i know most of you are anti-pirating

DrDawkinstein

96 Tears by ? and the Mysterians?

:blink:

There is so much wrong with this post that it's almost funny. If you think bands are just NOW putting out CD's with one or two good songs on them your nuts. They have been doing it forever. The first CD I bought back in 1988 cost me about $15 bucks. Guess what the price of a CD today is? Around $15 bucks, cheaper if you get it at Best Buy. So the aurgument about prices being higher is false. I'm sure if whoever is stealing music wouldn't mind if the products or services that thier jobs provide were suddenly available for free so people could steal them that they wouldn't mind.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you're found guilty of criminal copyright infringement, I disagree. If you steal 50 CDs from Best Buy, you might get sent to jail. If you download 50 CDs, you're probably just going to be found liable for copyright infringement and have to pay money to the copyright holder.

I see stealing music as stealing music. Just because it's "cleaner" to steal an electronic copy than walk out of a music store with one under your jacket doesn't diminish that it's theft either way.

If I steal 50 CDs, I'll be charged with petty larceny, no big deal (relatively speaking). If I download those same songs from the CDs, I can be fined $150,000/song. That's quite a difference...

And just because you see stealing music as stealing music, doesn't mean it's true. The definition of theft (from the Merriam-Webster dictionary) is:

"the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it "

Notice the "deprive the rightful owner of it" portion. Without that, it's not theft or stealing, regardless of whether you want it to be or not. I'm not saying it's legal by any stretch of the imagination, but let's call it what it really is.

CW

lol, that was not meant to offend people that are actual grandparents. my granparents are my favorite people ive ever met in my entire life! :blink:

Mine raised me - they were the best!

you got any hardcandies on ya gramps?

That sounds like entrapment to me. :lol:

Don't worry, I do not offend very easily.

ive never met anyone from Lackawanna(my whole family) that offends easily and doesnt have a sense of humor

I was born there but grew up in Hamburg.

Man, in the sixties, your car would get dirty just PARKING it in Lackawanna. Hopefully it has cleaned up some.

South Buffalo in general was great. My parents were WWII vets and 1st generation immigrants (Grandma was a Rosie the Riveter). Anyone who looks at what they had to overcome and then complains about how tough it is today is a f**king baby.

Sorry to deflect your post, but aren't you guys tired of arguing about whether or not ripping a CD is legal yet?

I recorded the Beatles White Album when it "debuted" on WKBW on a reel to reel, but later bought the vinyl.

If I steal 50 CDs, I'll be charged with petty larceny, no big deal (relatively speaking). If I download those same songs from the CDs, I can be fined $150,000/song. That's quite a difference...

I'm not trying to engage you in a debate about the differences between intellectual property and personal property. Here's what I'm saying: when you steal music online, it's only moderately different than stealing from Best Buy. Again, it's that white collar vs. blue collar crime issue. I see them both as theft but of course understand that when DrD steals his music, he couldn't be charged with theft.

150K/song would be a highly unlikely damages reward.

If I am honest with myself, I have to agree with you.

I still do it sometimes, but I know I am just pretending I am NOT breaking a law, to make me feel better about it.

I'm not trying to engage you in a debate about the differences between intellectual property and personal property. Here's what I'm saying: when you steal music online, it's only moderately different than stealing from Best Buy. Again, it's that white collar vs. blue collar crime issue. I see them both as theft but of course understand that when DrD steals his music, he couldn't be charged with theft.

150K/song would be a highly unlikely damages reward.

no, you know what, !@#$ it, dont bother responding. it was cute when you were jsut playing the !@#$ gimmick. but you cant seem to break out of it. you are just some joke of a low-level, no power attorney that is pissed off cause his career sucks so he feels the need to come to a FOOTBALL message board, but yet, you RARELY post about football. you come here to try to make yourself feel better about your dead end life by having political debates, which you SHOULD have an unfair advantage in. but you dont, and when someone comes at you with a valid point you throw mud. awesome. youre now on ignore. put this in your !@#$ing post signature. youre a joke.

no, you know what, !@#$ it, dont bother responding. it was cute when you were jsut playing the !@#$ gimmick. but you cant seem to break out of it. you are just some joke of a low-level, no power attorney that is pissed off cause his career sucks so he feels the need to come to a FOOTBALL message board, but yet, you RARELY post about football. you come here to try to make yourself feel better about your dead end life by having political debates, which you SHOULD have an unfair advantage in. but you dont, and when someone comes at you with a valid point you throw mud. awesome. youre now on ignore. put this in your !@#$ing post signature. youre a joke.

you need to relax.

and BTW, the more you post on the subject - the worse you come across.

dude i had a sense of humor for the first 6 pages of your drivel. get a new act or stop for one sec so we can actually talk about this. at this point i dont really give a sh--. im not MAD in the least bit or anything like that. youre hardly the first internet douchebag ive come across, and definitely not the worst. if you want to be a joke for an entire 7+ page thread on a topic that you probably couldve really contributed to, go ahead. i dont give a sh--.

you need to relax.

and BTW, the more you post on the subject - the worse you come across.

i was relaxed with him for the entire thread. but enough is enough already. he stopped being any sort of quality poster back on page 3. i can stand another 3 pages of insults, but f it. i really dont care how i come across to him or anyone else now.

if people cant see that i TRIED to have a smart, civil discussion, then i really dont care.

this was my first venture into the OT board. lesson learned, theres nothing here but people who want to throw insults.

ill stick to the football talk from now on. theres a much classier group in there anyways.

You know, the mental health profession is doing wonderful things in psychopharmacology these days...