Jeff Samardzija

MrLocke

Drew Henson was drafted by the Houston Texans in the sixth round a few years back. I don't know what kind of baseball prospect he was, but I would imagine he would be about equal with Samardzija in football prior to the draft. The Texans ended up getting a 3rd rounder for Henson, moving up 3 rounds in the draft. Anyway Do you think Samardzija is worth around a 5th rounder? Assuming they are both aboutr equal when it comes to baseball talent in that there is a good chance Samardzija could flop in baseball like Henson did?

I'm going to repeat a post that I have in a different string that explains why you don't draft him at all:

You don't understand some of the nuances of the draft.

A team can only keep a guy's rights for 1 year-if he doesn't sign a football contract he goes back in the draft (see Bo Jackson who was the 1st player taken in the 1986 draft then was taken in the 5th round by the Raiders in 1987). Since it will take more than 1 year for Jeff to bomb out in baseball-and he has a contract that forbids him playing football-he's a totally wasted pick in this year's draft. Now go to the Drew Henson scenario-he was bombing in the minor leagues, to the point the Yankees were desperate to get him into the NFL and off their payroll. Henson played another baseball season after he was drafted, but signed his Dallas contract PRIOR to the next year's draft. Dallas had to make the trade before Henson reentered the draft. By the way, if a player goes through 2 drafts & doesn't sign, he can't be drafted a 3rd time & becomes an unrestricted free agent. So even if he bombs in year 1, it's to his advantage to stay in baseball another year where his bargaining position goes way up if he becomes a "draft dodger".

I hope you now understand why this would be a totally wasted pick.

Drew Henson was drafted by the Houston Texans in the sixth round a few years back. I don't know what kind of baseball prospect he was, but I would imagine he would be about equal with Samardzija in football prior to the draft. The Texans ended up getting a 3rd rounder for Henson, moving up 3 rounds in the draft. Anyway Do you think Samardzija is worth around a 5th rounder? Assuming they are both aboutr equal when it comes to baseball talent in that there is a good chance Samardzija could flop in baseball like Henson did?

Wasn't Henson the last player in the draft, making him Mr. Irrelevant? I thought that was what I remembered.

Henson was picked in the 6th round, pick 192 (out of 262). At the time Casserly said that since a 6th round pick has only a 10% chance of making it, Henson was worth a flyer there.

As it turned out, Henson joined the other 90%, but Houston got a 3 from Dallas for his rights.

I'm going to repeat a post that I have in a different string that explains why you don't draft him at all:

You don't understand some of the nuances of the draft.

A team can only keep a guy's rights for 1 year-if he doesn't sign a football contract he goes back in the draft (see Bo Jackson who was the 1st player taken in the 1986 draft then was taken in the 5th round by the Raiders in 1987). Since it will take more than 1 year for Jeff to bomb out in baseball-and he has a contract that forbids him playing football-he's a totally wasted pick in this year's draft. Now go to the Drew Henson scenario-he was bombing in the minor leagues, to the point the Yankees were desperate to get him into the NFL and off their payroll. Henson played another baseball season after he was drafted, but signed his Dallas contract PRIOR to the next year's draft. Dallas had to make the trade before Henson reentered the draft. By the way, if a player goes through 2 drafts & doesn't sign, he can't be drafted a 3rd time & becomes an unrestricted free agent. So even if he bombs in year 1, it's to his advantage to stay in baseball another year where his bargaining position goes way up if he becomes a "draft dodger".

I hope you now understand why this would be a totally wasted pick.

Thank you for clearing that up for him.

I have a feeling you will be answering that question another 50 times before the draft.

the only correct answer to this question is... YOU DONT DRAFT HIM.

As far as I know, Shark is a better MLB prospect than Henson was too. Henson was a free swinger, and he hacked his way right out of the minor leagues. Shark's a pitcher with decent stuff.