a

obie_wan

This is clearly a football thread, and I'm disgusted at whichever mod moved it to Off the Wall. :lol: You can't even spell the word "football" without using the letter a.

Of course, football is spelled wrong. Since the average letter of the alphabet is between m and n, clearly all the letters in "football" have error, and the word, like any eight-letter word, should regress toward a mean of "mnmnmnmn".

I read it in a paper about East German linguists, so it must be right...

Of course, football is spelled wrong. Since the average letter of the alphabet is between m and n, clearly all the letters in "football" have error, and the word, like any eight-letter word, should regress toward a mean of "mnmnmnmn".

Tom i dunno how the hell you thought of that one, but that is great. lol

Yes, this thread clearly needed a regression toward the mean joke, because

a) it's not like a regression toward the mean joke has ever been told on these boards, and

b) it's not like there are plenty of articles from Stanford, Duke, Berkeley, the University of Chicago, the EPA, and other authorities which describe the test/retest situation. You know, the situation which all those places describe, and which you still insist on ridiculing.

Over in the Iran thread, you were saying stuff that was intelligent, that made sense, and that added to the discussion. It was the first time in months that your conversation has had any of those attributes. Why, if you're capable of that Iran thread stuff, do you so often insist on making a fool of yourself with jokes about regression toward the mean or East German scientists?

Yes, this thread clearly needed a regression toward the mean joke, because

a) it's not like a regression toward the mean joke has ever been told on these boards, and

b) it's not like there are plenty of articles from Stanford, Duke, Berkeley, the University of Chicago, the EPA, and other authorities which describe the test/retest situation. You know, the situation which all those places describe, and which you still insist on ridiculing.

Over in the Iran thread, you were saying stuff that was intelligent, that made sense, and that added to the discussion. It was the first time in months that your conversation has had any of those attributes. Why, if you're capable of that Iran thread stuff, do you so often insist on making a fool of yourself with jokes about regression toward the mean or East German scientists?

BECAUSE I'M MOCKING YOUR IGNORANT ASS, DIMWIT.

BECAUSE I'M MOCKING YOUR IGNORANT ASS, DIMWIT.

Right. It's my fault you took a multiple month break from saying anything intelligent, logical, factually-oriented, or humorous. While you're at it, why don't you blame me for global warming too?

As for the regression toward the mean jokes . . . the test/retest phenomenon (a.k.a. the regression effect or regression toward the mean) has been described by Stanford, Duke, the University of Chicago, and even the Bills' secondary's very own Ohio State. In that regression toward the mean thread, you yourself finally admitted that in a test/retest situation, where the correlation between test and retest is less than 1, those who obtain extreme scores on the first test will generally score closer to the population's mean upon being retested. But you mock that exact same phenomenon here. Hey, why not throw in a few jokes mocking Copernicus's theories too? If you're willing to mislead people about regression toward the mean, why not go whole hog and mislead them about other statistical phenomena, genetics, the scientific method, political questions, etc.? Oh wait . . . never mind. :lol: You're a few steps ahead of me on that one.