Home Repair

Corp000085

So, i had a contractor who specializes in home additions and kitchen renovations come over as a favor from a friend to check out my leaky window. Here's the situation: i have a window that leaks around the interior frame starting from the top, and dripping down to the bottom. It also leaks on the inside of the frame and the water pools out under the baseboards, which has damaged the laminant parquet flooring. The outside of the house is brick, and the window is sealed perfectly to the brick. The guy said that there's a gap between the brick and the outside of the wall and that water absorbs through the brick and is leaking through an improper seal into this inner wall and window, leaking through to the inside of the house. He states that the cheapest solution is to get a brick sealant from a masonry supply warehouse ($150 for 5 gallon bucket) and coat the entire front brick of the house with it and it should solve the problem. He didn't state the name of the stuff (probably because he didn't want to advertise the stuff, but that was obvious) but stated that he used it on his own house and it works like wax on a car or thompson's water sealer on wood or concrete... the water beads up and rolls off. He then stated that if it didn't work, the window would have to comeo out so it could be sealed properly when replaced, with the cost around $1000... Said that someone in his company would do it, but not him since he specialized in other stuff. The guy is credible, and his story sounds credible... for $150, i'll obviously give it a shot myself, which he highly recommended. So, to all you armchair contractors, is this a viable option, or should i find someone to replace the window? If this option sounds good, anyone know of a good product name, since this guy was unwilling to help me on a product? He did give me the place to go to get it though, so i don't know about that... Seems like good advice, but i'd love to hear some answers here!

So, i had a contractor who specializes in home additions and kitchen renovations come over as a favor from a friend to check out my leaky window. Here's the situation: i have a window that leaks around the interior frame starting from the top, and dripping down to the bottom. It also leaks on the inside of the frame and the water pools out under the baseboards, which has damaged the laminant parquet flooring. The outside of the house is brick, and the window is sealed perfectly to the brick. The guy said that there's a gap between the brick and the outside of the wall and that water absorbs through the brick and is leaking through an improper seal into this inner wall and window, leaking through to the inside of the house. He states that the cheapest solution is to get a brick sealant from a masonry supply warehouse ($150 for 5 gallon bucket) and coat the entire front brick of the house with it and it should solve the problem. He didn't state the name of the stuff (probably because he didn't want to advertise the stuff, but that was obvious) but stated that he used it on his own house and it works like wax on a car or thompson's water sealer on wood or concrete... the water beads up and rolls off. He then stated that if it didn't work, the window would have to comeo out so it could be sealed properly when replaced, with the cost around $1000... Said that someone in his company would do it, but not him since he specialized in other stuff. The guy is credible, and his story sounds credible... for $150, i'll obviously give it a shot myself, which he highly recommended. So, to all you armchair contractors, is this a viable option, or should i find someone to replace the window? If this option sounds good, anyone know of a good product name, since this guy was unwilling to help me on a product? He did give me the place to go to get it though, so i don't know about that... Seems like good advice, but i'd love to hear some answers here!

Personally...I would be patching it temporarily, then taking it out come better weather not just to seal it properly but to make sure the wood around it isn't moldy or rotting. It's probably not...but better to check, clean up any damage, and be certain.

But then, I can do windows, so I wouldn't be looking at paying someone else for it. If I were, I might decide otherwise.

Does it leak only when it's raining? Or other times? Does your brick have proper weep holes installed? Could the leak be roof orientated and channeling down the wall and to the top of the window? Water travels the path of least resistance.

Does it leak only when it's raining? Or other times? Does your brick have proper weep holes installed? Could the leak be roof orientated and channeling down the wall and to the top of the window? Water travels the path of least resistance.

no, its definitely coming in that window... there's a window above it with no damage around and the roof vent is above that. I was up in the attic looking to see if it was coming in there and it wasn't. I've pretty much isolated it to an area around that bottom leaky window. The mortar is discolored around it and there's a couple cracks, so the contractor and I both thought that the culprit was in a slight crack in the mortar or just the bricks themselves seeping in the water. It only leaks during driving hurricane force rains blowing from the east, and only after a period of time... usually around 2-3 hours. It's only leaked on me 3 times in 2 years also, so its definitely channeling in slowly from direct rain, then when the moisture has made a bridge, surface tension and physics takes over. As for damage under, i've removed the baseboards and looked behind the drywall... using a mirror, digital camera, and a flashlight, i've determined there's no water damage under there. the studs look as good as new. This is why i believe its a moisture thing through the bricks and around an improper seal on the inside of the outside wall, not the seal on the outside of the outside wall. The brick sealant makes a lot of sense to me. He also suggested using clear silicone caulk to seal up minor imperfefctions in the mortar around one brick near the top of that window which may also be letting water seap in quicker. As the guy said, if that fails, there's a definite plan B, so it sounds like a great opportunity for me to inhale some fumes and waste a good saturday afternoon!

no, its definitely coming in that window... there's a window above it with no damage around and the roof vent is above that. I was up in the attic looking to see if it was coming in there and it wasn't. I've pretty much isolated it to an area around that bottom leaky window. The mortar is discolored around it and there's a couple cracks, so the contractor and I both thought that the culprit was in a slight crack in the mortar or just the bricks themselves seeping in the water. It only leaks during driving hurricane force rains blowing from the east, and only after a period of time... usually around 2-3 hours. It's only leaked on me 3 times in 2 years also, so its definitely channeling in slowly from direct rain, then when the moisture has made a bridge, surface tension and physics takes over. As for damage under, i've removed the baseboards and looked behind the drywall... using a mirror, digital camera, and a flashlight, i've determined there's no water damage under there. the studs look as good as new. This is why i believe its a moisture thing through the bricks and around an improper seal on the inside of the outside wall, not the seal on the outside of the outside wall. The brick sealant makes a lot of sense to me. He also suggested using clear silicone caulk to seal up minor imperfefctions in the mortar around one brick near the top of that window which may also be letting water seap in quicker. As the guy said, if that fails, there's a definite plan B, so it sounds like a great opportunity for me to inhale some fumes and waste a good saturday afternoon!

If that is the case then I would try the sealant, because it sound like an issue with the mortar either degrading or composition. Good luck.