Al Gore Gives China a Pass:

pdh1

Yep, Over a Billion People, they won't pollute nothing!

Associated Press

MADRID — Emerging economies such as China are justified in holding back on fighting greenhouse gas emissions until richer polluters like the United States do more to solve the problem, former U.S. vice-president Al Gore said Wednesday.

The world's top climate scientists warned in a report last week global warming is very likely caused by humanity and will last for centuries.

Chinese officials said they will act after industrial countries such as the United States and others make changes, Mr. Gore said, addressing a conference in Madrid on global warming.

“They're right in saying that. But we have to act quickly,” said Mr. Gore, who was nominated last week for a Nobel Peace Prize for his work in drawing attention to global warming.

“China's reaction to the scientific report last week was disappointing, but it was instructive,” Mr. Gore said.

Gore narrated an hour-long slide presentation with graphic evidence of global warming: Antarctic ice shelves cracking and collapsing into the sea, before-and-after shots of glaciers reduced to lakes and small patches of ice and forecasts of heavily populated land masses such as Florida shrinking drastically if glacial meltdown reaches a worst-case scenario and floods the seas.

“Never before has all of civilization been threatened,” Mr. Gore said.

“We have everything we need to save it, with the possible exception of political will. But political will is a renewable resource.”

Yep, Over a Billion People, they won't pollute nothing!

Associated Press

MADRID — Emerging economies such as China are justified in holding back on fighting greenhouse gas emissions until richer polluters like the United States do more to solve the problem, former U.S. vice-president Al Gore said Wednesday.

The world's top climate scientists warned in a report last week global warming is very likely caused by humanity and will last for centuries.

Chinese officials said they will act after industrial countries such as the United States and others make changes, Mr. Gore said, addressing a conference in Madrid on global warming.

"They're right in saying that. But we have to act quickly," said Mr. Gore, who was nominated last week for a Nobel Peace Prize for his work in drawing attention to global warming.

"China's reaction to the scientific report last week was disappointing, but it was instructive," Mr. Gore said.

Gore narrated an hour-long slide presentation with graphic evidence of global warming: Antarctic ice shelves cracking and collapsing into the sea, before-and-after shots of glaciers reduced to lakes and small patches of ice and forecasts of heavily populated land masses such as Florida shrinking drastically if glacial meltdown reaches a worst-case scenario and floods the seas.

"Never before has all of civilization been threatened," Mr. Gore said.

"We have everything we need to save it, with the possible exception of political will. But political will is a renewable resource."

So he's gone from "Global warming is a grave threat" to "Global warming is a grave threat by the West, but not so much if emerging economies cause it."

So he's gone from "Global warming is a grave threat" to "Global warming is a grave threat by the West, but not so much if emerging economies cause it."

idk, I took it more as that Gore thinks that we, as the world's leader, should be the first ones to do something, and therefore China was right in saying what they did.

idk, I took it more as that Gore thinks that we, as the world's leader, should be the first ones to do something, and therefore China was right in saying what they did.

I read that China will over take the US in total polluton by 2020.

If China is trying to place itself was world power, why doesn't it lead by example?

I would think it would be easier to "go green" as you were builing up your economy and industry, then it would be in place like the US were every is already pretty much built (infrastructure and industry).

When the US was growing fast in 1950s, there wasn't many other options than coal and oil.

There is now.....

Plus I would love to see Greenpeace march on China's government buildings and demand action.

How long would it be before the Red Army would come out and run them over with their tanks?

I read that China will over take the US in total polluton by 2020.

If China is trying to place itself was world power, why doesn't it lead by example?

I would think it would be easier to "go green" as you were builing up your economy and industry, then it would be in place like the US were every is already pretty much built (infrastructure and industry).

When the US was growing fast in 1950s, there wasn't many other options than coal and oil.

There is now.....

Plus I would love to see Greenpeace march on China's government buildings and demand action.

How long would it be before the Red Army would come out and run them over with their tanks?

Actually, China is doing quite a bit in that area. You should probably do a little research.

On the private side, one of their richest industrialists is leading the charge toward solar power. The US is hoping he's able to pull it off, because China's gigantic population may lead to an economy of scale that would make it affordable to US consumers.

Actually, China is doing quite a bit in that area. You should probably do a little research.

