Berman and Jaworski talking about the Super Bowl Bills

oh im sure they had it all season, here and there, maybe at the Big Tree Inn after the game. but NOTHING like the amount they had in the 2 weeks of partying in tropical places as one of the Super Bowl teams leading up to the game.

Classic case for why the ignore button was invented... :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boomer going so far as to say "we were at those parties and we barely remember"...
:lol:

oh im sure they had it all season, here and there, maybe at the Big Tree Inn after the game. but NOTHING like the amount they had in the 2 weeks of partying in tropical places as one of the Super Bowl teams leading up to the game.

What's our excuse for Minneapolis? :blink:

I remember a few years ago, when Cornelius Bennett made it back to the Super Bowl, with the Falcons. Bennett got lots of press coverage, because the was the grizzled vet, who had been through it all. Everyone was asking him what advice he gave to his teammates.

Biscuit made some reference to "if having learned anything during those SB years in Buffalo, was that you shouldn't take it for granted, and that the Bills probably "got to caught up in the partying" the weeks leading up to the bowl..."

Guess what? The Falcons got pasted.

You forgot to mention his teammate got caught with a prostitute like 12 seconds after this interview. :)

Whats funny is today I was listening to Howard Stern and Artie was talking about partying with a big name Buffalo Bill, but he he said he couldnt say the name. Anyone who knows Artie, you know he was a crazy partier back in the day.

Not sure what yur talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZ4RkrbJ-M

PFS has a curfew on the players the night before the SB. As I recall, Jimbo would be getting back to his hotel room by sunrise the morning of each SB. :)

I can understand the partying, but not the night BEFORE the SB.

That's the thing that pisses me off - that after losing the first SB, or even after losing the first 2, that they did not pull their heads out of their asses and realize that they should save the partying for SUNDAY night, not the friggin' night before the big game.

what college students arent drinking and taking drugs?!?!?!

I have to agree. Back when I was in college (1992-1996) I was boozing 5 nights a week. How can you not. You go to classes 3 hours a day & 1/2 of your proffessors dont care if you show up or not.

That's the thing that pisses me off - that after losing the first SB, or even after losing the first 2, that they did not pull their heads out of their asses and realize that they should save the partying for SUNDAY night, not the friggin' night before the big game.

Look, the first super bowl they probably did party way too much. Noway they should of lost to the giants. The next 3 super bowls they simply lost to a better team. That Redskins team for that year was unreal; I think they only let Rypien get sacked 9 times the whole year, & the cowboys team are being talked in NFL circles as one of the most talented teams in NFL history.

I think the partying thing is vastly over-rated. Look at Max McGee in Superbowl 1. He and Paul Horning came stumbling in just after dawn and he played not only the game of his life but caught the first td pass ever in a superbowl and was the star (if not the MVP) of the game. I remember running a race in Boston in my younger days after coming in at dawn still woozy and setting my own all time personal record. Kelly always partied hard and I suspect his partying or the partying of others didn't have all that much to do with the quality of their play.

Look, the first super bowl they probably did party way too much. Noway they should of lost to the giants. The next 3 super bowls they simply lost to a better team. That Redskins team for that year was unreal; I think they only let Rypien get sacked 9 times the whole year, & the cowboys team are being talked in NFL circles as one of the most talented teams in NFL history.

they didnt just lose to the better team in 2,3 and 4. they got KILLED. they looked more hungover in the last 3 than they did the first. Thurman "losing" his helmet? Teams running the score up on our defense? Even Kelly's "concussion" against the cowboys... all look like direct products of people who are too hungover to work.

not taking anything away from those Cowboys/Redskins teams, but we beat ourselves WELL BEFORE we ever took the field against those teams.

I think the partying thing is vastly over-rated. Look at Max McGee in Superbowl 1. He and Paul Horning came stumbling in just after dawn and he played not only the game of his life but caught the first td pass ever in a superbowl and was the star (if not the MVP) of the game. I remember running a race in Boston in my younger days after coming in at dawn still woozy and setting my own all time personal record. Kelly always partied hard and I suspect his partying or the partying of others didn't have all that much to do with the quality of their play.

Thank You! I wanted to read through most of the thread to see if anyone mentioned this. An even better example is the Raiders in SB XV in Nawlins. Everyone talks about how Tooz and Co. closed down Bourbon street, and how much more relaxed they were than the uptight Eagles with Vermeil.

Was partying the night away a good idea? Probably not, but to blame the Bills' defeats on that and assume that all SB winners were in bed by nine is silly.

they didnt just lose to the better team in 2,3 and 4. they got KILLED. they looked more hungover in the last 3 than they did the first. Thurman "losing" his helmet? Teams running the score up on our defense? Even Kelly's "concussion" against the cowboys... all look like direct products of people who are too hungover to work.

not taking anything away from those Cowboys/Redskins teams, but we beat ourselves WELL BEFORE we ever took the field against those teams.

Few things (while noting that if anyone should know about the Bills and partying, Boomer's got that subject well covered :wallbash: ):

Two weeks of partying at the SB site? Tough to do when they didn't fly in until Sunday or Monday of game week.

Killed in the fourth one? Leading at halftime. If not for that frickin' fumble-return TD...

Kelly's concussion was against Washington, not Dallas. XXVII, he re-injured the same knee that kept him out of the Comeback game. And speaking of Kelly, from what I've heard, KTFABD has it right -- he drank before pretty much EVERY game.

Gotta agree with Gordio on XXVI and XXVII; the better team won those games. I'd debate XXVIII. (See above.)

And add the '85 Bears and their debauchery in N'Awlins to the list of party-hearty boys who still showed up for the game on Sunday. McMahon's pre-game "performance" is the stuff of legend...

are you guys seriously arguing that the bills a. didnt party more than other teams and b. it didnt affect their play??

because as far as "a" goes, we(i) hear it every super bowl week, the legendary partying of the Buffalo Bills. From Berman and Ron Jaworski!

and as far as "b" goes... cmon... any partying affected their play

did other teams party hard? yes

but my point is that we had 4 shots in a row. and instead of getting serious JUST ONCE, they opted for.... well... 4 shots in a row!

yes the better teams won and the partying isnt the lone cause for our losses, but the point is, they didnt really seem to care either way.

You know something- they put a lot of hard work into getting where they did- they're all grown up and can make their own decisions. If they want to enjoy themselves, its their prerogative. I don't think it had that much of an impact come game day anyways.

Few things (while noting that if anyone should know about the Bills and partying, Boomer's got that subject well covered :wallbash: ):

Two weeks of partying at the SB site? Tough to do when they didn't fly in until Sunday or Monday of game week.

I'm not sure when the Bills got there but IIRC it wasn't until Tuesday or maybe even later. That was the year that not only was there only one week between the Championship and the SB instead of two, but it was the Gulf War and they were even thinking of postponing the game. So they didn't have anything close to two weeks of partying before the SB, it was more like 4-5 days.

Still, one can get in a lot of drinking in 4-5 days. :lol: