Anyone know of any Robot kits for older kids...

The Poojer

there is a new product out by lego called mindstorm or something, that lets you build a programmable robot, however being lego, I feel it might be to "childish" for a 15 year old. I dont want something that is remote controlled, rather something that is programmable...similar to the lego product but geared toward an older crowd...if anyone has any suggestions, i would appreciate any input or advise. Thanks.

there is a new product out by lego called mindstorm or something, that lets you build a programmable robot, however being lego, I feel it might be to "childish" for a 15 year old. I dont want something that is remote controlled, rather something that is programmable...similar to the lego product but geared toward an older crowd...if anyone has any suggestions, i would appreciate any input or advise. Thanks.

I have a Mindstorm set. MIT uses Mindstorm to teach it's freshman-level robotics classes. Trust me, it's not childish, even if it is Legos.

really? that is good to know. Is it something that can be altered with add-ons, additional kits etc???? and are they standart lego parts, except the "brains" that is, I know how easy legos go missing

I have a Mindstorm set. MIT uses Mindstorm to teach it's freshman-level robotics classes. Trust me, it's not childish, even if it is Legos.

really? that is good to know. Is it something that can be altered with add-ons, additional kits etc???? and are they standart lego parts, except the "brains" that is, I know how easy legos go missing

Yep, there's additional kits above and beyond the basic kit. And it'll work with standard Legos...the "brain" and a whole bunch of moving parts (gears, wheels, pulleys, axles, etc.) are rather specialized, but they're all made to the same "snap together" design as regular Legos.

Legos are really an example of marvelous engineering, if you look closely at them. I marvel at the design and development that went into even the simplest brick. But then, I also argue statistics with illiterate idiots, so maybe I need better hobbies. :unsure: