Happy Birthday to the Dam Man, et al

stuckincincy

Happy Birthday to all!

EII, perhaps a few bans will go into effect and make this a day you treasure. :D:P:D

Thanks all... Had to comment on this thread y'all!

Bill... I am probably more libertarian than one of yours and AD's funky dreams...

You say what gives?

I know where the true blame lies... And where the asscoiation with OTHER'S is...

Just follow the rules and when you don't and eff up... Man up to it!

:wallbash:

Thanks all... Had to comment on this thread y'all!

Bill... I am probably more libertarian than one of yours and AD's funky dreams...

You say what gives?

I know where the true blame lies... And where the asscoiation with OTHER'S is...

Just follow the rules and when you don't and eff up... Man up to it!

:P

HFB, You fcking wacko! :wallbash:

Just one question, EII.... On special days like this, do they let you make it flow forward? :worthy:

HFB, all!

:D

I use the term "backwards" in the purely historical sense... :P I am so PC... :D

There is times it happens... But get this, they call it "reverse flow" then... How the so-called winner/tamer of mother nature gets to make up all the names of what they call it! :worthy:

When it happens it is usually when the Lake gets so low (below -2.00 or so)... They keep the lower pool at about -2.00 which maintains a 9 foot project depth in the canal for navigation... OR when the lower gets to0 much water in it that they can't keep up with it at the next dam down river (at Lockport, IL)... Usually then they are running max at about 25,000 to 30,000 CFS (cubic feet per second) to try and gets things back to "normal"... But anyway, they don't like to send it back out to the lake due to the pollution...

The river won't even freeze around Lockport/Joliet, IL due to the pollution and the difference between pools at the locks there (about 40')...

Right now pool (Lake Michigan) is -.74... Tail is -2.00... So we have a positive flow away from Lake Michigan, with a head (difference between the pools/lift) of a meager +1.26'

We use MSL 1929 (Mean Sea Level) for the gage at zero... Which is 579.48'

There is also IGLD (International Great Lakes Datum) at 578.18'

They call it a "controlling works"... But what the hell I am controlling I really don't know... Seems to have a mind of its own... The lake that is...

To quote Elton: "All the science I don't understand, its just my job five days a week."

:wallbash::worthy:

This is the first time in 15 years that I haven't seen a vessel be able to make it through the gorged ice pack in over a week... We are keeping the machinery running though... It is clear a few miles down stream beneath the bend, the steel plant discharges warm water there... The ice will do a lot of damage to the hulls of the barges if it gets pretty gorged up... Could possibly sink a tow!

Oh... Eryn... You gotta be wacko to be out here now... Times like this it PAYS TO BE WACKO, I am still trying to convince myself that though! :worthy: