Wade Phillips to interview for Cowboys Head Coach

millbank

Wade Phillips

And Phillips is officially interested in one of the NFL's most prestigious jobs, which opened up when Bill Parcells retired on Monday. The 59-year-old coach, also in Mobile this week, had yet to speak to anyone from the Cowboys, but he made it clear that he intends to pursue the position.

Born in Orange, Texas, Phillips played linebacker at the University of Houston and began his NFL coaching career as a linebackers coach for the Houston Oilers under his father, Bum.

I have to give Wade kudos for his skills on the defensive side of the ball.

(and his head coaching record ain't bad)

By the many fine posts I have seen about him recently on this board- his image or poularity is on the rise around here.

We Bills supporters can be a cruel and hostile bunch and we have run quite a few people out of town

(even if only in our minds)

Is this unprecedented territory that Phillips is clearing?

Will there be others that we have banished that we allow back in our good graces?

I liked Wade as a head coach and thought he did a really nice job here. If he could skip the press conferences, he'd be all set. When he told the media that the Bills v Colts game was meaningless late in his last season as HC because both teams were out of the playoffs, and the Colts went on to make it to the playoffs, it was the last straw. Wade was a good coach and terrible with the media.

I have to give Wade kudos for his skills on the defensive side of the ball.

(and his head coaching record ain't bad)

By the many fine posts I have seen about him recently on this board- his image or poularity is on the rise around here.

We Bills supporters can be a cruel and hostile bunch and we have run quite a few people out of town

(even if only in our minds)

Is this unprecedented territory that Phillips is clearing?

Will there be others that we have banished that we allow back in our good graces?

I guess you could somewhat consider Travis Henry cause most wanted him to be demoted or dealt because McGahee was supposed to be better, now they want him back. Maybe even Ruben Brown? They almost were willing to do it to JP Losman

My guess is soon we will hear praise for:

McGahee

Greg Williams (maybe not for HC but as a co-ordinator)

TKO (if they were to release him)

Given the amount of respect Wade is getting on this thread, it seems not many of you actually remember how the 2000 season went for the Bills.

Remember...Wade succeeded Dan Reeves as head coach in Denver and failed almost immediately. He was lucky with the Bills because they ran a GREAT defense and Flutie masked the problems with the OL. Yes, the Bills reached the playoffs in '98 and '99 under Wade, but his decisions on the field were questionable (Flutie vs Johnson says it all, but there were others).

He seemed inept with regards to everything going on around him, fired one of the best ST coaches in Bills history to mask a huge mistake that Wade himself made, hired a replacement that had no coaching experience whatsoever (but he was friends with!), mis-handled a QB controversy that tore apart the locker room, then refused to let go his buddy when it was painfully obvious that the Bills ST were the most putrid in history.

Wade is an excellent DC, but a mediocre HC.

I hope he gets it. Wade is a good man, and a defensive genius.

Which is exactly why I hope he doesn't get the Dallas job......let some jerk get it who deserves to be Jery Jones Yes man and have to put up with Owens