Tipping Question

Tux of Borg

Absolutely right. But those are not the places to which I was referring. It was more someone who you have not seen brings out your food, there may be a problem or you may need more X or a knife or whatever, but that person walks away so fast and your waiter is nowhere in sight.

agreed. One thing I do not do is tip on the cost of the wine. I do not ordered bottles out much as I get sick thinking of 300% or more markup on most wines, so I tend to order by the glass. But when I do order a botlle , I factor in the retail price of the wine and that is what I tip on for the most part.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This I disagree with slightly. Have been in many fine dining establishments such as The Inn at Little washington, The French Laundry, Per Se, where the wait person can act more as coordinator than as actual server. You may have a first person get cocktails, the sommelier for wine, servers who are refilling water, bread, etc, . Generally the wait staff is there to pace the meal, make sure all is attended to your satisfaction, answer questions about the menu etc. Again, I am talking more 5 star type places, but see many times where someone else brings the dish, but the wait staff is there to make sure all is correct etc

You ate at The French Laundry?! I heard that place is so good that people consider eating their own sh-- to get seconds.

You ate at The French Laundry?! I heard that place is so good that people consider eating their own sh-- to get seconds.

I have my good sir, bout 5 yrs ago I guess. It was by far the best dining experience I have ever had, and most likely the biggest % tip I have ever left(outside of free beer tips). Long story, but dude who worked with me was friends with Thomas Keller. Service and food were par excellance. Waiter was awesome. As we sat down and he asked for cocktails, I said my mouth was a little tired from all the wine tasting that day. He took one look at me at said "sir, I highly recommend a nice beer to cleanse your palate", dude had me at hello.

3 1/2 hrs later, we were in the kitchen have desert with Tom himself. Also how we got into Per Se, his place in Manhattan.

Your points are all valid. Some folks are in a rush. But, depending upon the type of place you work, you should have an idea when your customers are finishing their apps. Either you bus the table or you walk by and see where they are. At that point, hit fire check on the micros, and about 10 min later their meal is done.

How many tables do you usually have? At the places I've worked 7-8 is normal for a weekend. Weekdays, it was 10-12, as we had less servers on. It can get pretty crazy at times, but thats the job.

It's like 5 or 6 for the weekend, weekdays 8-10. I agree your idea of waiting until they finish their appetizers makes plenty of sense if you don't mind waiting 10 minutes (or up to 20 depending on how busy the restaurant is and what you ordered) after you finish your appetizer to eat your meal. A lot of people don't mind, a lot of others do and get very impatient. That's why it is smart of you to let your server know your preference.

Just to give you an idea of the type of dining I am refering to, I work at John Harvard's Brewhouse in Wayne, PA. It's certainly classier than a Applebees or TGI Fridays, but not a fine dining establishment.

It's like 5 or 6 for the weekend, weekdays 8-10. I agree your idea of waiting until they finish their appetizers makes plenty of sense if you don't mind waiting 10 minutes (or up to 20 depending on how busy the restaurant is and what you ordered) after you finish your appetizer to eat your meal. A lot of people don't mind, a lot of others do and get very impatient. That's why it is smart of you to let your server know your preference.

Just to give you an idea of the type of dining I am refering to, I work at John Harvard's Brewhouse in Wayne, PA. It's certainly classier than a Applebees or TGI Fridays, but not a fine dining establishment.

Dam,

I've been to that place, enjoyed the hell out of it.