Cap money available, per teams.

erynthered

This is a pretty pathetic number for the Skins, it is going to take monstrous maneuvering for them to land Clements IMO.

A Clements deal is going to cost at least 6-8 million per year I'm guessing.

Not really. They're expected to redo the deals of some of the higher-priced guys and free up about $3M in cap space, which is all they need to sign him (cap number doesn't equal average salary and is always well below the average salary in the first year).

Not really. They're expected to redo the deals of some of the higher-priced guys and free up about $3M in cap space, which is all they need to sign him (cap number doesn't equal average salary and is always well below the average salary in the first year).

When does somebody on that team finally say 'screw you, I'm not re-doing the deal'? I'm mystified as to how they are able to massage the cap every year. I can't believe for the life of me that they can get him with only $3M in cap space though.

When does somebody on that team finally say 'screw you, I'm not re-doing the deal'? I'm mystified as to how they are able to massage the cap every year. I can't believe for the life of me that they can get him with only $3M in cap space though.

Re-doing deals benefits the player. They get more guaranteed money up front.

The Bills could've redone deals to avoid salary cap hell, but we don't have Dan Snyder as owner who can give out up front bonuses.

A contract re-do usually involves giving the player more upfront/guaranteed money. That's usually a good thing so most say yes.

As for getting him for just $3M, let's assume he gets a 7-year deal with a $20M bonus. That would make the amortized signing bonus $2.86M a year and in the first year players usually get the veteran minimum, so you figure he'd need about $3.5M in cap room for the first year. That's a little over the $3M I mentioned, but if they really wanted him, opening-up another $500K probably wouldn't be a huge problem. But Bailey signed a deal that paid him in 3-$6M installments that were guaranteed, but didn't hit the cap all at once.

There are ways around it is basically what I'm saying.

Skins are not going to get Clements- they need about 3-5mil just for draft picks - as for doing fancy caponomics it eventually catches up with you and I think the skins are caught.

They could do it if they really want him. I'm just not sure they will, as there are going to be plenty of teams interested. Here is a good article about their cap position from last year, which illuminates how they could do it.

http://redskins.scout.com/2/482405.html

The Bills have plenty of cap room to sign some F/A. But will they.

Cap money available:

31. Washington $951,000

These numbers are fluid and can change based on bonuses, roster moves, contract extensions, etc.

Washington will make six of seven moves, convert a half-dozen guys salaries to signing bosnuses and suddenly have $22 million in cap space. They do that every year - don't they?

This is a pretty pathetic number for the Skins, it is going to take monstrous maneuvering for them to land Clements IMO.

A Clements deal is going to cost at least 6-8 million per year I'm guessing.

THey can get their cap in order by off loading Brunell and a few other veterans...QUite a bit of their salaries are back-ended...The skins pays quite a bit of signing bonus(upfront money) and then a few years of minimum wages and then few years of high salaries...