"it is what it is"

taterhill

its almost as overused as the "we dont get any respect" card.

Urlacher said that the bears have been underdogs all season long, and only favored when they are home and even then, onyl favored by 2.5 points. News check brian: the bears were favored in 16 of 18 games they played this season. The ONLY homegame where they were favored by as little as 2.5 was the saints game last week.

and why does EVERYONE in sports use it now....

Found this online:

A cliche, popular within the circles of coaches, business execs, and those of us who just want to say "It's happened. 'I'm going to forget about it. I'm going to move on. There is nothing that can be done about it."

Voted by USA Today as the #1 cliche of 2004

I actually use it quite a bit. To me it means what happened has happened and there's nothing we can do to change the past. I mostly gear it to people who say "why did this happen" or "how did this happen", instead of saying "what can we do to better the situation." In other words, I mostly use it to answer my wife....

Popeye actually began the process with his famous..."I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam" line. It kind of took off from there.

And then along came a coach named Bill Cowher, whose press conferences went something like this:

"..............it is what it is....................and that's a nice problem to have........"

(repeat ad nauseum)