Problem with my furnace - Help :(

Fezmid

Ok, I'm guessing the chances of finding an HVAC person on a Saturday night are next to nil, so hopefully someone here knows something about furances... :D

We noticed that it was getting pretty chilly in the house and that the furnace wasn't turning on. So I went into the basement and looked at it and there's a blinking LED light giving us error code #14. According to the manual:

#14: Ignition Lockout - Control will reset after 3 hours. Refer to #34.

Ok, so I look at #34:

#34: Ignition Proving Failure. Control will try three more times before lockout #14 occurs. If flame signal lost after trial for ignition period, blower will come on for 90 second recycle delay. Check for:

1) Oxide buildup on flame sensor (use steel wool to clean)

2) proper flame sensor microamps

3) gas valve defective or gas valve turned off

4) Defective hot surface igniter

5) low inlet gas pressure

6) control ground continuity

7) manual valve shutoff

8) Green wire MUST be connected to furnace sheet metal

9) Inadaquate flame carryover or rough ignition

10) Flame sensor must be ungrounded

Umm, ok, none of this makes any sense to me. Gas appears to be fine to the house, since our gas fireplace works. Other than that, I'm at a loss. :D Help?

CW

Well, I looked on Angies List (Great service, BTW -- http://www.angieslist.com ) and called an HVAC guy. He called us back from a monster truck rally in the Metrodome :D

Anyway, he had me go into the basement, turn the power off of the furnace, take the front cover off, then turn it on (as an aside, the manual clearly states not to do that...). He asked if I could see a motor spinning at the top; there was a motor, but it wasn't spinning at first. However, after 30-40 seconds, it did start spinning. He then told me to look at the bottom for the flame area and see if it started getting hot (turning white). Nothing happened and I started to smell gas, so he had me turn the furnance off and said it's the igniter that's bad and that I couldn't replace that myself :D

So he's going to come out tomorrow morning and replace the igniter and hopefully won't charge a fortune for it :wallbash:

CW

Well, I looked on Angies List (Great service, BTW -- http://www.angieslist.com ) and called an HVAC guy. He called us back from a monster truck rally in the Metrodome :D

Anyway, he had me go into the basement, turn the power off of the furnace, take the front cover off, then turn it on (as an aside, the manual clearly states not to do that...). He asked if I could see a motor spinning at the top; there was a motor, but it wasn't spinning at first. However, after 30-40 seconds, it did start spinning. He then told me to look at the bottom for the flame area and see if it started getting hot (turning white). Nothing happened and I started to smell gas, so he had me turn the furnance off and said it's the igniter that's bad and that I couldn't replace that myself :wallbash:

So he's going to come out tomorrow morning and replace the igniter and hopefully won't charge a fortune for it :lol:

CW

If he does charge you for it just call his office and ask for the retention department and tell them you're going to cancel unless he throws in a free HD DVR for six months oh wait :D Just messing with your Fez, I wish I had some real advice but just had to chime in and hope for your sake it doesn't cost you too much.

If he does charge you for it just call his office and ask for the retention department and tell them you're going to cancel unless he throws in a free HD DVR for six months oh wait :D Just messing with your Fez, I wish I had some real advice but just had to chime in and hope for your sake it doesn't cost you too much.

We have a bunch of extra lacrosse tickets for the Swarm (Buffalo beat them tonight, 22-13 :wallbash: ), so my wife said we should offer to pay him with the tickets instead. They're nice tickets - 8 rows from the glass, center court :D

Update:

The furnace guy ended up coming out last night instead of Sunday morning. As he suspected, he had to replace the igniter (to the tune of $330... :D ). He said that when they crack, they stop working, and that they usually break every 5-7 years. To make matters worse, there's no way to detect when one will break. Other htan that, he said our furnance looks to be in great shape and was installed really well, so that was nice to hear. $330 sucks (need to remember to budget $80/year for the furnance igniter I guess), but at least it wasn't something hard I guess.

CW

Update:

The furnace guy ended up coming out last night instead of Sunday morning. As he suspected, he had to replace the igniter (to the tune of $330... :D ). He said that when they crack, they stop working, and that they usually break every 5-7 years. To make matters worse, there's no way to detect when one will break. Other htan that, he said our furnance looks to be in great shape and was installed really well, so that was nice to hear. $330 sucks (need to remember to budget $80/year for the furnance igniter I guess), but at least it wasn't something hard I guess.

CW

I have a wood burning stove so I don't have to worry about the furnace breaking. Boy, I wish I had been in Buffalo when that storm hit in October! I'd have enough wood for 10 years!

I have a wood burning stove so I don't have to worry about the furnace breaking. Boy, I wish I had been in Buffalo when that storm hit in October! I'd have enough wood for 10 years!

I burn wood also. The less my furnace kicks on the better! It's a great thing to have during loss of power or storm related issues.

Fez, you ever have thoughts of installing a wood stove for back up heat in case of an emergency? It's kinda like backing up your data on a hard drive. :D

I burn wood also. The less my furnace kicks on the better! It's a great thing to have during loss of power or storm related issues.

Fez, you ever have thoughts of installing a wood stove for back up heat in case of an emergency? It's kinda like backing up your data on a hard drive. :D

We have a backup -- our fireplace worked fine for us until the guy showed up :D

Now if the gas was out altogether, we'd be screwed...

CW