6. Marcus Hamilton CB

7. Jeff Samardjia WR (taking a flyer)

With trading picks:

1. Aaron Sears (pick up a 2nd after trading way back) OG

2. Zach Miller TE

2. Justin Harrell DT

3. Lorenzo Booker RB

4. Dan Mozes C

5. David Clowney WR (regained our 5th after trading way back in the 3rd)

6. Marcus Hamilton CB

7. Jeff Samardjia WR (taking a flyer)

I know there's no way to predict if there are any drafting partners, so I was just going with two realistic trading scenarios.

Thoughts?

Jeff Samardjia will most likely be taken earlier then that, probably the 4th or 5th round

Rocket Ismail went in the 4th and Henson went in the 3rd or 4th I believe

That's ok, I ran out of ideas in the 7th so I just threw that possibility out there.

Jeff Szmardja is playing baseball, end of conversation.

Ok wiseguy. The Texans took Drew Henson in the 6th round which eventually turned into a 3rd round pick from Dallas. If Jeff's baseball plans fall through (which in MLB is always within the realm of possibilities), then the Bills will either have a very good receiver prospect or trading material (especially with whomever drafted Brady Quinn).

Until Jeff proves himself in MLB, the conversation will still be ongoing buddy boy.

no LBs :lol:

could be the thinnest area on the team in terms of starter quality

I think with every draft scenario there going to be an area that will not be able to be addressed. If you're going to pick a linebacker that will compete for a starting position then you'll have to pick one using a 1st or 2nd rounder. I really think that finishing the rebuilding of the offensive and defensive lines is higher on the priority list than linebacker. Right now we have Spikes, Crowell and Ellison (assuming Fletcher is gone). There may be a couple of FAs LBs out there to be had for depth or even starting purposes.

I think with every draft scenario there going to be an area that will not be able to be addressed. If you're going to pick a linebacker that will compete for a starting position then you'll have to pick one using a 1st or 2nd rounder. I really think that finishing the rebuilding of the offensive and defensive lines is higher on the priority list than linebacker. Right now we have Spikes, Crowell and Ellison (assuming Fletcher is gone). There may be a couple of FAs LBs out there to be had for depth or even starting purposes.

I agree we are thin at LB in particular if Fletcher says adios. However, as I do not see the draft offering us much help in 2007 from what is generally seen as a weak LB corps to choose from, i agree with the thought we take no LBs in this draft and instead look to FA for LB assistance.

Your thoughts are a mere improvement simply as the leave behind the idea of the Bills taking Willis to start at MLB. The likely long learning curve for even a talented player to master the cover like a safety/tackle like a DT requirements of an MLB in our version of the Cover 2 would make the Bills fairly painful to watch play D for at least a season (if not more) if we draft a rookie (even a talented one) to play MLB for us.

Ok wiseguy. The Texans took Drew Henson in the 6th round which eventually turned into a 3rd round pick from Dallas. If Jeff's baseball plans fall through (which in MLB is always within the realm of possibilities), then the Bills will either have a very good receiver prospect or trading material (especially with whomever drafted Brady Quinn).

Until Jeff proves himself in MLB, the conversation will still be ongoing buddy boy.

Ok, so you want to wait 3-4 years to figure out if he's going to make it in MLB? Or even longer? I wouldn't be so ready to just take a flyer on even a 7th rounder. Consider how much pennington contributed immediately to us last year. Just doesn't make sense imo, especially when he's already 100% committed himself to baseball with a guaranteed money multi-year contract.

One could argue that LB was Levy's #1 priority last year, and AJ Hawk was taken right before our pick by the Packers.

Some think taking an OLB is in the cards. I disagree. The performance of Ellison and Crowell, the rehab of Takeo, and the re-signing of Coy Wire make this less likely. The offensive line is a priority at Guard (read: Blalock or Grubbs in the 2nd Round), and the Defensive Line is a big question mark. A lot depends on whether Branch and Okoye are still on the board. If they aren't, Pitcock is in play in RD#2 and Ryan McBean is a trade down possibility in RD#3. After that, we're probably better off with who we have.

You don't understand some of the nuances of the draft.

A team can only keep a guy's rights for 1 year-if he doesn't sign a football contract he goes back in the draft (see Bo Jackson who was the 1st player taken in the 1986 draft then was taken in the 5th round by the Raiders in 1987). Since it will take more than 1 year for Jeff to bomb out in baseball-and he has a contract that forbids him playing football-he's a totally wasted pick in this year's draft. Now go to the Drew Henson scenario-he was bombing in the minor leagues, to the point the Yankees were desperate to get him into the NFL and off their payroll. Henson played another baseball season after he was drafted, but signed his Dallas contract PRIOR to the next year's draft. Dallas had to make the trade before Henson reentered the draft. By the way, if a player goes through 2 drafts & doesn't sign, he can't be drafted a 3rd time & becomes an unrestricted free agent. So even if he bombs in year 1, it's to his advantage to stay in baseball another year where his bargaining position goes way up if he becomes a "draft dodger".

