Berman and Jaworski talking about the Super Bowl Bills

Roethlisberger did his share of drinking leading up to that Super Bowl, and look how he played. Maybe you can drink a lot and still do okay with something physical, like that marathon. And maybe that carries over to the times when the game was simpler, like Super Bowl I. But if you're pitting your brain against Bill Belichick's brain, you really want to be at your absolute mental best. And I don't know that that's how I'd describe the Bills.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like a little more detail on the partying. Were Kelly and others out til 6 am on game day? If so that would be a problem. Were they so drunk they couldn't walk? That would be a problem. Were they at a club til midnight and had a few beers? Well...not a good idea, but hardly a major problem.

Thank You! I wanted to read through most of the thread to see if anyone mentioned this. An even better example is the Raiders in SB XV in Nawlins. Everyone talks about how Tooz and Co. closed down Bourbon street, and how much more relaxed they were than the uptight Eagles with Vermeil.

Was partying the night away a good idea? Probably not, but to blame the Bills' defeats on that and assume that all SB winners were in bed by nine is silly.

Herad Nate Newton on Czaban the other day, and this subject came up. Nate talked about how they tried as a team to maintain their routine during Super Bowl week as best they could to a regular season and playoff game . In all seriousness, he then said that the OL, Irvin, and a bunch of the starters on D "partied hard" during the season on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday nights, and they did the same for all three SuperBowls. He stressed they took it easy Sat. night, but they hit it hard the other nights. He talked about how Atlanta was off the hook from the party perspective. He even mentioned how it seemed like every club he went in, Bruce and was there giving him the stink eye, trying to play mind games him, and how Bruce was always trying to buy him more beers. He mentioned Bruce was a teetotler every time he saw him. He said they played relaxed and confident because they followed the routine, and a good routine it seems to have been :worthy:

Give me a break- you guys make it sound like the Bills were snorting lines of coke off the bench, and that the gatorade jugs were replaced with beer kegs.

If they were too hungover to play, they wouldn't have been tied with the Giants and Redskins after one quarter. They wouldn't have found a way to score first against the Cowboys in the first matchup, and then compile a halftime lead against them in the second.

Stop making the excuses- we lost because our team's offensive line was far too often hung out to dry by the offensive scheme they used and were simply not physical enough against a good defense (in the last 3 Super Bowls). On the flip side, our defensive line was too small to stop the run.

The Bills lost because they were finesse teams matched up against power teams in an era when the league trended toward physicality, and the team wore down as the games progressed. They just weren't good enough in 26 and 27, and in 25 and 28 it was a combination of getting worn down, poor coaching, and stupid mistakes that did them in.

Maybe Marv Levy partied too hard leading up to 25, because most coaches would advocate running the ball a little more when your back is shredding the defense.

Give me a break- you guys make it sound like the Bills were snorting lines of coke off the bench, and that the gatorade jugs were replaced with beer kegs.

If they were too hungover to play, they wouldn't have been tied with the Giants and Redskins after one quarter. They wouldn't have found a way to score first against the Cowboys in the first matchup, and then compile a halftime lead against them in the second.

Stop making the excuses- we lost because our team's offensive line was far too often hung out to dry by the offensive scheme they used and were simply not physical enough against a good defense (in the last 3 Super Bowls). On the flip side, our defensive line was too small to stop the run.

The Bills lost because they were finesse teams matched up against power teams in an era when the league trended toward physicality, and the team wore down as the games progressed. They just weren't good enough in 26 and 27, and in 25 and 28 it was a combination of getting worn down, poor coaching, and stupid mistakes that did them in.

Maybe Marv Levy partied too hard leading up to 25, because most coaches would advocate running the ball a little more when your back is shredding the defense.

Thankyou for that. I agree with all of it.

Roethlisberger did his share of drinking leading up to that Super Bowl, and look how he played. Maybe you can drink a lot and still do okay with something physical, like that marathon. And maybe that carries over to the times when the game was simpler, like Super Bowl I. But if you're pitting your brain against Bill Belichick's brain, you really want to be at your absolute mental best. And I don't know that that's how I'd describe the Bills.

Thurman absolutely abused that Belichick defense.