Rochester-Area Skiers

Wraith

I am a 24 year old beginner - early intermediate level skier who has skied Bristol Mountain maybe 4 times in the last two years (first time out this year was Saturday). I'm at the point in my ski career where I'm pretty comfortable on the intermediate difficulty (blue squares?) and can handle some black diamonds with fresh legs and patience. My fiance is my teacher and she's an experienced skier who owns her own equipment. I'm at the point now where, due to the frequency with which we've been skiing, I've been thinking about buying the equipment instead of renting.

For my skill level, what would I expect to pay for skis, boots, bindings, poles, etc.? Any suggestions on when and where to buy in the Rochester area? I have yet to find an informative resource on the internet that I really like, so if you could point me in the right direction....

I am a 24 year old beginner - early intermediate level skier who has skied Bristol Mountain maybe 4 times in the last two years (first time out this year was Saturday). I'm at the point in my ski career where I'm pretty comfortable on the intermediate difficulty (blue squares?) and can handle some black diamonds with fresh legs and patience. My fiance is my teacher and she's an experienced skier who owns her own equipment. I'm at the point now where, due to the frequency with which we've been skiing, I've been thinking about buying the equipment instead of renting.

For my skill level, what would I expect to pay for skis, boots, bindings, poles, etc.? Any suggestions on when and where to buy in the Rochester area? I have yet to find an informative resource on the internet that I really like, so if you could point me in the right direction....

The Ski Company on Jefferson Road in Henrietta. Largest selection, great prices, and the staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You should be able to get everything you need (not top of the line, but not crap either) for less than $500.00.

Good luck, and definitely check out the Ski Company.

The Ski Company on Jefferson Road in Henrietta. Largest selection, great prices, and the staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You should be able to get everything you need (not top of the line, but not crap either) for less than $500.00.

Good luck, and definitely check out the Ski Company.

Very cool, thanks.

There are two main places for skis : Snow Country in Pittsford Plaza, and the Ski Company in Jefferson Road.

The Demo Center at the top of Bristol Mountain (just beyond the top of the Comet Express Quad chair) also sells it's demo skis, bindings and boots at the end of the season. the prices are really good, but the catch is that you have to be there on the right day in March when they sell the equipment. If you are interested, they will tell you everything you need to know there.

As far as Snow Country vs. Ski Company, I believe that Ski Company also sells used equipment, and Snow Country does not. If anyone has better knowledge on that (or if I'm completely wrong and I'm a dick), please let me know. That may or may not be of interest to you.

I will tell you a few things:

1) You want a softer, more flexible pair of boots rather than a harder, more racing type of boot. Shaped skis work better with softer, more flexible boots when you are getting to a point where you want to make good carved turns. You can lean forward and actually carve turns with softer boots.

2) You can get skis at 160cm now that give you as much stability and speed as 180's and longer used to. Don't have any hang-ups about getting short skis. The materials used in skis are much more advanced now, and shorter skis are even being raced on now.

3) But you don't want to race, yet. Just know that short skis are widely accepted and used by almost everyone now.

4) Lange Boots are very good, but not if you have wide feet.

5) There are Atomics have a much wider front, or "toe box". Very comfortable.

6) Salomon has a boot that has hexacomb shapes cut into the side of the boot. This makes the boot even more flexible.

There are three for you, all are pricey, tho.

There are two main places for skis : Snow Country in Pittsford Plaza, and the Ski Company in Jefferson Road.

The Demo Center at the top of Bristol Mountain (just beyond the top of the Comet Express Quad chair) also sells it's demo skis, bindings and boots at the end of the season. the prices are really good, but the catch is that you have to be there on the right day in March when they sell the equipment. If you are interested, they will tell you everything you need to know there.

As far as Snow Country vs. Ski Company, I believe that Ski Company also sells used equipment, and Snow Country does not. If anyone has better knowledge on that (or if I'm completely wrong and I'm a dick), please let me know. That may or may not be of interest to you.

I will tell you a few things:

1) You want a softer, more flexible pair of boots rather than a harder, more racing type of boot. Shaped skis work better with softer, more flexible boots when you are getting to a point where you want to make good carved turns. You can lean forward and actually carve turns with softer boots.

2) You can get skis at 160cm now that give you as much stability and speed as 180's and longer used to. Don't have any hang-ups about getting short skis. The materials used in skis are much more advanced now, and shorter skis are even being raced on now.

3) But you don't want to race, yet. Just know that short skis are widely accepted and used by almost everyone now.

4) Lange Boots are very good, but not if you have wide feet.

5) There are Atomics have a much wider front, or "toe box". Very comfortable.

6) Salomon has a boot that has hexacomb shapes cut into the side of the boot. This makes the boot even more flexible.

There are three for you, all are pricey, tho.

I do not believe that Snow Country sells used equipment. I also know that the only major brands that Snow Country sells are Rossignols and K2. Everything else Atomic, Volkl, Salomon, Fischer, Dynastar, Head, etc. you can only het at Ski Co.