The Champ

Kids

Birth of a Nation

Any Jazz of Blues early years documentary

Promises

Wit

Being John Malkovich

The Deer Hunter

Some good titles have been mentioned but thought toss in American Beauty, Bully, Ghost World and Brian's Song.

House of Sand and fog had some of the greatest acting you'll ever see in a film. Great choice.

My choice will be "Life is Beautiful", which also happens to be my favorite movie of all time.

House of Sand and fog had some of the greatest acting you'll ever see in a film. Great choice.

My choice will be "Life is Beautiful", which also happens to be my favorite movie of all time.

Life is Beautiful is one of my favorite films ever! I dont find it depressing- I find it inspiring! What a father!

Other films mentioned- "Brians Song"- very sad. I watched when I was in 6th grade. I say "Wit" is more depressing

"American Beauty" is another one of my favorite movies! I found that very inspiring as well! Keven Spacey lived how we all should!

Buffalo '66 :D

Isnt that an upbeat film too? I mean besides the fact we are Buffalo Bills fans- that film was not too far from the truth. I am damn proud of being a Buffalo Bills fan. The film is about the fact there is some great girl out there for everyone, no matter what your flaws are. Another film which I found uplifting. What can I say, I am an optimist!

Affliction

Especially the part where Nick Nolte sets fire to the garage, with his dead father inside of it.....Nolte goes in the house, sits in the kitchen, pours himself a shot of whiskey and then looks out this gigantic window at the inferno, almost admiring his handiwork.....people who have been beaten down so badly both mentally and physically that they have lost all concept of normalcy and common sense.

It is very old, but I strongly recommend "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" to those who like depressing movies. My daughter cries every time she sees it. It's a wonderful film (based on a true story) about poor people in NYC many years ago.

For more recent pictures, Angela's Ashes was a wrist slitter.