No Edge, No Problem

zow2

I think the big trend of this Superbowl is that you don't need the expensive workhorse RB anymore. Rhodes (who had not had a 100 yd game sine 2001) and Addai are nice RB's but certainly not guys that are going to max out the salary cap. Unless your name is Tomlinson, Larry Johnson or Sean Alexander..there's no need to sign a RB for big bucks. Just get yourself two capable backs and you are set to go. RB is the easiest position to fill on an NFL roster.

I think the big trend of this Superbowl is that you don't need the expensive workhorse RB anymore. Rhodes (who had not had a 100 yd game sine 2001) and Addai are nice RB's but certainly not guys that are going to max out the salary cap. Unless your name is Tomlinson, Larry Johnson or Sean Alexander..there's no need to sign a RB for big bucks. Just get yourself two capable backs and you are set to go. RB is the easiest position to fill on an NFL roster.

I couldn't agree more, having a couple of decent production RB's not only saves money but it saves on the wear and tear of their bodies. I'd venture a guess and say that a RB who shares carries is going to have a much longer career expectancy.

The only downside is that in order to have 2 successful backs it seems that you need to have "team players" that aren't concerned with getting 1500 yards with 10-20 TD's.

Willis could never be part of a 2 back offensive system.

I couldn't agree more, having a couple of decent production RB's not only saves money but it saves on the wear and tear of their bodies. I'd venture a guess and say that a RB who shares carries is going to have a much longer career expectancy.

The only downside is that in order to have 2 successful backs it seems that you need to have "team players" that aren't concerned with getting 1500 yards with 10-20 TD's.

Willis could never be part of a 2 back offensive system.

Very well said. Terrell Davis didn't last very long did he. Six seasons and out.

Agreed. Just look @ the number of championships the Falcons have racked up w/ their RB by committee approach.

Easy.

Agreed. Just look @ the number of championships the Falcons have racked up w/ their RB by committee approach.

Easy.

What do the Falcons have to do with it?!? The point is that the myth of needing that one great RB to carry the load is blown up. Rhodes/Addai, Benson/Jones, McAllister/Bush, Dillon/Maroney...are just a few examples that dual RB's work just fine. It also helps to have an excellent QB that knows how to dump the ball off to these guys. I would say Grossman is lousy at that aspect but Jones and Benson still had a decent year running the ball.

What do the Falcons have to do with it?!? The point is that the myth of needing that one great RB to carry the load is blown up. Rhodes/Addai, Benson/Jones, McAllister/Bush, Dillon/Maroney...are just a few examples that dual RB's work just fine. It also helps to have an excellent QB that knows how to dump the ball off to these guys. I would say Grossman is lousy at that aspect but Jones and Benson still had a decent year running the ball.

we'll just ignore the facts that benson was the #4 overall pick designed to REPLACE jones, who chiago didnt like, addai was a 1st round pick who was selected beause indy didnt think rhodes could handle a full load all season, maroney was drafted in round 1 because dillon is old/injury prone and may not even be in NE next season, and bush was drafted #2 overall because hes an explosive weapon, and deuce was coming off an ACL tear.

It takes more than a couple sturdy runners to win the NFL championship. A good defense, a solid offensive line, good coaching, and those pesky "intangibles" (like having the resolve to overcome a defecit, keeping composure by limiting the amount of stupid penalties and turnovers, and not getting too complacent when your team is ahead) also go a long way towards winning a title. Having more than one guy is great, but if that's all it took, Atlanta would've won a couple Super Bowls by now.

When Manning is your QB, and Harrison, Wayne, and Clark are you go to guys, your right, there is no need for a top caliber RB.

What? No cred for the O-line? Maybe that's the difference maker.

PTR

Let's give some credit to Lovie Smith as well, who decided that his safeties could lineup 18 yards from the LOS and then backpedal five yards on the snap....A lot of 5-6 yard runs were quickly becoming 12-13 yard runs...