Tornado rips through Central FL

Buffalo Mike1

In the middle of the night, about 3 a.m. About 50 miles from where I live. Same thing happened in 98, about 1 a.m. while everyone was sleeping. Lost two really good friends in that one. They are rare, but deadly. Some survivors are talking about being thrown around inside and outside their homes. What a B word. God Bless the families.

I have a friend down there, said the Tornado went 50 yards from his house. He sent me some crazy pictures.

The local news has been showing a church that was built after the hurricaines, and was able to withstand 160mph winds. It was the local hurricaine shelter. It is just rubble, with CNN and local camara trucks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_...vere_weather_38

What a terrible thing. There's a lot of older folks in those areas, with fixed incomes in the face of rising taxes and expenses. One of the news reports said that many can't afford home insurance. I fear a lot, without the physical strength and health, and economic resources, will perish as time goes by. :unsure:

In the middle of the night, about 3 a.m. About 50 miles from where I live. Same thing happened in 98, about 1 a.m. while everyone was sleeping. Lost two really good friends in that one. They are rare, but deadly. Some survivors are talking about being thrown around inside and outside their homes. What a B word. God Bless the families.

Woke up yesterday morning to find it went west-east across Deland about 0.5 miles south of my house. My neighborhood doesn't look like anything at all happened. No trees/limbs down, never lost power - apparently our power source runs in from the north.

1/2 mile south of us there's a path of destruction a couple hundred feet wide - just a mess. A lot of trees/power lines down, rooftops gone on brick/block houses, less substantial structures wiped out.

I work south of here, and I had a heck of a time getting out of town in the morning. All southbound roads blocked. Almost gave up, finally found a back road going south that probably should have been closed - I think I just got there before emergency vehicles. Drove around some trees and over some power lines and made it to work after a couple hours (normally a 1/2 hour drive, took over an hour just to get out of Deland). By the time I came home, I could make it through a little easier - utility companies work slowed things down, but most roads were passable (single lane at a time, though).

Working on checking on friends that have homes/businesses in the path. What a mess.