Global warming - man made?

Peter

I am not a scientist. I have no idea whether global warming is man made or not. It seems to me that every time I watch something on tv about this, there is just a one sided view or two scientists arguing the opposite side of the issue. I have no way evaluating what is true and what is just politics.

It does seem a bit odd that not too long ago, people were arguing that we were entering a new ice age.

In any event, do any of you guys recommend any (objective) resources to learn more about this issue?

I am not a scientist. I have no idea whether global warming is man made or not. It seems to me that every time I watch something on tv about this, there is just a one sided view or two scientists arguing the opposite side of the issue. I have no way evaluating what is true and what is just politics.

It does seem a bit odd that not too long ago, people were arguing that we were entering a new ice age.

In any event, do any of you guys recommend any (objective) resources to learn more about this issue?

I recommend NOT reading Al Gore's book. It's a scientific travesty.

(Not a slam on you - ) I am really tired of hearing the line about how scientists used to say we were entering a new ice age. The genesis of that is the observation - first popularly accepted a few decades ago - that the ice ages followed a cyclical pattern starting a million years ago. Roughly, 120,000 years of ice age seperated by 10,000 year warm periods such as the one we are in. And this summer has gone on for about 12,000 years now - ergo we are due to slip back into an ice age. Unless, of course, the pattern changes naturally (very coincidental over millions of years) or because of man's actions.

But ignoring the observations that the earth is in fact warming at an accelerating rate (not known back then) the reasoning that we should expect another ice age within a thousand years or so (based on past patterns) is still sound. Nevertheless the contradiction between the early history-based prediction and the later measurement-based prediction is constantly cited as an example of why not to believe scientists about global warming.