Triplett and Edge

bdelma

im sure edge is drying his tears with $500 dollar bills

You know, this is such a bunch of crap and you'll just have to forgive my elitist ass for calling you on it.

Maybe it's just the sales guy in me, but the thing about chasing big money is that the thrill is often times about the chase. If you think for one minute that Edge wasn't watching the game this weekend and pissing his pants because he missed the chance to win a Super Bowl...maybe even get an MVP out of it...then I fear you just don't know jackschitt about life and money. This game could have been his ticket to the Hall of Fame. You think he gets there based on his current position in Arizona, heading into his second season with as many head coaches?

Believe this: the older you get, the more you care about quality of life, and when you get even older you start thinking about what good you've accomplished in your life, and in the end, it's not what you have, but what you did.

Please stop with this whole "Edge has the money so he just doesn't care" because it shows a tremendous lack of insight.

Leaving a legacy is one of a competitor's greatest drivers. Edge can count his cash until he's blue in the face but he kissed goodbye to a ticket to the HOF. We also saw this year how Edge's great Indy numbers were dependent on a credible offensive line. Weaker OL in Arizona, weaker results.

The sad thing is that he STILL out-rushed Willis last year.

Willis played 14 games to Edge's 16. Willis averaged 3.8 and Edge averaged 3.4. Plus, Edge's long was 18 yards and Willis' long was 57. And yet with less playing time, he still had the same number of TDs as Edge. That doesn't include his total of four 20+ yard runs to Edge's zero.

I think I just did that research to find out you were just being funny. I hate when I miss sarcasm. Hate it.

Go where the money is and see what happens!

I love how people post crap like this without having a clue about what actually happened...the Colts had no intention of resigning either of these guys so them signing with another team is a moot point

get a clue before you decide to talk smack

But Willis was leading the league in rushing after week 3! That's what I was told when I questioned if Willis was an elite back way back in September.

You know, this is such a bunch of crap and you'll just have to forgive my elitist ass for calling you on it.

Maybe it's just the sales guy in me, but the thing about chasing big money is that the thrill is often times about the chase. If you think for one minute that Edge wasn't watching the game this weekend and pissing his pants because he missed the chance to win a Super Bowl...maybe even get an MVP out of it...then I fear you just don't know jackschitt about life and money. This game could have been his ticket to the Hall of Fame. You think he gets there based on his current position in Arizona, heading into his second season with as many head coaches?

Believe this: the older you get, the more you care about quality of life, and when you get even older you start thinking about what good you've accomplished in your life, and in the end, it's not what you have, but what you did.

Please stop with this whole "Edge has the money so he just doesn't care" because it shows a tremendous lack of insight.

I think that rings true for many, but not all. You and I may think that way, but we don't have gold front teeth either. Well i've never seen you but your posts don't lend me to think you do anyway. All athletes strive for greatness when they begin their athletic careers, and some remain consumed with championships. However, Along the way, business skews that vision for some. While Edge may think winning a superbowl would have been nice, from the public perception of the guy, it seems Benjamin green is sweeter than Lombardi silver.

How in the world can you say this. Do you speak with Edge on daily, monthly or even yearly basis? To paint broad strokes over a entire class of people, in this case pro athletes, just can not be done.

For some, the way they might keep score is the size of their contract. For others, it may be SuperBowl rings.

As some one pointed out above, it could be a combo of both. Maybe the Colts offer was 50% below the Cards, and Edge really had no choice but to move?

Of course if Colts had retained Triplett, it's probable they wouldn't have traded for Booger, and you can draw your own conclusion whether they'd been able to stop Balto's & NE's run games...

Willis played 14 games to Edge's 16. Willis averaged 3.8 and Edge averaged 3.4. Plus, Edge's long was 18 yards and Willis' long was 57. And yet with less playing time, he still had the same number of TDs as Edge. That doesn't include his total of four 20+ yard runs to Edge's zero.

I think I just did that research to find out you were just being funny. I hate when I miss sarcasm. Hate it.

I'm no Willis apologist, but some facts need to be posted here. LABF makes good points above...Let me expand:

Willis really played 13 games, essentially missing all of the Green Bay game, as well as games against Houston and Indy- all of them weak run defenses.

If we assume Willis rushed for 75% of A-Train's 260 yards in those games (even though Thomas averaged 3.5 ypc this year to Willis' 3.8) that would give him an extra 195 for the season, putting him at 1185. Add in maybe another TD, a few more catches, and Willis' would be right near the top-10 in NFL backs for production. (That rushing total alone would've placed him 12th.) I'm not a fan of paying him top dollar, but I'm also not a fan of letting a very productive player walk away because people don't like his intelligence or sexual escapades.

