LAMP- Met Danny Gare last night

Last night after the disappointing Sabres loss here in Columbus we went back across the street to R-bar where we had been before the game. Some time later a guy approached me and said something like "now that's a good looking sweater you have on there" (I was wearing an old style white Pat Lafontaine jersey). When I looked to thank him, I realized it was Danny Gare. I was semi-surprised but I said something like thank you very much Mr. Gare blah blah blah. He says call me Danny, etc. and we proceed to shoot the schitt for a couple min. Now I was pretty trashed at this point so I don't remember exactly what the conversation was like but I remember saying that all of us in Buffalo appreciate all he did for the team and miss him on tv.

He was very appreciative and cool about it. A little bit later he came back by me again and talked to me a bit. He introduced me to his daughter and offered to sign my jersey. By this point I'm gone so I say what the hell (I realize today that it doesn't make much sense to have a Danny Gare autograph on a Pat Lafontaine jersey but what the hell). I got a picture with him and he went on his way. I know it's not that big of a deal but it was pretty cool and he was a super nice guy. If I wasn't so drunk already, I would have seen if he wanted to go take a shot or something. I think he was pretty trashed too though.

he offered to sign your LaFontaine jersey? :blink:

that's cheesy with a capital "ch"...

That is a little weird, but if he had a few I can see it happening. Plus next time he sees Patty, he's got a story.

It reminded me of the Comic Book guy in "The Simpsons" who had for sale a picture of Sean Connery signed by Roger Moore. :)

By this point I'm gone so I say what the hell (I realize today that it doesn't make much sense to have a Danny Gare autograph on a Pat Lafontaine jersey but what the hell). I got a picture with him and he went on his way. I know it's not that big of a deal but it was pretty cool and he was a super nice guy. If I wasn't so drunk already, I would have seen if he wanted to go take a shot or something. I think he was pretty trashed too though.

Funny...back in 1988, when I was living in NYC, as a Christmas gift, my girlfriend gave me Larry Birds biography "DRIVE". Tucked inside, were two courtside seats to see the Celtics play the New Jersey Nets. I am a huge Celtics fan (even more so during those days), so I was thrilled. We got there early enough to watch the Celtics shoot-around. There I was just 40 feet away from Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, etc etc...I really wanted to get Bird to sign my book. I stood by the courtside yelling "Larry, Larry...." for about a half an hour, waiving my book in the air. Bird would not look my way, although I am sure he had to have heard me. The later it got, the more autograph seekers were waiving things in the air...the Celtics were not obliging anybody.

The team went to their locker room just prior to tip off. By this time, determined to get Birds auto on my book, I moved over to the railing by the tunnel where the Celtics go on and off the court. I look down, and there is the whole Celtics squad, just a few feet away, surrounded by security. "LARRY....LARRY...LARRY" I start yelling frantically. Just as they introduce the Celtics, and they are taking off for the court, a laughing Kevin McHale grabbed my book, and scrawled "Lar Bird" across the cover...and then handed it back to me...it was pretty cool, and kind of funny. I have Larry Birds autograph, as forged by fellow HOF teammate, Kevin McHale...how many people can say that?