Next year, when the Bills make the Super Bowl...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070126/ap_on_...er_bowl_tickets

There are about 70,000 seats at the Feb. 4 game, but ticket distribution is tightly controlled by the NFL: 25.2 percent to the league itself, largely for sponsors, licensees and the like; 17.5 percent each to the two competing teams, the Chicago Bears and

Indianapolis Colts, with some raffled off to season ticket holders; 5 percent to the host

Miami Dolphins; and 1.2 percent to each of the remaining 29 NFL teams.

Many of those lucky enough to get tickets when they're first sold won't part with them. Princeton University economist Alan Krueger studied the ticket market during the 2001 Super Bowl in Tampa and found only about 20 percent of seats were resold.

"People were very reluctant to sell their ticket," he said. "If they won their ticket in the lottery they acted as if they were chosen by God to go to the game."

That leaves desperate fans with a choice: Pay up or park yourself on your couch.

If they choose the former, and turn to a broker, they will be buying tickets that have been marked up at least twice _ by the original holder or holders and then again by the resale company, which typically tries to secure a price 20 percent to 30 percent higher than it paid. The result is upper-level seats from around $3,000 to luxury sideline suites for over a half-million dollars, though the average regular Super Bowl ticket sold online is about $5,115, according to an analysis by SeatSmart.com, an online ticket search site.

The face value of all Super Bowl tickets is $600 or $700.

I was talking about this very subject earlier today with a coworker who is a Bears fan. It would be really awesome for me if they didn't make it to the 2008 Super Bowl so that way I don't have to go anywhere. If that scenario were to play out I'd pony up the money for tickets and money for booze after our inevitable win (I hope), so I guess I'd be looking at a couple thousand. Well worth it, though, if it meant we were Champions!

I actually do this with some buddies, and it pays off well in the end.

Begining of the year, through my buddy (in indiana), we pick up 4 tickets at 2400, therefore if one of our teams makes it (Bills, Steelers, Colts) we give it to the person (this has sucked for me in the past) or we sell them for much more online. The past two years haven't worked, but when it comes down to the end, we roll in the cashzoola.

I have a handshake agreement with three of my closest friends that when the Bills make the SB, we will all go to the game, regardless of where we are all living and what it costs. I am more than willing to hold up my end of the agreement, but I can't say I'd be thrilled to pay $4000+ for a ticket to anything. I went to Europe for 11 days last spring and went to four different countries, and I spent less than $2000 total. It's hard to justify a three-hour football game when you think of it that way.