Ford reviving the Taurus

beerme1

Ford apparently is going to rename their current model Five Hundred. They are switching it's name to the Taurus.

There. Problems are all fixed boys. Nice job. Atta boy. That'll restore profitibility.

Now they'll sell 200,000 of these Five Hundreds. :rolleyes:

Ford apparently is going to rename their current model Five Hundred. They are switching it's name to the Taurus.

There. Problems are all fixed boys. Nice job. Atta boy. That'll restore profitibility.

Now they'll sell 200,000 of these Five Hundreds. :rolleyes:

The full-size 500 and its clone - Mercury Montego, are well-regarded. Among the best of safety ratings, excellent visibility, huge trunk, nice handling, availability of AWD. Generous discounts.

But it has - in my view - a fatal flaw...its 6-speed automatic transmission can, manually, only be downshifted to Low. Being able to select lower intermediate gears is important for vehicle control in some road conditions. It's trivial to provide that capability.

The car while well regarded is under powered which I guess they are changing by putting in a new 3.5 L that is also in the Edge which is said to be lacking power for a 260hp engine.

No matter I call BS. When you just rebadge a current model for one you just discontinued only months earlier, it must raise some questions as to whatthe hell you're doing.

Ford needs more ingenuity than this to pull out of it issues.

The car while well regarded is under powered which I guess they are changing by putting in a new 3.5 L that is also in the Edge which is said to be lacking power for a 260hp engine.

No matter I call BS. When you just rebadge a current model for one you just discontinued only months earlier, it must raise some questions as to whatthe hell you're doing.

Ford needs more ingenuity than this to pull out of it issues.

Recycling names is commonplace. As is using the same name for a radically different construction.

The "500" is a legacy of when Ford - like many manufacturers - only offered 1 model. Toyota transferred the Celica name through several RWD platforms and used it for the FWD platform. Pontiac once stuck the LeMans name on a '80's Daewoo.

The 203 hp 3.0 L V-6 is not a barn-burner, but does offer adequate acceleration. Where will you use more in 65 mph America?

Drag racing for a good number of years has been deemed more horrible than first degree assault & battery.

No wonder youth are angry - stuck with FWD rides. Ugh. :rolleyes:

Recycling names is commonplace.

The 203 hp 3.0 L V-6 is not a barn-burner, but does offer adequate acceleration. Where will you use more in 65 mph America?

No wonder youth are angry - stuck with FWD rides. Ugh. :rolleyes:

I get that. But when you remove a name on a current model that has only been around what 3 years and replace that name with one that you just chit canned three months ago? I dont get that.

Where in America other than Ohio, do you drive only 65? Hell if you travel to Ontario you are going to be pushed around if you go less than 75. And in America I drive 75 also except in Ohio where I have learned my lesson 3 times and now just set the cruise and try to get the hell out of that state as quickly as I can. At 65 mph :rolleyes:

Ricers. they don't mind em.

And to think that Bill Ford has mortgaged his family's 289 houses and factorys and this is the next big announcement? <_<

I think Bill better start looking over his shoulder at the Family Christmas dinner.