Hey frequent flyers, got a securtiy question

Just Jack

You can count the number of times I've flown ever on two hands, and most of those are prior to 2001. So my question is what I need to do when carrying a large amount of electronics through security. I know the laptop has to be put in a seperate bin at XRay, but what about my cameras, camcorder, film, blank miniDV tapes, all the AC adapters, cords, etc? Just leave them in the carryon?

I believe cameras and camcorders need to be taken out, but wires, adapters and other accessories can stay in the bag. Video and film may be damaged by the xrays however, so you may want to put those in your checked bags (if you're checking any).

Cant speak for the film issue, but I have kept cameras, cords, power adapters, etc. in my carryon bag. The only thing you need to do is remove your laptop seperatly. Also, most airports requiring shoe removal now, and also remember to remove your jacket.

Biggest recent change, no liquids through security. You are allowed one clear 1 quart bag, with individual containers containing no more than 3 oz of liquid. I encourage you to check out the TSA webpage at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/scr...ex.shtm#content prior to flying. It always amazes me that some people are so clueless in security lines. Makes me angry. No, you cant bring your collectible scissor collection. No, you cant bring a lighter. Yes, you have to take your laptop out of your bag. Yes, you need your boarding pass after you go through the metal detector, so dont put it through the xray machine. It makes things so much smoother when everyone knows (and follows) the rules.

What a pain in the ass, although I understand. I like to fly to Europe overnight and arrive first thing in the morning. I usually pack saline soloution and toothpaste. I remove my contacts before I fly, then the first thing I do when I arrive(even before I grab my luggage), is brush my teeth and put my contacts back in. Oh well, guess I need a new routine

I believe cameras and camcorders need to be taken out, but wires, adapters and other accessories can stay in the bag. Video and film may be damaged by the xrays however, so you may want to put those in your checked bags (if you're checking any).

Some airports request to take the camcorder out, but most don't. I've never had to take a camera out. You always have to take the laptop out.

What a pain in the ass, although I understand.

The "security theater" at airport security is a joke. It's really not protecting anyone from much of anything (for example, it's trivial to put some liquids in your pants, taped to your leg, under your shirt, etc, and nobody will figure it out, so why bother banning?). :rolleyes:

CW

I've flown with a cell phone, Palm, digital camera, and GPS and cables/chargers for all of them. Left it all in the carry on with no problem. Another tip-take a baggie or two with you to put the contents of your pockets in when passing through the detector. Throw it in the bin with your jacket. Saves time fishing out all that change, etc.

Flying back from Buffalo, they caught an X-acto knife for work that I thought I left in California. I didn't tell them that it had made it through the San Francisco TSA in the first place.It would have cost $9.00 to mail it to myself, so I said to throw it out (a new one is $5). They took a copy of my ID (license) and my boarding pass, so maybe I'm on the list for more scrutiny next time.

I've flown with a cell phone, Palm, digital camera, and GPS and cables/chargers for all of them. Left it all in the carry on with no problem. Another tip-take a baggie or two with you to put the contents of your pockets in when passing through the detector. Throw it in the bin with your jacket. Saves time fishing out all that change, etc.

Flying back from Buffalo, they caught an X-acto knife for work that I thought I left in California. I didn't tell them that it had made it through the San Francisco TSA in the first place.It would have cost $9.00 to mail it to myself, so I said to throw it out (a new one is $5). They took a copy of my ID (license) and my boarding pass, so maybe I'm on the list for more scrutiny next time.

Yeah, i had a steak knife in my bag once (dont ask..i dont know), caught by security. didnt take my name or anythuing. waslked me out of the secure area, gave me the knife. I checked my bag and all was well...

The "security theater" at airport security is a joke. It's really not protecting anyone from much of anything (for example, it's trivial to put some liquids in your pants, taped to your leg, under your shirt, etc, and nobody will figure it out, so why bother banning?). :rolleyes:

CW

I agree with you. Most of it seems quite reactionary to me. "What, they hid a bomb in a shoe? We must check all shoes!" "What, they hid a bomb in a laptop? We must check all laptops!"

That, coupled with the fact that flying sucks in general, is the reason I'll elect to drive anywhere when it's an option. In the 10 years I've been down here in Georgia, I've only flown to Buffalo once. All of my other visits (1-2 a year) have been in the car.

-Jeff

That, coupled with the fact that flying sucks in general, is the reason I'll elect to drive anywhere when it's an option.

Yup. That's one big reason my wife and I are going to drive from Minneapolis to Buffalo sometime in May. It'll be cool to spend some time in Chicago and Cleveland/Canton as well.

Besides, I have to justify my GPS purchase somehow :rolleyes:

CW

Cant speak for the film issue, but I have kept cameras, cords, power adapters, etc. in my carryon bag. The only thing you need to do is remove your laptop seperatly. Also, most airports requiring shoe removal now, and also remember to remove your jacket.

Biggest recent change, no liquids through security. You are allowed one clear 1 quart bag, with individual containers containing no more than 3 oz of liquid. I encourage you to check out the TSA webpage at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/scr...ex.shtm#content prior to flying. It always amazes me that some people are so clueless in security lines. Makes me angry. No, you cant bring your collectible scissor collection. No, you cant bring a lighter. Yes, you have to take your laptop out of your bag. Yes, you need your boarding pass after you go through the metal detector, so dont put it through the xray machine. It makes things so much smoother when everyone knows (and follows) the rules.

Here in Syracuse, shoes needed to be taken off but sneakers it depends on the TSA person. Some let you keep them on, others let you through. And I'm familar with the 3-1-1 rule. I was at JFK a couple months ago and there was a guy there arguing that the 6oz shampoo container has always been allowed through since he "flys all the time".

Change stays in my wallet, can't stand having loose change in my pockets.

That, coupled with the fact that flying sucks in general, is the reason I'll elect to drive anywhere when it's an option. In the 10 years I've been down here in Georgia, I've only flown to Buffalo once. All of my other visits (1-2 a year) have been in the car.

-Jeff

There's no superhighway to Australia yet, so I'm forced to fly.

Here in Syracuse, shoes needed to be taken off but sneakers it depends on the TSA person. Some let you keep them on, others let you through. And I'm familar with the 3-1-1 rule. I was at JFK a couple months ago and there was a guy there arguing that the 6oz shampoo container has always been allowed through since he "flys all the time".

Change stays in my wallet, can't stand having loose change in my pockets.

There's no superhighway to Australia yet, so I'm forced to fly.

Cruise ship - that's how we got to Hawaii this past summer. :rolleyes: (of course we flew to San Diego...)

We're doing a cruise around Australia and New Zealand, just got to get there. Princess does offer an LA to Sydney cruise, I think it was somewhere around 30 days, one way.

Found two, both Sydney to LA

Wow, that's actually pretty cheap, consider it's a 31 day vacation! If I were going to do it though, I'd want the ports to be a little longer. For example, when we were at Honolulu, we were there from roughly 8am to 11pm.

Let me know how the cruise around Austriailia/NZ is when you get back.

CW

If you are referring to a 0.15 oz. tube of lip balm that is within the 3 oz. limit for liquids. I just flew with a tube in my pocket today.

Just make sure its in a 1qt plastic bag! Tough, if you keep it in your pocket, and can get it through the metal detector, you should be fine!