On the private side, one of their richest industrialists is leading the charge toward solar power. The US is hoping he's able to pull it off, because China's gigantic population may lead to an economy of scale that would make it affordable to US consumers.

And the leaders in the Solar field come from the Silicone Valley in the USA.

Plus, the environmental legislation in the US is MUCH tougher than it is in China.

Why do think we haven't any any refineries built here in almost 30 years?

I read a quote from someone from the Nigerian Government who said they preferred to sell their oil projects to China, as opposed to the US or Europe.

Why?

Because they didn't make a fuss about safety or the environment.....

Some China info for you:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2005-0...ina-cover_x.htm

And did you ever notice that the US is only a "world leader" when everyone else wants us to do something?

No, I hadn't thought about that, but point taken. Other countries sure do go their distance to say that they are better than we are when they attempt to do something.

And the leaders in the Solar field come from the Silicone Valley in the USA.

As they should be. Do you care to give me any other obvious pearls?

Plus, the environmental legislation in the US is MUCH tougher than it is in China.

I guess you do want to give other pearls. Would you expect any less from a Representative Republic that's about 100 years ahead of what is basically a totalitarian regime?

Why do think we haven't any any refineries built here in almost 30 years?

A combination of weak leadership and NIMBY folks running amok. You do know I live in Alaska, a resource economy state, right?

I read a quote from someone from the Nigerian Government who said they preferred to sell their oil projects to China, as opposed to the US or Europe.

Why?

Because they didn't make a fuss about safety or the environment.....

Not exactly news. If you go back and read some of my posts on ANWR, you'll see exactly the same things being stated.

You'll have to forgive me for not giving a moment of my life to USA Today. I'm not at all pointing at China as a world leader in environmentalism, simply telling you that they aren't as bass-ackwards as you seem to believe. So you're going to have to put your right-rhetoric away for awhile, I'm afraid. They have done some things recently to point in the right direction. That was my point.

As they should be. Do you care to give me any other obvious pearls?

You'll have to forgive me for not giving a moment of my life to USA Today. I'm not at all pointing at China as a world leader in environmentalism, simply telling you that they aren't as bass-ackwards as you seem to believe. So you're going to have to put your right-rhetoric away for awhile, I'm afraid. They have done some things recently to point in the right direction. That was my point.

Right-wing rhetoric?

So if am trying to make the point that Gore is being hypocritical about letting China, with world's largest population and the fastest growing industrial economy of the hook, when he shouts all the time about doing something about Global Warming, that now falls under the category of "Right-Wing Rhetoric?"

There maybe some good research going on in China, but as far as for breakthroughs in the field of alternate energy, most of the ground-breaking advancements are coming from the USA and Europe, from Cellulosic Ethanol, Biofuels like Biobutanol, and wave and wind energy. As a matter of fact, some economists are predicting boom in the economy from people investing in the alternate energy field, much like the internet created (but would be longer lasting).

Now what was that, you live in Alaska?

Wow, never would guessed....

Right-wing rhetoric?

So if am trying to make the point that Gore is being hypocritical about letting China, with world's largest population and the fastest growing industrial economy of the hook, when he shouts all the time about doing something about Global Warming, that now falls under the category of "Right-Wing Rhetoric?"

There maybe some good research going on in China, but as far as for breakthroughs in the field of alternate energy, most of the ground-breaking advancements are coming from the USA and Europe, from Cellulosic Ethanol, Biofuels like Biobutanol, and wave and wind energy. As a matter of fact, some economists are predicting boom in the economy from people investing in the alternate energy field, much like the internet created (but would be longer lasting).

Now what was that, you live in Alaska?

Wow, never would guessed....

It has nothing to do with research, for goodness sake. It has to do with POLICY. POLICY.

It has nothing to do with research, for goodness sake. It has to do with POLICY. POLICY.

The article wasn't saying Al Gore was giving China a pass because their POLICY was so great.

It was saying Al Gore though China is right not do much TILL the US did more.

So if Al Gore is making excusing for their inaction, how great can their POLICY be?

MADRID — Emerging economies such as China are justified in holding back on fighting greenhouse gas emissions until richer polluters like anyone who supports Bush, the war, or anyone in Tennessee who did not vote for Al Snore, do more to solve the problem, former U.S. vice-president Al Gore said Wednesday.

Edited for accuracy