"Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

744 AM EST THU FEB 8 2007

NYZ006>008-082045-

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

744 AM EST THU FEB 8 2007

...EPIC LAKE SNOWS WILL CONTINUE EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO...

THE INTENSE BAND OF SNOW OFF LAKE ONTARIO IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE

TO HIT OSWEGO COUNTY VERY HARD THROUGH 11 AM. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED

TO FALL AT A RATE OF 2 TO 4 INCHES PER HOUR IN THE HEART AND MOST

INTENSE PORTION OF THE BAND.

THE MOST INTENSE PORTION OF THE LAKE BAND WILL MAINTAIN ITSELF

ACROSS THE SOUTHERN HALF OF OSWEGO COUNTY...MAINLY ALONG AND SOUTH

OF A PULASKI TO REDFIELD LINE WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOWS FALLING

AROUND THE PARISH...MEXICO AND OSWEGO AREAS. THESE AREAS COULD

PICK UP ANOTHER FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW THROUGH 11 AM.

THE COMBINATION OF SNOW AND WEST WINDS GUSTING OVER 25 MPH WILL

CONTINUE TO PRODUCE FREQUENT WHITEOUTS AND VERY TREACHEROUS

DRIVING CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY ON NORTH TO SOUTH HIGHWAYS SUCH AS

INTERSTATE 81 AND ROUTES 11 AND 3. SOME ROADS WILL LIKELY BE

IMPASSABLE.

SOME AREAS HAVE ALREADY EXCEEDED 70 INCHES...OR NEARLY 6 FEET OVER

THE PAST THREE DAYS OR SO. THE LAKE SNOWS WILL CONTINUE TO PILE

UP OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

$$

TMA"

The warm December and January hasn't allowed the lake to fully freeze, so the lake effect snow is going to be huge for the rest of the winter. Normally we go through the middle of the winter with no lake effect and just cold temperatures and only get the lake effect at the start and sometimes end of winter

The warm December and January hasn't allowed the lake to fully freeze, so the lake effect snow is going to be huge for the rest of the winter. Normally we go through the middle of the winter with no lake effect and just cold temperatures and only get the lake effect at the start and sometimes end of winter

Evidently, not so for the Tug Hill plateau of NYS...

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/snow/stori...za-tughill.html

As far as Buffalo and the suburbs go the lake effect machine is coming to an end. Lake Erie is 2/3 frozen and another couple days of these temps will freeze what's left open. Lake Ontario is a different story all together. It never freezes completely because of the depth. The lake is constantly turning over and the temp can be 34 one day and 40 the next. That is why the eastern end of Ontario is truly the snow capital of the US. Annual rates exceed 300 inches in area.

i lived in Watertown for 18 years and went to Syracuse university. The trip up and down Route 81 between syracuse and watertown can be a bit tricky in the winter. You can litteraly have blue skies until you hit Pulaski - then you hit a wall of white lake effect.

On numerous occasions it would take three hours to make the trip. It gets so bad that I only stay on the road by following the tail lights of the car in front of me (trusting that car is still on the road.)

Watertown and Syracuse does not get teh snow that Pulaski gets, but they both make Buffalo look snowless.

The Lake Erie snow machine on this end is beginning to shut down.

I'd say the lake is about three-quarters frozen near Cleveland. I can look out my fifth-floor office window and see a white frozen wilderness as far as the eye can see (where the lake should be).

As far as Buffalo and the suburbs go the lake effect machine is coming to an end. Lake Erie is 2/3 frozen and another couple days of these temps will freeze what's left open. Lake Ontario is a different story all together. It never freezes completely because of the depth. The lake is constantly turning over and the temp can be 34 one day and 40 the next. That is why the eastern end of Ontario is truly the snow capital of the US. Annual rates exceed 300 inches in area.

Actually a place in CA gets more annually...

Isn't the record somewhere in the NW with over 1,000"?

:wallbash:

This from someone who tells his wife his is 8 inches. :wallbash:

Don't Oompa Lumpa's like yourself know it isn't the size of the wand, it is the magic in it!

Thank God there is a Willy Wonka to take you guys away from the dreaded Snazwangers!

Navy, Marines what ever department it is... You guys are looking mighty fine these days!

:blink:;)

Actually a place in CA gets more annually...

Isn't the record somewhere in the NW with over 1,000"?

:rolleyes:

The Cascade range. Same snowfall mechanism as around the Great Lakes: arctic air coming over a relatively warm body of water (same thing happens in Hokkaido, for that matter.) Mt. Baker holds the current record at 1140 inches (95 feet). Mt. Rainer is second at about 1100, I believe.