Tipping Question

Tux of Borg

Spoken like a person who has never been a waiter.

You always tip on the regular price, not the discounted price. Always.

You know what they say about assuming....I did work a bartender in my past and I always overtip, that is not the point, you do not always tip on the regular price. Nobody does and I guarantee you don't either. If you call a pizzera and order a "combo pack" which has a bucket of wings, two large pies and a two liter of coke for $40. When the dilivery dude comes do you ask him what each item would normally cost and base your tip off of that, or do you just tip him based off of the $40 combo price?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a former nutrition transportation engineer...$25 is a good tip, no matter how many pizzas.

[/quote

Damn...I'm jealous! I wish I had nutrition transportation engineer on my resume!

Had business cards made up and everything. It was so much easier to get dates as a Nutrition Transportation Engineer than it was as "well...I deliver pizza...but I'm working my way through grad school...", to which the response was usually "You're 25, delivering pizza, and still in college? Call me when you grow up..." :unsure:

You know what they say about assuming....I did work a bartender in my past and I always overtip, that is not the point, you do not always tip on the regular price. Nobody does and I guarantee you don't either. If you call a pizzera and order a "combo pack" which has a bucket of wings, two large pies and a two liter of coke for $40. When the dilivery dude comes do you ask him what each item would normally cost and base your tip off of that, or do you just tip him based off of the $40 combo price?
There's a difference between ordering the combo pack with a special price and using a coupon to get your discount, so maybe I should have been more clear. If you go to a restaurant and get a coupon for, say, a free appetizer, you should factor in that amount when you tip. If you go to a restaurant and use a gift card, you should again tip on the amount the bill WOULD be prior to using the gift card.

If you order the Pizza Hut double-stuffed pizza with party wings, cheesebread, big gulps and nachos, that's a different animal and you should see your doctor.

But make no mistake, both my wife and I spent a good portion of our lives in food service and we always, always, always tip on the regular price when dining in.

There's a difference between ordering the combo pack with a special price and using a coupon to get your discount, so maybe I should have been more clear. If you go to a restaurant and get a coupon for, say, a free appetizer, you should factor in that amount when you tip. If you go to a restaurant and use a gift card, you should again tip on the amount the bill WOULD be prior to using the gift card.

I agree completely.

If you order the Pizza Hut double-stuffed pizza with party wings, cheesebread, big gulps and nachos, that's a different animal and you should see your doctor.

But make no mistake, both my wife and I spent a good portion of our lives in food service and we always, always, always tip on the regular price when dining in.

Yep. As someone who grew up in the food service industry (did every restaurant job there was), and bartended and waited my way thru college and law school, you always tip on the full amount, NOT the discounted amount.

And its funny, the best tippers are always folks who worked in the restaurant business.

And its funny, the best tippers are always folks who worked in the restaurant business.

I used to believe the same thing, but I've since come to find out that the best tippers are always folks who worked in the restaurant business, and now have children.

"Yeah, I'm real sorry that the floor and table is covered with mac-n-cheese and pieces of a hot dog dipped in chocolate pudding. Here's a $50 tip if you promise to let me go quietly."

Yep. As someone who grew up in the food service industry (did every restaurant job there was), and bartended and waited my way thru college and law school, you always tip on the full amount, NOT the discounted amount.

I always tip well for good service. Our local pizza place annoys me because they always want to include the tip when we order (we pay with a credit card) and we always have to tell them we'll add it when the guy shows up. When we ordered this past weekend, the box came crushed and the cheese break was missing the dipping sauce, so that was rather annoying, but he got the same tip. (our order is usually about $18 and we tip $3. For all you "food services people," is that pretty good?)

CW

HOTEL TIP

what is the proper tip for housekeeping when you stay at a hotel?

From mead's link:

Maid service - $1-5 per day typically, up to $10 per day depending upon how much mess you make. Tip daily because there might be a different maid each day. Leave the tip on your pillow. Err on the side of being generous, and tip on the last day also.

I'd disagree on the pillow thing -- you should usually leave it on a desk or nightstand, but write a note that says "Thank you" and leave it on top or to the side of the money so that the maid knows it's a tip.

The general rule of thumb is $1-$2 per person in the room per day for an average hotel, more if it's a fancier hotel and more still if you leave the place a mess.

Most people don't leave any tips at all which sucks. Cleaning rooms is a lot harder than delivering pizza, and they generally make minimum wage (my mom and grandma both used to clean rooms and I used to help sometimes - the work sucks. My mom still works in the laundry department of a hotel and that sucks just as bad).

CW

I always tip well for good service. Our local pizza place annoys me because they always want to include the tip when we order (we pay with a credit card) and we always have to tell them we'll add it when the guy shows up. When we ordered this past weekend, the box came crushed and the cheese break was missing the dipping sauce, so that was rather annoying, but he got the same tip. (our order is usually about $18 and we tip $3. For all you "food services people," is that pretty good?)

CW

Again, when I was a "nutrition transportation engineer", our rule of thumb for "good" tips was: the coins, plus a dollar for every $10 ordered. Thus, an $18 and change order, we'd be satisfied with a buck and change. $24, two and change (i.e. $24.40, give $27.) Give an extra buck if the weather's bad (i.e., snowy bad, even if your pizza's a half-hour late and cold, show you appreciate the effort). Give less if the delivery guy screws up badly. And expect worse service if you consistently tip less (unless you're physically unable to pick up the pizza yourself - there was a regular customer we had who was legally blind - but still had a driver's license, figure that one out. :unsure: Keeping her off the roads was its own reward.)

Nowadays, with the price of gas, if I were schlepping pizza I might feel differently. But I have no intention of finding out; my pizza delivery days are OVER, thank God.

CW

What % is a good tip for stolen, er....., infringed DVDs?