Kevin Durant- Texas hoops freshman

smokinandjokin

The only game I had seen Texas play this year was their 105-103, 3OT loss to Oklahoma State. In that game, 6'10" freshman Kevin Durant was a man among boys, nearly willing the Horns to victory with 37 points and 12 rebs. Durant is a bit lanky to bang inside, but at 6'10", he's not afraid to mix it up in there. And his game facing the basket is nearly unstoppable at the college level. He handles the ball incredibly well, and can shoot the three. He's like Garnett with a better perimeter game.

So I saw that Texas is playing on ESPN2 last night at Bobby Knight's Texas Tech, and I decided to tune in. I wanted to verify that the incredible performance I saw a few weeks ago wasn't the exception. Durant was a terror last night in Texas' 76-64 victory, scoring 37 points and collecting 23 rebounds. He scored 49% of his team's points, and had 56% of the team's rebounds. He alone outscored Tech 24-22 in the 2nd half in what some are calling the greatest performance in Texas hoops history.

His bio says he's from Maryland, so somehow Texas pulled a major coup and scooped him out of ACC country. They better enjoy him, because he will be a star in the NBA next year. With Oden arriving at Ohio State, and Florida returning all five starters from the national champ team, Durant may have been slightly overlooked. If you like NCAA hoops, and you see Texas playing on TV, I recommend you tune in and check out #35. Chances are, you won't be disappointed.

I don't watch that much college hoop, but when I do, it always seems to be either Texas, Ohio State, UNC, or Duke. I have watched a lot of Texas basketball this year and this Texas team reminds me a lot of the Syracuse National Championship team. Durant is a super frosh (ala Anthony), they have an even better point guard in BJ Augustine and they have a scrappy white boy (every national championship team needs a scrappy white boy). I love watching Durant, however, I think he could get his teammates involved a little bit more. He made some great shots and his shooting percentage was impressive considering he shoots from the outside as well, but it could have been better if he didn't force a couple up there.

I love watching Durant, however, I think he could get his teammates involved a little bit more. He made some great shots and his shooting percentage was impressive considering he shoots from the outside as well, but it could have been better if he didn't force a couple up there.

He didn't shoot that well in the 3OT game that UT lost, I think he was like 14-32 or something. But he was incredible at the end of regulation and in the OT's, hitting all kinds of big shots.

You're right about Augustine as well, I think he was 15pts and 11 asts last night. Nice player. Of course, I could probably play point off of Durant and average 8 or 9 assists...

He didn't shoot that well in the 3OT game that UT lost, I think he was like 14-32 or something. But he was incredible at the end of regulation and in the OT's, hitting all kinds of big shots.

You're right about Augustine as well, I think he was 15pts and 11 asts last night. Nice player. Of course, I could probably play point off of Durant and average 8 or 9 asts...

I'm sure anyone could play PG for Texas and average 8-9 assists a game, but they showed a stat last night that said that Augustine RARELY turns the ball over. I'm not sure what the stat was...it was something like in his career in Big 12 games...I don't know. Anyways, that is the THE most important stat for a PG with assists secondary.

I love Durant. He had a completely crappy first half against Baylor at the game I went to on Saturday, but then scored 26 points in the 2nd half to lead us to win. He completely dominates every game.

This Texas team is extremely dangerous, but extremely young. We're starting one Sophmore and 4 Freshmen. I think thats going to be the bane of the team this year.

I love Durant. He had a completely crappy first half against Baylor at the game I went to on Saturday, but then scored 26 points in the 2nd half to lead us to win. He completely dominates every game.

This Texas team is extremely dangerous, but extremely young. We're starting one Sophmore and 4 Freshmen. I think thats going to be the bane of the team this year.

I saw a promo last night that UT is on ESPN this Monday night at 9pm against #8 A&M. Suddenly, I can't wait to watch. He is that good. Strangely, both teams play Saturday as well, with A&M drawing the much tougher game- @ #6 Kansas.

Youth is no longer a valid excuse in the NCAA. The Heels start three freshmen, one soph, and a senior. Three other sophs and two freshmen get significant minutes. They're as young as anyone and they're just killing people these days.

Youth is no longer a valid excuse in the NCAA. The Heels start three freshmen, one soph, and a senior. Three other sophs and two freshmen get significant minutes. They're as young as anyone and they're just killing people these days.

That's true, it's the nature of the beast in the NCAA game that you will always have a young team. However, PG is the one position where you can tell the difference between a true frosh and a JR/SR, especially come tournament time. Many games have been won and lost because of experience/lack thereof at that position.

The Horns are even worse. They have one senior on the squad who is the last guy on the depth chart. They don't have a lot of older leadership on the team and it shows at times.

Anyone else watching the game right now on ABC?

We got UNC-NC State on the East Coast...I heard UT lost but I saw Durant's stats...32 pts on 13-21 shooting...He's a beast!

Monday night on ESPN (or maybe the Deuce) 9pm- check this kid out if you haven't already...