I hope you now understand why this would be a totally wasted pick.

Now go to the Drew Henson scenario-he was bombing in the minor leagues, to the point the Yankees were desperate to get him into the NFL and off their payroll. Henson played another baseball season after he was drafted, but signed his Dallas contract PRIOR to the next year's draft. Dallas had to make the trade before Henson reentered the draft.

Don't you mean Houston needed to sign him and make the trade?

Don't you mean Houston needed to sign him and make the trade?

Houston traded his rights & he signed with Dallas. Houston didn't want his signing bonus on their cap because it would have accelerated onto their cap the second they traded him. So what happened was Dallas worked out a contract, Houston then traded his rights, and he signed with Dallas. He never signed a contract with Houston because of salary cap rules.

One could argue that LB was Levy's #1 priority last year, and AJ Hawk was taken right before our pick by the Packers.

Some think taking an OLB is in the cards. I disagree. The performance of Ellison and Crowell, the rehab of Takeo, and the re-signing of Coy Wire make this less likely. The offensive line is a priority at Guard (read: Blalock or Grubbs in the 2nd Round), and the Defensive Line is a big question mark. A lot depends on whether Branch and Okoye are still on the board. If they aren't, Pitcock is in play in RD#2 and Ryan McBean is a trade down possibility in RD#3. After that, we're probably better off with who we have.

I don't like your choices at DT, I think your focusing too much on the size thing. While the defense does seemingly call for smaller DTs we still need a NT type prospect. If looking for someone in the mid rounds then DeMarcus Tyler or Brandon Mebane could be guys to consider. Yet I think a veteran is the better way to go since we already have two young guys in Kyle Williams and John McCargo already at DT. I'll continue to harp on Ian Scott or Alvin McKinley until they sign elsewhere.

You don't understand some of the nuances of the draft.

A team can only keep a guy's rights for 1 year-if he doesn't sign a football contract he goes back in the draft (see Bo Jackson who was the 1st player taken in the 1986 draft then was taken in the 5th round by the Raiders in 1987). Since it will take more than 1 year for Jeff to bomb out in baseball-and he has a contract that forbids him playing football-he's a totally wasted pick in this year's draft. Now go to the Drew Henson scenario-he was bombing in the minor leagues, to the point the Yankees were desperate to get him into the NFL and off their payroll. Henson played another baseball season after he was drafted, but signed his Dallas contract PRIOR to the next year's draft. Dallas had to make the trade before Henson reentered the draft. By the way, if a player goes through 2 drafts & doesn't sign, he can't be drafted a 3rd time & becomes an unrestricted free agent. So even if he bombs in year 1, it's to his advantage to stay in baseball another year where his bargaining position goes way up if he becomes a "draft dodger".

I hope you now understand why this would be a totally wasted pick.

Get off the rag pal. I still think you're wrong because the Texans still had Henson's rights three years after he bombed in baseball. Maybe there was a rule change that I'm not aware of, so if that's the case then a thousand appologies. Just don't tell me what I understand regarding the nuances of the draft, in fact just sftu and don't reply to anymore of my posts if you're going to be a rude pos. It was a 7th round pick, get the f over it.

Get off the rag pal. I still think you're wrong because the Texans still had Henson's rights three years after he bombed in baseball. Maybe there was a rule change that I'm not aware of, so if that's the case then a thousand appologies. Just don't tell me what I understand regarding the nuances of the draft, in fact just sftu and don't reply to anymore of my posts if you're going to be a rude pos. It was a 7th round pick, get the f over it.

No, actually YOU are the one thats wrong on many accounts. The texans drafted henson in 2003. It was a 6th round pick. He had been playing baseball since 2001. If the texans didnt reach an agreement with henson, he would have entered the 2004 draft. Instead, in 2004, prior to the draft, they traded henson to the cowboys for a 2005 3rd round pick.

Henson was draft eligible in 2003, because 5 years had passed since he enrolled at michigan.

No, actually YOU are the one thats wrong on many accounts. The texans drafted henson in 2003. It was a 6th round pick. He had been playing baseball since 2001. If the texans didnt reach an agreement with henson, he would have entered the 2004 draft. Instead, in 2004, prior to the draft, they traded henson to the cowboys for a 2005 3rd round pick.

Henson was draft eligible in 2003, because 5 years had passed since he enrolled at michigan.

This is correct.

Ok, please go ahead and argue some more after misconstruing what I said. When I said get the f over it, it was in regards to him having a problem with MY 7th round pick, NOT HOUSTON'S 6th round pick. Never in the history of draft discussions has there ever been such piss and vinegar over someone's mock 7th round draft pick. If this is the way it's going to be over here then then we're in trouble. I'll tell you one thing, you're not going to bully me buddy.