NFLNetwork's SBXXV replay confirms Reed no HOFer

mikecole1

How long has it been since I said "I love you, man?"

Aw shucks.

You making the trip in August, assuming Thurman gets in? (Obviously, I'd love to see 'Dre make it at the same time -- but based on the prior voting record vis-a-vis WRs, I'm guessing he'll be waiting for a few more years...)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuna had Belichick devise a defense to make Buffalo beat them on the ground.

They wanted to take away the pass and nearly did by playing nickle defense throughout the game and often using dime.

If Lofton had broken that first play all the way it would have been a different game (obviously). That was the one time that game that the Jints got beat deep.

But the Jints stayed with their scheme to play nickle - which is also one reason why Thurman had such a monster game.

After seeing The Bills' awesome dismantleing of Oakland the previous week Parcells was more concerned by Kelly's passing than he was of TT's running.

They decided to take Andre out of that game by keying on him and hitting him very hard and very often on his routes over the middle.

It worked because uncharacteristically Andre was hearing footsteps by the end of the first quarter.

Andre made his living ripping up secondaries by going late over the middle and he took a ton of shots in his career.

However, Tuna and Belichick's scheme was designed specifically to take away Reed because they felt he was The Bills' key to success.

And they were right. On that day, they were right.

Remember also that The Bills had gone to NY a few weeks earlier and beat the Jints in their house - which didn't happen a lot in those days. Phil Simms broke his foot in that game and Jeff Hostettler stepped in the rest of the season at QB. Marv and just about everybody else thought they were going to play the 49ers in SB25. I think the entire Bills org underestimated The Jints that day. They swept the NFC East (yes, NY, PHI, DALLAS, WASH) and did an All-Time-Wipeout of Oakland in the AFC Championship Game. Those were heady times for The Bills. I've often thought if that wasn't the first year they took out the off week before the SB that they would have had a chance to settle down to business a bit more.

A few years after that game Tuna owned a thoroughbred with Mike Francesa that he named "Nickle Defense" in tribute to that SB win.

Francesa talked about it (the horse AND the game) enough and still does occasionally on his talk show on 660 WFAN. He is a close personal friend of Parcells.

good post. not to nitpick, but in the 1990 season, we did NOT play dallas, nor did we sweep the NFC East. We beat the gants in NJ, beat the iggles and the cards in buffalo, and LOST to the redskins in the final week. we had everything clinched, and IIRC, Gale Gilbert was leading the way against the skins that game. :wacko:

Thurman got 10 yards everytime he touched the ball. We got the ball back with 2:16 left and had timeouts. It was the worst clock management I have ever seen. Jim Kelly blew it. Watch that drive again, its painful. So much time was wasted. How is it with 2:16 left, multiple timeouts and getting 10 yards a pop- that the best you can do is a 47 yard FG attempt? That loss is on Jim Kelly and his horrible clock management and egotistical playcalling!

Just an FYI, Kelly takes all the blame for the loss in XXV. He called all the plays, foolishly tried to air it out aginst the nickel and dime. He readily admits this in one the all time great Bills books, Vic Carucci's The 1990 Buffalo Bills and the Almost Dream Season

Carucci's Book

If you haven't read it, I suggest you do. Its a very good read.

Shut up with the "stopping by" nonsense. First off dude, my whole point is that Andre Reed was a marginal candidate to begin with and these games did nothing to put him over the top and support his cause.

Secondly, if you knew anything at all about sports you'd wake up and realize like most knowledgeable sports fans that greatness is often defined by one or two games. Lives, careers (and yes inclusion into the Hall of Fame) get changed by one or two games. And yes careers DO get condensed to a performance in a big game (especially the biggest). Buffalo fans know all this by now.

Andre Reed had four Super Bowls to make his case.

If you insist that judging him by one game is fair, why not judge him based on the critical role he played in the comeback game against Houston? Is having 8 catches for 136 yards and 3 touchdowns for the winning team in the best game in NFL history not enough?

If you insist that judging him by one game is fair, why not judge him based on the critical role he played in the comeback game against Houston? Is having 8 catches for 136 yards and 3 touchdowns for the winning team in the best game in NFL history not enough?

I wouldn't call it the best game. It was horrible to watch for fans of each team for at least a half each.