Why is it called

YOOOOOO

I always have this argument with European soccer fans....Telling me Football is soccer(in Europe its known as Futbol)....and American Football should change there name cuz it has nothing to do with there feet....

My response has always been that the game starts with a kick, and thats why its football....thats all i could come with ....

Anyone got anything else???

According to this, in simple terms, there were two different kinds of games or rules, in the first versions of the American game, one closer to soccer and one closer to rugby. The word "soccer" in England came from two different sets of rules for football, and to distinguish soccer from rugby, the Football Association (meaning soccer) became known as just Association and later abbreviated to just "Assoc", where the word "soccer" derives from. So when Harvard was playing a Canadian team and the rules were murky, and the teams started running with the ball, it was more like the Rugby Football Association rules and then it was just shortened to football, or American Football. That seems reasonable.

"The main dispute," writes the Australian historian Bill Murray in "The World's Game: A History of Soccer," "was over handling (the ball) and hacking (or kicking)" each other. When rugby players seceded from the Football Association, one English club "wanted to retain hacking, claiming that its abolition threatened the essential 'manliness' of football, and sneered that such sissy reforms would reduce the game to something more suited to the French."

The dispute traveled overseas to elite American schools. North American boys played two kinds of "football" until a decisive three-game series in 1874 between Harvard and Montreal's McGill University. Harvard played the "Boston game," which was like soccer; McGill played rugby. "The Harvard team was surprised when the McGill players kicked the ball and subsequently ran with it under their arms," according to a page on the McGill University Web site. "The Harvard captain pointed out politely that this violated a basic rule of American football. The McGill captain replied that it did not violate any rules of the Canadian game."

The teams decided to play by one set of rules, and then another. Harvard players thought handling the ball was fun. A year later they convinced Yale to play something closer to rugby, and "American football" became a tradition.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,420024,00.html

Give 'em some of this:

"What the hell are you guys babbling about? It's called football cause it's played with your feet and if you appeasers knew anything about the game, you'd know that. You go out there and play real football w/o your feet you'll end up munchin' sod with yer Umbros around yer ankles. I think you pack of prancers oughta rename your "sport"; you can call it jogball."

According to this, in simple terms, there were two different kinds of games or rules, in the first versions of the American game, one closer to soccer and one closer to rugby. The word "soccer" in England came from two different sets of rules for football, and to distinguish soccer from rugby, the Football Association (meaning soccer) became known as just Association and later abbreviated to just "Assoc", where the word "soccer" derives from. So when Harvard was playing a Canadian team and the rules were murky, and the teams started running with the ball, it was more like the Rugby Football Association rules and then it was just shortened to football, or American Football. That seems reasonable.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,420024,00.html

Something more suited to the French - hilarious. So I guess them being perceived as wimpy goes a lot further back than Bill O'Reilly.

I think we should rename football and soccer. Let go metric too while we are at it.

That's herecy you unamerican 'W' hater!!!!!!

lol

this country would never switch to the metric system, it would make FAR too much sense to do something like that.

That's herecy you unamerican 'W' hater!!!!!!

lol

this country would never switch to the metric system, it would make FAR too much sense to do something like that.

You're right. It has such a ring to it in football terms.

Another first and 9.144 meters.

They're really moving the oblong spheroid today!

Now they've got second and 14.6304 meters after that 5.4864 meter sack.

It's just third and about 304.8 centimeters.

Fourth and seven centimeters to go.

World record 57.6 meter Field Goal.

Joe Theisman and Paul Maguire will have a field day after they take a remedial math class.