors or even have any good, realistic ideas?

This article is decent regarding what losing Gaustad would mean to the team...

Gaustad lost for season.

Biron is their most likely candidate to get shipped, and makes the most sense. If all goes according to plan, Marty wouldn't see one minute of action in the playoffs. He's a nice luxury to have, but when it gets down to it, they will need contributors in the playoffs, not spectators. Kotalik, Pominville, and Kalinin are leading the way in whispers as far as expendable skaters.

I haven't heard many hypotheticals as far as who the Sabres would bring in in a trade. Bill Guerin's name has popped up a few times. If they traded Biron, they'd certainly need to receive a goalie coming back. I'm sure they'd like some additional depth at defense, but I can't see them grabbing someone at the deadline who would crack their top-7 barring injuries...Then you're back to the contributor vs. spectator argument.

Gaustad hurts...Darcy mentioned how valuable guys like him are in the playoffs, and that the answer would be "No" if a team wanted the Goose from the Sabres, so he's skeptical that he'll be able to pick up a comparable player from someone else.

Heard some rumors about Gary Roberts coming to Buffalo...

Here is a wild thought I would not mind seeing the Sabres pull off (if they can):

Ed Belfour and Gary Roberts

For

Martin Biron

You might say 'Belfour, are you nuts?"...Eddie is a vet and if needed in the playoffs...he would be a guy that could keep the Sabres afloat.

Biron is their most likely candidate to get shipped, and makes the most sense. If all goes according to plan, Marty wouldn't see one minute of action in the playoffs. He's a nice luxury to have, but when it gets down to it, they will need contributors in the playoffs, not spectators. Kotalik, Pominville, and Kalinin are leading the way in whispers as far as expendable skaters.

I haven't heard many hypotheticals as far as who the Sabres would bring in in a trade. Bill Guerin's name has popped up a few times. If they traded Biron, they'd certainly need to receive a goalie coming back. I'm sure they'd like some additional depth at defense, but I can't see them grabbing someone at the deadline who would crack their top-7 barring injuries...Then you're back to the contributor vs. spectator argument.

Gaustad hurts...Darcy mentioned how valuable guys like him are in the playoffs, and that the answer would be "No" if a team wanted the Goose from the Sabres, so he's skeptical that he'll be able to pick up a comparable player from someone else.

I don't see the Blues trading Guerin. In fact, today's STL paper said they are trying to re-sign him.

Kotalik, Pominville, and Kalinin are leading the way in whispers as far as expendable skaters.

I've not heard Pominvilles name mentioned anywhere. I think he is probably untouchable because he's making peanuts and contributes a lot. Not the type of player to move now.

I've not heard Pominvilles name mentioned anywhere. I think he is probably untouchable because he's making peanuts and contributes a lot. Not the type of player to move now.

I agree with you, and hadn't heard much until this morning, they were discussing on WGR...Of course the talk of Kotalik, Kalinin, and Biron, and they talked briefly of Pominville also- Not necessarily that the Sabres were interested in moving him, just that other teams were interested in acquiring him.

I agree with you, and hadn't heard much until this morning, they were discussing on WGR...Of course the talk of Kotalik, Kalinin, and Biron, and they talked briefly of Pominville also- Not necessarily that the Sabres were interested in moving him, just that other teams were interested in acquiring him.

If Pominville is ever to be moved it better be for a big time impact player for this season.

I will say this about the Sabres: If this team does not make a couple of moves now, I'm afraid this season will be a disappointment in the end.

The time is NOW: We do not know if the Sabres will be able to keep Drury/Briere.

The Sabres will probably lose Biron and a couple of other pieces.

Also, if you take a look at how Pittsburgh is going, the entire Eastern Conference is going to be in big trouble, and soon.

Get it done Darcy. You do not have to sell the future to get the pieces in place for a Cup this year.

If Pominville is ever to be moved it better be for a big time impact player for this season.

I will say this about the Sabres: If this team does not make a couple of moves now, I'm afraid this season will be a disappointment in the end.

The time is NOW: We do not know if the Sabres will be able to keep Drury/Briere.

The Sabres will probably lose Biron and a couple of other pieces.

Also, if you take a look at how Pittsburgh is going, the entire Eastern Conference is going to be in big trouble, and soon.

Get it done Darcy. You do not have to sell the future to get the pieces in place for a Cup this year.

Points one and three don't really reconcile in my book. If you're going to lose Drury and/or Briere (especially the latter) then you have to hold onto your young and cheap snipers who have some experience. If someone else is going to be packaged with a pricier talent like Kotalik or Biron then it will likely be a prospect. As regards goalies, should we deal Marty, we could feasibly give Adam Dennis the #2 job but he is beyond untested in this environment.

Not for long...they can afford to keep Crosby but when (and more importantly where) are Malkin, Fluery and Staal going to get paind.

This is one of those 'no chance in hell' trades, but I would offer a pretty penny to Florida for Bouwmeester. I'm talking Biron, a blue-line prospect, and a forward prospect or Kalinin. It's sooo not going to happen, though.

I would give up alot just to see that happen, even bringing Horton here would be a nice move

It's nice to talk about Darcy picking someone up.....

I just hope the reinforcements are better than Bob Corkum!

It's a different time and a different team right now, and this team has a shot. Darcy would be foolish not to measure what kinds of upgrades he can make, particularly with Goose now out for the duration. There is no time like now with the uncertainty of Drury and Briere's status after this season.

The only thing that tells me there will be no deal is if there is a guy like Kaleta or McArthur who can provide what we need without having to cost us much extra. On the other hand, Darcy should be taking a good long look at the pieces and thinking about who is and is not going to be part of the future. IE, if Kotalik isn't, long-term, then best to see what rental can be gotten for him with an eye toward the young'ns for next season.

It's a different time and a different team right now, and this team has a shot. Darcy would be foolish not to measure what kinds of upgrades he can make, particularly with Goose now out for the duration. There is no time like now with the uncertainty of Drury and Briere's status after this season.

The only thing that tells me there will be no deal is if there is a guy like Kaleta or McArthur who can provide what we need without having to cost us much extra. On the other hand, Darcy should be taking a good long look at the pieces and thinking about who is and is not going to be part of the future. IE, if Kotalik isn't, long-term, then best to see what rental can be gotten for him with an eye toward the young'ns for next season.

I agree he should make a move. We have the best team in franchise history.

All those great Detroit, Colorado etc. teams were not afraid to lose a prospect or two to put them over the hump.

They were greedy at the deadline- you can never have enough depth going into the playoffs.

The ESPN rumor mill brought this one up:

Biron back on the block?

Feb 11 - Martin Biron's name has popped back into the mix, according to the Ottawa Sun, but if the Sabres' rumored asking price remains a player, a prospect and a first-round pick, then the goalie will likely stay put in Buffalo.

The Sun said the Lightning are interested in Biron, who will make $2.178 million this season.

I agree he should make a move. We have the best team in franchise history.

All those great Detroit, Colorado etc. teams were not afraid to lose a prospect or two to put them over the hump.

They were greedy at the deadline- you can never have enough depth going into the playoffs.

I agree.

And the thing is the Sabres do not need to sell the farm to get what this team needs.

The Sabres do not need to acquire a 30 goal scorer or a great puck moving defenseman or a goalie, all things that have a premium price tag.

If the team loses a 3rd round pick for a solid player who can help during the playoffs to get this team that elusive Stanley Cup, it will be ALL worth it.