Wade Phillips to interview for Cowboys Head Coach

millbank

Given the amount of respect Wade is getting on this thread, it seems not many of you actually remember how the 2000 season went for the Bills.

Remember...Wade succeeded Dan Reeves as head coach in Denver and failed almost immediately. He was lucky with the Bills because they ran a GREAT defense and Flutie masked the problems with the OL. Yes, the Bills reached the playoffs in '98 and '99 under Wade, but his decisions on the field were questionable (Flutie vs Johnson says it all, but there were others).

He seemed inept with regards to everything going on around him, fired one of the best ST coaches in Bills history to mask a huge mistake that Wade himself made, hired a replacement that had no coaching experience whatsoever (but he was friends with!), mis-handled a QB controversy that tore apart the locker room, then refused to let go his buddy when it was painfully obvious that the Bills ST were the most putrid in history.

Wade is an excellent DC, but a mediocre HC.

All that, and he still found a way to win.

I liked Wade as a head coach and thought he did a really nice job here. If he could skip the press conferences, he'd be all set. When he told the media that the Bills v Colts game was meaningless late in his last season as HC because both teams were out of the playoffs, and the Colts went on to make it to the playoffs, it was the last straw. Wade was a good coach and terrible with the media.

I don't recall him being a good head coach, I recall him looking confused a lot on the sidelines.

...but what about the headset. :thumbsup:

Who cares about the headset....GW and Meathead both wore headsets.

Wade meanwhile guided the Bills to their last two playoff appearances. I think the record goes 10-6, 11-5 and 8-8 if I'm not mistaken (with two playoff appearances). As a Bills fan I would kill now for such a three-year stretch. I miss the good ole' days of Wade Phillips (pre Ol' Whitey).

He seemed inept with regards to everything going on around him, fired one of the best ST coaches in Bills history to mask a huge mistake that Wade himself made, hired a replacement that had no coaching experience whatsoever (but he was friends with!), mis-handled a QB controversy that tore apart the locker room, then refused to let go his buddy when it was painfully obvious that the Bills ST were the most putrid in history.

with everything going on around him? I disagree. The QB dilemma was the same one that Wayne Fontes had- none of them were any good.

Did did make a mistake firing DeHaven, and Jones was in over his head. He was right in wanting to keep Ronnie Jones though- he was a good defensive coach, but was in way over his head on special teams.

As far as masking his own mistake, Donavan Greer, Jonathan Linton, and whoever the third guy was that vacated his lane is the one who blew it. Wade told them to stay in their lanes, because it was obvious that some kind of trick return was coming- Bruce Smith told them a second time as well.