One more thing that needs to be said

Like A Mofo

For ONCE in their lives, can they close the door when theBills have the lead?

And they are TERRIBLE on 3rd down, and that has been the case since 2001, how long has Gray been here?? Hmmmm

This team needs a LOT of work.

64345[/snapback]

Agree, though having Milloy & Vincent out sure doesn't help.

And they are TERRIBLE on 3rd down, and that has been the case since 2001, how long has Gray been here?? Hmmmm

64345[/snapback]

Before we get too down on the D, can somebody tell me the ToP through the first 3 quarters? Our 'O' didn't do the 'D' any favors through the first 45 minutes of the game.

64345[/snapback]

True...and its going to take more than one season to fix..if we're lucky. Free agency of course can speed up the process and maybe a trade but Donahoe's record in both areas is medicore at best. Donahoe was right when he said he needed to do a better job also. So far he hasn't.

64345[/snapback]

Yes, absolutely. I would have bet the family farm that the Jets would come down and score against this extremely overrated defense. One BIG reason that they are ranked fairly high is that the other teams are NEVER way behind and throwing a lot.

Before we get too down on the D, can somebody tell me the ToP through the first 3 quarters?  Our 'O' didn't do the 'D' any favors through the first 45 minutes of the game.

64369[/snapback]

Ditto. Dont you think the defense is a little sick of being out on the field more than the offense almost every game? I wouldnt blame them one bit if they said screw it and let the offense play BOTH sides of the ball. <_<

Before we get too down on the D, can somebody tell me the ToP through the first 3 quarters?  Our 'O' didn't do the 'D' any favors through the first 45 minutes of the game.

64369[/snapback]

That's not a good enough excuse. The defense hasn't been able to stop anyone on third and long all year. Whether this is a scheme problem or a personel problem, I'm not sure.

But the fact is that if the defense really wants to be the great defense they claim they can be, people need to step up and make plays when it counts.

I wouldn't call this a "great" defense and anyone who calls it great is overrating it. It is a very good defnse however, and is largely the reason we are in these games at all.We generally don't get run on and don't give up a lot of points. The thing that prevents this D from greatness is the DE talent. We have no pass rush without blitzing. This is OK for most of the game, but is magnified when it comes time to "close the door" so to speak. DC's like Jerry Gray tend to back off the blitz at the end in a tight game and don't want to give up the deep ball. The classic "prevent" that is well hated but widely used. Unable to get any rush with our front four, we get nickel and dimed to death underneath, as Pennington did today in classic fashion. This is an agonizing way to end a game but our only chance is holding them to the FG. If we had DE's that could rush, we'd be able to close the door because we'd have enough DB's in coverage and still get heat on the QB. Our D will never be "great" until we have this aspect. It will be good enough to keep us hanging around in games and ultimately losing with our lack of offense. B)

I wouldn't call this a "great" defense and anyone who calls it great is overrating it. It is a very good defnse however, and is largely the reason we are in these games at all.We generally don't get run on and don't give up a lot of points. The thing that prevents this D from greatness is the DE talent. We have no pass rush without blitzing. This is OK for most of the game, but is magnified when it comes time to "close the door" so to speak. DC's like Jerry Gray tend to back off the blitz at the end in a tight game and don't want to give up the deep ball. The classic "prevent" that is well hated but widely used. Unable to get any rush with our front four, we get nickel and dimed to death underneath, as Pennington did today in classic fashion. This is an agonizing way to end a game but our only chance is holding them to the FG. If we had DE's that could rush, we'd be able to close the door because we'd have enough DB's in coverage and still get heat on the QB. Our D will never be "great" until we have this aspect. It will be good enough to keep us hanging around in games and ultimately losing with our lack of offense. B)

64612[/snapback]

One thing that was said in Bills Digest this last week by Sam Adams was surprising to me. He said that they scheme NOT to get pressure with their front four. In particular, he, P-Diddy and Schobel are not supposed to apply pressure. Rather, they are just there to clog up the blockers so that the BLITZING LBs and DBs can generate the pressure!

He went on to say that if the coaches asked him to get pressure up the middle, he and P-Diddy could have 12 sacks a piece. But since they don't, he just does his job.

