Jerry Jones grasping for straws...

Buftex

Word out of Dallas is that Jason Garrett (former Giants/Cowboys/Scottish Claymores QB, current Miami QB coach) is now the front runner to get the Cowboys head coaching job. Apparently, he has already been offered the OC job in Dallas, and if they can't get anyone better, he will be the HC....I would laugh my ass off if Garrett backed out, realizing that he would have one year to coach the Cowboys (unless they do really well), only to be canned when Cowher or some bigger name is available...sounds like JJ is having a case of Sean Payton envy...to think, he had him in Dallas a year ago...

And what did he do in Miami? He did not make Joey any better.

Maybe it is the year he got to study under the great Mularkey that makes him so attracitve to JJ?

Seriously, I think JJ is looking around, and sees Sean Payton, a young buck who many thought was going into New Orleans, over his head, and thinks, why not? Apparently, Jones interviewed Garrett yesterday, and was impressed. Miami says the Cowboys have until end of business tomorrow, to hire Garrett, or he is off the market. JJ has already been shot down by Stoops, the Titans, Steelers/Cowher....there are not a lot of great candidates right now.

He is going to hire someone on the cheap (Garrett or maybe Wade) if he can't get a "big" name. If the Cowboys blow next year, he can can that coach, and go after Cowher, who will contractually free from the Steelers by then...I would have thought Mike Martz would have been a very good candidate for Dallas, but now I don't see that happening. Would Martz come in to Dallas, with his OC already in place? I doubt it...

Maybe it is the year he got to study under the great Mularkey that makes him so attracitve to JJ?

Seriously, I think JJ is looking around, and sees Sean Payton, a young buck who many thought was going into New Orleans, over his head, and thinks, why not? Apparently, Jones interviewed Garrett yesterday, and was impressed. Miami says the Cowboys have until end of business tomorrow, to hire Garrett, or he is off the market. JJ has already been shot down by Stoops, the Titans, Steelers/Cowher....there are not a lot of great candidates right now.

He is going to hire someone on the cheap (Garrett or maybe Wade) if he can't get a "big" name. If the Cowboys blow next year, he can can that coach, and go after Cowher, who will contractually free from the Steelers by then...I would have thought Mike Martz would have been a very good candidate for Dallas, but now I don't see that happening. Would Martz come in to Dallas, with his OC already in place? I doubt it...

Retirement may not waive the last year of Cowher's contract.

Hard to be retired when you want to coach the Cowboys.

The Steelers will take the position that he haad 1 year on his contract when he quit and he needs to coach that last year in Pittsburgh or they need to be compensated if he wants to coach elsewhere.

I would laugh my ass off if Garrett backed out, realizing that he would have one year to coach the Cowboys (unless they do really well), only to be canned when Cowher or some bigger name is available...sounds like JJ is having a case of Sean Payton envy...to think, he had him in Dallas a year ago...

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this is what Jones is doing....just getting someone for a year as a filler before they can convince Bill Cowher to show up in Big D.

And all the Dallas fans love Garrett the way we love Frank Reich. Garrett didn't lead them to a playoff win, but he was the solid backup that did well each time he got a chance to play. His biggest claim to fame (I think) was the comeback win against Green Bay on Thanksgiving Day several years ago (either during their Superbowl years or right after, I believe).

Jason Garrett is from Cleveland. He's a Class of 1987 kid from University School, which is a prep school for the snobby rich kids from places like Beachwood and Pepper Pike on the East Side.

(There's an old joke here in Cleveland that, in the waning moments of a hockey game where University School lost to Shaker Heights, the kids on the US side started chanting, "It's alright, it's OK, you'll all work for us someday.")

Garrett matriculated at Princeton, which means either his dad is a legacy or he's got some smarts. He was being talked about as a candidate for the Browns' OC job, but apparently turned them down. Probably a smart move.

If he is named the Cowboys' HC, I say more power to him. He is well liked by the fans there and has the intelligence to be successful...but is he too young at 37? Wait and see.

Jason Garrett is from Cleveland. He's a Class of 1987 kid from University School, which is a prep school for the snobby rich kids from places like Beachwood and Pepper Pike on the East Side.

(There's an old joke here in Cleveland that, in the waning moments of a hockey game where University School lost to Shaker Heights, the kids on the US side started chanting, "It's alright, it's OK, you'll all work for us someday.")

Garrett matriculated at Princeton, which means either his dad is a legacy or he's got some smarts. He was being talked about as a candidate for the Browns' OC job, but apparently turned them down. Probably a smart move.

If he is named the Cowboys' HC, I say more power to him. He is well liked by the fans there and has the intelligence to be successful...but is he too young at 37? Wait and see.

Is he younger then Oaklands new coach?

Is he younger then Oaklands new coach?

Good point, but the difference is that the Raiders are a joke. They have nothing to lose by naming Kiffin as their HC.

The Cowboys are still the NFL's most popular team. That job is probably the hardest in football, with JJ looking over your shoulder. I think that JJ would name himself HC if he could get away with it. Dallas can be a contender for the next few years...if they name the right coach.

Also, I would think they want a big-name coach before they move into their new palace of a stadium in the next couple of years.

Dallas is starting to go downhill. :thumbdown:

When were they up....They lost 4 of their last 6 games, and limped into the playoffs only because their conference was so weak and then messed up their chance to go to the next round..Both Dallas and the Giants were mediocre teams in the NFC East and will continue to remain mediocre..

Word out of Dallas is that Jason Garrett (former Giants/Cowboys/Scottish Claymores QB, current Miami QB coach) is now the front runner to get the Cowboys head coaching job. Apparently, he has already been offered the OC job in Dallas, and if they can't get anyone better, he will be the HC...

Isn't it possible that HE has hired HIS offensive coordinator ? That Jerry Jones might just have to step in and coach the team himself if this self made mess requires a one year solution ?

Money, ego and lunacy make this at least an outside shot.

Isn't it possible that HE has hired HIS offensive coordinator ? That Jerry Jones might just have to step in and coach the team himself if this self made mess requires a one year solution ?

Money, ego and lunacy make this at least an outside shot.

I know you are being sarcastic, but you know, that is basically what Al Davis does in Oakland. JJ worships Davis...

I know you are being sarcastic...

Not so much; Jimmy Johnson made comments to that effect questioning Jones appreciation of the Head Coach's contribution when he left the job. Was it really just a glorified CEO position ? (And that sort of thing)...

You'd think the Switzer, Gailey, Campo devolution would beat that out of him, but you never do know.