i have a "post grad" question..

The Poojer

i have a bachelors degree in econ and am at a point where i would love to go back/continue my education and maybe look at a law degree or something, not that i want to be a lawyer, but who knows..how does one go about obtaining a law degree at this point in life(i am 43), is it a post grad degree...can you do it part time or do you need to be accepted and enrolled full time in a program? I am in richmond so i have options of schools , just not sure how to take the first step..any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

i have a bachelors degree in econ and am at a point where i would love to go back/continue my education and maybe look at a law degree or something, not that i want to be a lawyer, but who knows..how does one go about obtaining a law degree at this point in life(i am 43), is it a post grad degree...can you do it part time or do you need to be accepted and enrolled full time in a program? I am in richmond so i have options of schools , just not sure how to take the first step..any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

I'll help as best I can...I'm pretty sure the only things law schools require for admission are an LSAT score (usually good for about 5 years I think) and a Bachelor's degree. So register for the LSAT (given 4 times per year) and request your college transcript. They will probably also require letters of recommendation, but it can come from employers, not just professors.

I go to a small law school in Delaware and I strongly considered doing the evening part-time program because I was working full-time at a law firm. But I decided against it because I figured I could handle part-time work with full-time school.

Most evening or part-time law school programs take 4 years to complete (as opposed to 3 for full-time). However, my boss (a lawyer obviously) went to night school at the same school I am at and he said if you take classes in the summer as he did, then 3.5 years is no problem.

Good luck!

I would look into George Mason if you are a VA resident. They charge $12K. Part-time programs have a pretty heavy workload, so I would wonder how realistic that might be if you want to have any life outside of law school and work.

Unless you have a lot of extra money and extra time, though, I would not recommend going to law school if you do not want to practice law. "You can do anything with a law degree" is a myth.

Your age won't be a huge problem. There a fair number of students your age that go to law school each year. I know at least two at my law school.

Law school is a huge commitment of time and effort. You'd be crazy to go on a whim. Part time programs are very good for an option and many law schools prefer people who have had a break between undergraduate. I teach at a law school in Virginia, and many of my students are your age or older. No big thing. Be happy to discuss more if you get serious about going.