Also consider, in the games Willis did play, he faced many of the top rushing defenses in the NFL. The run defense ranks are in parenthesis: Minnesota (1), Baltimore (2), Jacksonville (4), two games vs. New England (5), Chicago (6), San Diego (7), and two games against Miami (8). That's nine games against teams ranked in the Top-8 against the run.

Get rid of Willis, and what are we hoping to pick up? Maybe a back who could gain 1100-1200 yards and 8-9 TD's? Yeah, good idea, let's try to find one of those...

Leaving a legacy is one of a competitor's greatest drivers. Edge can count his cash until he's blue in the face but he kissed goodbye to a ticket to the HOF. We also saw this year how Edge's great Indy numbers were dependent on a credible offensive line. Weaker OL in Arizona, weaker results.

Leaving a legacy by being on an SD winning team (or even several for that matter)? Puhleeze.

I am reminded of the ramblings of a Cowboy who was either Dyuane Thomas or Hollywood Henderson who when asked if this was the most important moment in his life just prior to an SB replied, no! If it's so important why do they play it every year?

Certainly, there is a legacy (with a really small L rather than a large one) if you want to attribute that word to the mere factoid of sports accomplishments. However, even in this small world or note being on an SB winner (and for the most part being on a couple of SB winners is little more than a bullet point among a list of achievements.

I mean tell me about the legacy of a player like Antowain Smith who played on at least one (I'm not sure if he got cut before the second which says something that even this football junkie who is aware of him as a former Bill cannot recall his presence or not on an SB winner) and I think it provides some real sense of what this means.

It certainly means a lot to an individual and one cannot diminish that and it is certainly better to win than lose (generally speaking but I know in my life some of the greatest things came from some of the bad moments and in some cases define them). However, the true measure of a person and even a player when one totals up the trivia of sports accomplishments is often found in how a person responds to unfortunate occurences.

Sure Trip and Edge almost certainly correctly feel bad on missing out, but if this feeling is not accompanied by (and certainly not canceled out by) happiness for their former teammates reaching and winning the game (this year) then there was likely something wrong with their experience of being a Colt and possibly them.

Legacy? Maybe from getting elected to the HOF but this game and its outcome is almost certainly a subscript for any of the players and the bigger it is in their resume, the smaller their resume must be overall.

I bet you're not considering receiving yards are you? How about blitz pickup? How about basic intelligence (on the field)? I bet Edge and Willis are equals right? And since Willis fans always insist on bringing this up when it suits them, why don't you compare Arizona's OL to the Bills'?

I thought so.

I've said it since Travis left town, and I'll say it again, as a complete RB Willis is below average, and on some days pathetic. Take a look around the league at all the rookies performing (and looking) better than our stiff. I'd even take Adai over WM.

I bet you're not considering receiving yards are you? How about blitz pickup? How about basic intelligence (on the field)? I bet Edge and Willis are equals right? And since Willis fans always insist on bringing this up when it suits them, why don't you compare Arizona's OL to the Bills'?

I thought so.

I've said it since Travis left town, and I'll say it again, as a complete RB Willis is below average, and on some days pathetic. Take a look around the league at all the rookies performing (and looking) better than our stiff. I'd even take Adai over WM.

My response was strictly to the comment that Edge outrushed Willis this year. If you simply look at number of yards, then yes, he did. But that is a terribly unfair analysis of the two backs. But since you mention receiving yards, then consider that while Edge had 217 yards on 38 receptions, he had an average of 5.7 yards with a long of 14. McGahee had only 156 yards, but they came on 18 passes for an average of 8.7 yards...a full three-yards-per-catch differential. Plus, Willis had two for 20+ yards and one for 40+ yards and Edge had none over 20 yards.

Again, I'm not defending McGahee because I'm not completely sold on him as a consistent and well-rounded performer. I'm arguing against the comment that Edge outrushed Willis, which is technically is true, but sensibly is nonsense.

that would matter for you or i or most normal people. but have you ever seen edge in an interview??

im sure, of course, as he watched the game he regretted not being there. but i dont think he's letting it get him that down. EDGE is the one that made the decision to go to a lesser team. that was his decision, and im sure he weighed the pros and cons.

YOU please stop with your "talking down" act, over a joke post, because it shows a tremendous amount of douchebaggery

To be fair to edge, the Colts were reluctant to compensate him at his fair market value....Edge when he was with the Colts was a Top 7 RB in the league....Unfortunately, the Colts were salary cap strapped and were not in a position to give him a Clinton Portis like contract. He just chose to move on. If the Cardinals improve (which is possible with the kind of talent they have on offense and the new coaching staff) in a weak division and be a playoff competitor in the next 4-5 years I am sure his HoF chances will be still pretty good...