So it seems that Jerry Gray's scheme actually makes our lack of a pass rushing DE look worse than perhaps it really is. I'm not making excuses, just pointing out that a lot of people here don't understand the scheme (myself included)...

Our 'O' didn't do the 'D' any favors through the first 45 minutes of the game.

True, but the 'D' was getting toasted on 3rd and no matter how long from the get go. They're not worn out early in the game..they have to make some stops. When's the last time 85 year old Wayne Smurfet was a factor in the Jest offense aganist anybody, not to mention a supposedly good 'D' like the Bills'??? The guy was constantly open. Moss I can accept, probably McCareins, too...but Chrebet????? No freakin' way! <_<:doh:

Bottomline, the offense finally did enough to win and the defense didn't hold up it's end of the bargain. Not to be overlooked in the loss is the fact that the Bills' special teams were of no help in a tight game. Moorman was subpar and McGee did not break any much needed long gainers.

One thing that was said in Bills Digest this last week by Sam Adams was surprising to me. He said that they scheme NOT to get pressure with their front four. In particular, he, P-Diddy and Schobel are not supposed to apply pressure. Rather, they are just there to clog up the blockers so that the BLITZING LBs and DBs can generate the pressure!

He went on to say that if the coaches asked him to get pressure up the middle, he and P-Diddy could have 12 sacks a piece. But since they don't, he just does his job.

So it seems that Jerry Gray's scheme actually makes our lack of a pass rushing DE look worse than perhaps it really is. I'm not making excuses, just pointing out that a lot of people here don't understand the scheme (myself included)...

64614[/snapback]

Are you serious? That is so rediculous!! Blow up the middle and force the OB to run into or DE's being pushed around.

64345[/snapback]

Agree the Offense who looked like stevetojans all day long gives you a lead and instead of coming out with intensity to stop Jets they just march down field.

Are you serious? That is so rediculous!! Blow up the middle and force the OB to run into or DE's being pushed around.

64651[/snapback]

I hear ya. I was shocked to read that. In college we played a similar type of scheme with our DL and our record was 1-9. lol <_<

Agree the Offense who looked like stevetojans all day long gives you a lead and instead of coming out with intensity to stop Jets they just march down field.

64676[/snapback]

I agree...and Im not suggesting the Bills defense is bad, it just seems in the later part of the games when they have to protect a slim lead, it seems they come up short more often then coming through

I agree...and Im not suggesting the Bills defense is bad, it just seems in the later part of the games when they have to protect a slim lead, it seems they come up short more often then coming through

64692[/snapback]

What perplexes me is that I can't tell if it's the player's fault or the scheme. In the Jax game it seemed to me to be a scheme problem since they were playing far too soft of a zone and giving up tons of yards. Yet Nate screwed up and didn't bat down the pass...so which was it?

Then in the NE game it seemed like they were playing too tight, jamming the line and STILL not getting pressure. Then Coy Wire was getting burned.

Yesterday on that final drive it seemed like Gray was playing a zone scheme like he did in Jax and they gave up chunks of yards when they really counted...

So I don't know who to point the finger at on the defensive side of the ball.

What perplexes me is that I can't tell if it's the player's fault or the scheme. In the Jax game it seemed to me to be a scheme problem since they were playing far too soft of a zone and giving up tons of yards. Yet Nate screwed up and didn't bat down the pass...so which was it?

Then in the NE game it seemed like they were playing too tight, jamming the line and STILL not getting pressure. Then Coy Wire was getting burned.

Yesterday on that final drive it seemed like Gray was playing a zone scheme like he did in Jax and they gave up chunks of yards when they really counted...

So I don't know who to point the finger at on the defensive side of the ball.

64698[/snapback]

Jerry Gray doesnt impress me. He never seems to come up with something new for a specific opponent. At least we seemed to be able to pressure Chad better than the total lack of pressure on Brady ( maybe the Jets OL just doesnt know how to hold as well as the NE line does)

People can complain about the offense all day, but when it finally came alive and gave us a lead from a 13 point defecit, that D should have come out fired up and ready to destroy the Jets O. Instead it was the same old thing and the D blew it. As bad as the Offense played they came back and did their job when they had to the most, the Defense crumbled when they needed to come up big. And to tell you the truth I wasn't the least bit surprised.