i know most of you are anti-pirating

DrDawkinstein

I fixed your post...Best Buy...sheesh!!! :lol::lol::thumbsup:

There is so much wrong with this post that it's almost funny. If you think bands are just NOW putting out CD's with one or two good songs on them your nuts. They have been doing it forever. The first CD I bought back in 1988 cost me about $15 bucks. Guess what the price of a CD today is? Around $15 bucks, cheaper if you get it at Circuit City. So the aurgument about prices being higher is false. I'm sure if whoever is stealing music wouldn't mind if the products or services that thier jobs provide were suddenly available for free so people could steal them that they wouldn't mind.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is so much wrong with this post that it's almost funny. If you think bands are just NOW putting out CD's with one or two good songs on them your nuts. They have been doing it forever. The first CD I bought back in 1988 cost me about $15 bucks. Guess what the price of a CD today is? Around $15 bucks, cheaper if you get it at Best Buy. So the aurgument about prices being higher is false. I'm sure if whoever is stealing music wouldn't mind if the products or services that thier jobs provide were suddenly available for free so people could steal them that they wouldn't mind.

There are very, very few people putting out music (and I mean the actual music itself) that are doing it for the money. Many will never see a dime, but continue to play clubs and put stuff out because it's art, and more importantly it's a total blast. Shed no tears for any of those people who package someone else's art and whine that they're not reaping bigger rewards for doing nothing and whose only skill is to schmooze. They who B word the loudest are the ones who are in the biggest danger of being rendered obsolete when more and more bands decide to just do it themselves.

i wasnt sure if i should believe JohnAdams was actually a lawyer until i read your pompous, condescending reply. im discussing something and you feel the need for childish, classless name-calling and down talking. nice.

i skimmed your response and just to address a couple of points quickly:

i tour managed for almost 4 years for a few different bands and labels. thats 4 years straight on the road meeting bands. for your one friend who made money i have over a thousand that didnt. and we both know we arent talking about the Van Halens and Beyonces so save me your extreme examples.

ive already stated in this thread that i go to almost 100 shows a year and buy merch from the bands(and that includes their cds). which is the only way to put money directly into a bands pocket. so yes, im sending money in. the band pays for Recording Studio time OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKET and since im directly giving the band money, everyone else you mentioned is getting paid.

as far as your "analogy", youre a bit off. all im doing is going directly to the farm/farmer for my meat. and when i cant get to the farm, i eat the bacon flavored tofu-substitute.

the record companies are running scared now because they are being exposed for what they really are. an unneccessary middle-man. thanks to advancements that let almost anyone turn a home PC into a recording studio and cd manufacturer, and sites like myspace that give bands better, cheaper exposure, there is no need for these companies and instead of figuring out how to adapt to the new situation the RIAA is throwing a temper tantrum and trying to force people into paying them for a service that isnt needed.

should i throw out a bunch of caddy insults to "raise" this post to your level of intellect so you can understand this? if i throw some in, do you think that will make people around here like me more? let me know, im sure i can come up with something if you need it. otherwise, enjoy reading something that doesnt insult its reader. thanks pal. youre all class.

thanks to advancements that let almost anyone turn a home PC into a recording studio and cd manufacturer, and sites like myspace that give bands better, cheaper exposure, there is no need for these companies and instead of figuring out how to adapt to the new situation the RIAA is throwing a temper tantrum and trying to force people into paying them for a service that isnt needed.

I have read some of these arguments and will say that I am certainly not RI friendly. But on a seperate note, I consider my self to be a modern day audiophile. Meaning I need full imersion in Home Theater and have come to accept the cd and it's limitations compared to Vinyl in pure sound. I do not miss the scratch every revolution on a turntable but really miss the richness of said format.

Regardless, I don't understand the revolution to MP 3 and iPod. The sound is just not worth paying for or for me, not worth listening to.

Regardless, look no further than DirecTV and you will see those that steal a signal, eventually pay the piper.

I have read some of these arguments and will say that I am certainly not RI friendly. But on a seperate note, I consider my self to be a modern day audiophile. Meaning I need full imersion in Home Theater and have come to accept the cd and it's limitations compared to Vinyl in pure sound. I do not miss the scratch every revolution on a turntable but really miss the richness of said format.

Regardless, I don't understand the revolution to MP 3 and iPod. The sound is just not worth paying for or for me, not worth listening to.

Regardless, look no further than DirecTV and you will see those that steal a signal, eventually pay the piper.

CD quality sound is measuable to the equivalent of 128 kbps in the digital world. thats 128 kilobits of data per second.

there are programs out there that can convert music files into 300+ kbps. the sound is AMAZING.

if you are truly an audiophile, then as a friend, i highly recommend you look into getting some high bit rate MP3s immediately and testing it for yourself. you will be blown away.

People still do buy vinyl, which the major record companies ran away from years ago because, surprize!, they realized they could pump out huge quantities on compact disks for zero to no money and pass those savings on to the customer by charging you twice as much. :thumbsup:

Bands (and I mean real bands, not the ones assembled in the Giant Corporate Rock Factories to cash in on a trend) still put out vinyl that they pay to record, and they pay to press, and they pay to print. The beauty of the mp3, is that small, independent record companies, and now even the bands themselves, can put up a cut off a record for people to download, spread around, and generate hype for. Then people buy merch, buy 7" 45s, LPs, CDs, etc. For bands that tour every once in a while, because, you know they actually like to play songs in front of people, it's a great way to get their stuff out there, get their stuff played on college radio, get their stuff into podcasts and blogs.

I still buy vinyl all the time. I'm with you, vinyl sounds way better. But the days of getting a free 7" with the latest issue of Flipside or Maximum Rock and Roll are pretty far behind us. There are still a few of us out there willing to spend a Saturday afternoon flipping through the stacks in a record store and throwing some scratch down for a 45 or LP on a whim because the band name sounds cool, or the cover is interesting, or the label it's out on has a good track record of putting out solid material. But we're a dying breed. Now, I spend my free time (what little I have) surfing the intertubes for great music. It's not as cool as an afternoon at the record store, but I get to drink a beer while doing it.

i really hate the RIAA, because they have gotten to the point where they are shutting down guitar tabs sites. So if I want to learn to play Metallica's Sad, but True, I'd be S.O.L. because my musical ear is not that great yet. Not too, mention I'd be broke for all of the tabs I have printed and downloaded to learn how to play. The sad thing is that I am doing it for the art, and the RIAA is taking the art away from musicians (amateur and professional)

F*** of RIAA :thumbsup:

[John Adams is a meanie.]

[Crappy bands don't make money because of the RIAA.]

[i go to concerts.]

[i steal music because I want to.]

[You can't do anything about it]

[something about tofu-bacon.]

I am sorry about my condescending tone. You deserve more respect than that.

i win!!

hey at least you were successful in proving yourself to be unworthy of ANY respect and incapable of participating in a mature debate. im sure youre a great lawyer.

if you want to try to refute any of my points instead of just re-writing them like a child, this thread will be here for a bit.

glad to see all that money towards a law degree really paid off.

and another one, hot off the presses

the RIAA can not extort money anymore

and if i have an open wireless router, theyll have to try to sue my entire neighborhood...

i am kinda lucky, i live in an apt complex area where a couple people leave their networks open, so i am able to leech off of them. But at least i had the decency to ask and offer $ but they each turned it down when i mentioned it.