How Black Children view White Children

millbank

Umm...exactly who else is to blame?

Maybe nobody?

I think I made my post above clear? Maybe I didn't?

What is the % of the African-American minority in this country? How are colors perceived in the eyes of children? That is dark verses light?

Of course I am not exonerating past social ills... Yet, for what it is worth, I tend to lean more on natural circumstance here and how the child sees the "majority" and where they may want to be...

The fact is, in 50 years things HAVEN'T changed... Either we have failed miserably or something else is in the works here (which I tend to believe)...

Again, the gasps are hard to overcome for some...

Umm...exactly who else is to blame?

How about the parents?

You really mean to tell me that bad social issues and race relations from 40 years ago have an affect on how a five year old child sees herself and relates and understands her race?

How about the parents?

You really mean to tell me that bad social issues and race relations from 40 years ago have an affect on how a five year old child sees herself and relates and understands her race?

I think (or at least hope) that some of this is based on marketing. Little kids take commercials seriously; I have seen this with my own daughters. Companies probably market dolls for the masses of purchasers.

Also, in our culture "white" quite often symbolizes purity, and "black" often indicates a negative. As for your question about 40 years ago, I am not qualified to answer that.

As for "guilt," I don't have much of that, and I don't think that the people I am friends with would want me to.

As we all know, race is a very complex issue, and although I have seen what I feel to be progress made, there really is room for more.

One thing that irks me is when people blame only the south for racism. From what I have seen, the north is just as segregated. Up here, people pose as "liberals" and go home to their rich, segregated communities.

Carl McCall is a Dartmouth Grad and held virtually every NYS office one could imagine. He spent a career "getting out the black vote" for the nearest liberal democrat. When he ran for Governor, he was defeated in the biggest landslide in NYS history. His party under funded his campaign, and the "liberal" dems voted for Pataki by the hundreds of thousands.

Lots of hypocrisy floating around these parts, you know?

I was in a Cracker Barrel on the way home from a road trip, browsing through their souvenier/ junk section. Came across a "Black Santa Claus." The most REEEEdiculous thing youve ever seen. Even BLACK couples looked at it and said "thats effing stupid!!"

I think (or at least hope) that some of this is based on marketing. Little kids take commercials seriously; I have seen this with my own daughters. Companies probably market dolls for the masses of purchasers.

Also, in our culture "white" quite often symbolizes purity, and "black" often indicates a negative. As for your question about 40 years ago, I am not qualified to answer that.

As for "guilt," I don't have much of that, and I don't think that the people I am friends with would want me to.

As we all know, race is a very complex issue, and although I have seen what I feel to be progress made, there really is room for more.

One thing that irks me is when people blame only the south for racism. From what I have seen, the north is just as segregated. Up here, people pose as "liberals" and go home to their rich, segregated communities.

Carl McCall is a Dartmouth Grad and held virtually every NYS office one could imagine. He spent a career "getting out the black vote" for the nearest liberal democrat. When he ran for Governor, he was defeated in the biggest landslide in NYS history. His party under funded his campaign, and the "liberal" dems voted for Pataki by the hundreds of thousands.

Lots of hypocrisy floating around these parts, you know?

Exactly Bill... That was my line of thinking also (especially the blue part).

My daughter is four and she has two similar dolls... One is "brown" the other, she doesn't call it anything... I asked her when I got home yesterday which one was "good"... It made me proud that she said both!

Now I am not trying to ham it up... But, RK has a point about the parents. Sounds sappy, but I still remember my mother advising me about not using "bad" as a term to describe misbehaved kids... Nasty, naughty, etc... Is better...

These are babies right, the dolls that is... Aren't ALL babies GOOD?... Heck, ALL children should be taught they are "good?"

Something is happening here at the parenting level or NATURALLY in relation to the majority they see all around them everyday...

Something is happening here at the parenting level or NATURALLY in relation to the majority they see all around them everyday...

Excellent point, EII. There's less and less guidance out there for kids, due to "babies having babies", which leads to a bunch of irresponsible parents who are overwhelmed and underprepared.