Citizens group fights Hooters

Tux of Borg

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../701190373/1009

Residents plan rally to oppose opening of eatery on Big Beaver

TROY -- A citizens group is gearing up to stop Hooters of America Inc. from opening its new restaurant on the highly visible Big Beaver corridor, joining an already heated legal fight between city officials and the company over its liquor license.

The group, named the Troy Concerned Citizens Group, is contacting city and state officials and organizing a citizens rally to garner support for what its members view as a fight to keep the reputation of the commercial road upstanding and family friendly.

"We will stand up for the values and what makes sense for that location," said Herb Everss, a group's unofficial spokesman and a city resident since 1972.

The group met Thursday to strategize its countermove to the company's latest salvo: its announcement earlier this week it would operate two Hooters restaurants in Troy, opening the new restaurant later this month -- sans liquor license -- as well as keeping its existing restaurant on John R open rather than closing it as previously promised.

"This 'putting us in a corner with a gun to the head' approach -- it's not good business tactics," Everss said.

Hooters sued Troy after the City Council voted 4-3 in June to deny the new restaurant a license that would allow the sale of alcohol. A federal court hearing is scheduled Feb. 7.

On Jan. 8, council members tabled any action on Hooters pending the court outcome, rebuffing Hooters' offer to reduce signage and operate only one restaurant in the city in exchange for the liquor license.

Members of the citizens group say they support the council. Several say that membership is growing; leaders received about 80 e-mails and phone calls from residents. The location of a Feb. 5 rally has yet to be confirmed.

Hooters, known for waitresses wearing tight shorts and tight tops, often faces neighborhood opposition to new restaurants.

"I respect what they're doing," said Mike McNeil, vice president of marketing for Hooters of America. "But the same constitution that allows them to assemble and express their opinion gives us a right to exist in that location."

He added that he believed the group was a "very vocal minority" in the community.

"If we felt it represented the feelings of the majority, we wouldn't be going there," he said.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../701190373/1009

Residents plan rally to oppose opening of eatery on Big Beaver

TROY -- A citizens group is gearing up to stop Hooters of America Inc. from opening its new restaurant on the highly visible Big Beaver corridor, joining an already heated legal fight between city officials and the company over its liquor license.

I wouldn't think a liquor license would be that hard to come by in the Big Beaver corridor... :thumbsup:

In my town, Hooters wanted to open only the second one in the Bay area. They were taking over a restaurant that was closing. Since it was already zoned for a restaurant already, they couldn't be stopped.

The town tried to state it was in a historic district to try and stop it. There is the original church, school and cemetery about a block away and there are some historical markers even closer. But the intersection it is on has two gas stations and a Petco store! Real historic. Hooters agreed to make the signs smaller than they usually do. Apart from the traffic when it opened, there have been no problems.

And yet the Hooters here in RaChaCha quietly closed its doors over the holidays...

There shouldn't be a hooters anywhere in WNY with the selection available. Their food is terrible! They can't even make a burger correctly.

If I wanted to see T&A, I could just go to Lundy's Lane.

The food sucks out here in NE, but I still wouldn't eat at Hooters.

Man, how self conscious do you have to be about your own ugliness to protest against a restaurant??

It's not like any Hooters north of the Mason Dixon line actually employs hot girls anyway.

Besides that, who gives a !@#$ anyway......its Hooters. Am I missing something? When did Hooters become so bad? Its girls in short shorts and tight t-shirts.....you can see a lot more by going to the pool. If you don't like the atmosphere, don't go.