Local blurb about Steinbach

stuckincincy

Some comment on Steinbach (linked article leads off about FA DE Justin Smith)

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0440/1067/SPT02

"Smith seems like perfect fit for Rams

From Missouri roots on up

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM 02/11/07

...ON THE LINE: The Bengals' other top unrestricted free agent is guard Eric Steinbach, who doesn't figure to be in the team's plans. In some views, Steinbach is an out-of-position tackle, and his versatility is one of the reasons Steinbach figures to attract a great deal of attention quickly. Cleveland likes him as a guard, and the Chicago-area native would be a strong addition to an aging Bears offensive line.

In any case, with just a few weeks remaining until the opening of the market, unrestricted free agents are highly unlikely to re-sign with their original teams without getting a feel for interest from other teams.".

I think it's interesting. If a team views him as a tackle, then his agent will use that as leverage in negotiation's to receive tackle money. I don't know if he has ever played tackle in Cincy, so it would be hard for me to pay a lot of money for a guy who has no tackle film at the pro-level.

As far as the Bills go, I think they desperately need to upgrade the guard position....HOWEVER, if Steinbach is looking at Steve Hutchinson type money....then I think that is way overspending for the position. I believe in the Bill Polian philosophy. Build your tackles and center position, and fill in with guards.

I think it's interesting. If a team views him as a tackle, then his agent will use that as leverage in negotiation's to receive tackle money. I don't know if he has ever played tackle in Cincy, so it would be hard for me to pay a lot of money for a guy who has no tackle film at the pro-level.

As far as the Bills go, I think they desperately need to upgrade the guard position....HOWEVER, if Steinbach is looking at Steve Hutchinson type money....then I think that is way overspending for the position. I believe in the Bill Polian philosophy. Build your tackles and center position, and fill in with guards.

He had at least 2 LT starts, plus a start at C plus other playing time at those positions as 3 of 5 B'gal starting linemen missed a lot of games last season.

He had an LT start, and 3/4 of a game at C in '05.

I'd be surprised if he reaches Hutchinson $$$ unless a team was targeting him at LT. Hutchinson was the big benefactor in a p*ssing contest between SEA and MIN.