Ho Hum another Toyota recall

beerme1

Just another day in the life of the golden Toyota. But lets try to keep it buried on the back pages ok?

So as they ramp up production it seems lately that the golden company aint so different at all and in the latest installment, here's the proof.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16697719/

Hey Toyota, mi casa sous casa?

Since we all know that recalls only happen to Toyota's :unsure:

I'm not worried about a component that is fixed by the manufacturer. I'm more worried of a broken engine component that will not be covered under the warranty after 3 years.

trucks and SUV's...

i bet the Camry and Corolla are still bulletproof

I've never owned any other brand than Toyota and I will always keep it that way.

I have a 2003 Corolla now with 75k, no problems (knock on wood)

I owned an 88' that I just got rid of that ran strong at 240k.

People love to point out when Toyota or Honda has a recall but I'm quite sure that the amount of recalls on American brand cars is much higher.

Just another day in the life of the golden Toyota. But lets try to keep it buried on the back pages ok?

So as they ramp up production it seems lately that the golden company aint so different at all and in the latest installment, here's the proof.

"aint' so different at all" from what?

American manufacturers?

just look at the reliability numbers put out every year by car and driver and get back to me how many american companies are at the top of the list.

trucks and SUV's...

i bet the Camry and Corolla are still bulletproof

Not so fast...a previous post:

In the late '90's Toyoya narrowed coolant passages in their main-stream I-4 and V-6 motors to raise combustion chamber temperatures, to increase fuel efficiency. Oil collecting in the valleys of the cylinder head(s) got overheated and broke down. The resulting sludge eventually broke free and clogged oil passages, resulting in major engine damage.

If the settlement is finalized in court this February, 7.5 million Toyota/Lexus current and previous owners will receive notification of the settlement.

If you own an affected-class vehicle, read it over carefully.

"Toyota Agrees to Sludge Settlement for Consumers. Class Action Suit Brings Relief to 3.5 Million Toyota, Lexus Owners

By Joe Benton

ConsumerAffairs.Com January 8, 2007

Consumers saddled with sludge-clogged Toyota engines may soon get some help from the Japanese auto giant under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement that covers roughly 3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by engine oil sludge.

An engine gummed up with oil sludge can cost thousands of dollars to repair and in many cases must be replaced. The class action settlement could potentially cost the automaker hundreds of millions of dollars.

The agreement will allow consumers whose claims have been denied by Toyota to submit those claims to a third-party mediator at no cost for binding arbitration.

The lawsuit, filed in a Louisiana district court, could receive final approval by the middle of February. Details of the settlement are being mailed to 7.5 million current and previous Toyota and Lexus owners.

The agreement provides owners of sludge-damaged Toyotas eight years plus 120 days from the original purchase date to file a complaint.

Toyota consumers who have repaired their sludge-damaged engines may be able to recover their costs. The car only needs to show evidence of oil sludge damage.

The terms of the settlement are transferable to future vehicle owners."

and

"Toyotas covered by the Louisiana settlement include the:

• Camry 4 cylinder from 1997-2001,

• Camry 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,

• Camry Solara 4 cylinder from 1999-2001,

• Camry Solara 6 cylinder 1999-2002,

• Sienna 6 cylinder from 1998-2002,

• Avalon 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,

• Celica 4 cylinder from 1997-1999,

• Highlander 6 cylinder from 2001-2002,

• Lexus ES 300 from 1997-2002 and

• Lexus RX 300 from 1999-2002."

Not so fast...a previous post:

In the late '90's Toyoya narrowed coolant passages in their main-stream I-4 and V-6 motors to raise combustion chamber temperatures, to increase fuel efficiency. Oil collecting in the valleys of the cylinder head(s) got overheated and broke down. The resulting sludge eventually broke free and clogged oil passages, resulting in major engine damage.

If the settlement is finalized in court this February, 7.5 million Toyota/Lexus current and previous owners will receive notification of the settlement.

If you own an affected-class vehicle, read it over carefully.

"Toyota Agrees to Sludge Settlement for Consumers. Class Action Suit Brings Relief to 3.5 Million Toyota, Lexus Owners

By Joe Benton

ConsumerAffairs.Com January 8, 2007

Consumers saddled with sludge-clogged Toyota engines may soon get some help from the Japanese auto giant under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement that covers roughly 3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by engine oil sludge.

An engine gummed up with oil sludge can cost thousands of dollars to repair and in many cases must be replaced. The class action settlement could potentially cost the automaker hundreds of millions of dollars.

The agreement will allow consumers whose claims have been denied by Toyota to submit those claims to a third-party mediator at no cost for binding arbitration.

The lawsuit, filed in a Louisiana district court, could receive final approval by the middle of February. Details of the settlement are being mailed to 7.5 million current and previous Toyota and Lexus owners.

The agreement provides owners of sludge-damaged Toyotas eight years plus 120 days from the original purchase date to file a complaint.

Toyota consumers who have repaired their sludge-damaged engines may be able to recover their costs. The car only needs to show evidence of oil sludge damage.

The terms of the settlement are transferable to future vehicle owners."

and

"Toyotas covered by the Louisiana settlement include the:

• Camry 4 cylinder from 1997-2001,

• Camry 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,

• Camry Solara 4 cylinder from 1999-2001,

• Camry Solara 6 cylinder 1999-2002,

• Sienna 6 cylinder from 1998-2002,

• Avalon 6 cylinder from 1997-2002,

• Celica 4 cylinder from 1997-1999,

• Highlander 6 cylinder from 2001-2002,

• Lexus ES 300 from 1997-2002 and

• Lexus RX 300 from 1999-2002."

Bump.

This has to be going on for years... I remember seeing it first years ago... The Japs will do anyhting to keep public perception high... Delay, delay, delay,... DON'T PAY!

The Japs are notoroius for burying their service bulletins... A lot won't even make it to recall... You would be surprised what is out there on the vehicles.

My 1998 Isuzu (since sold) had one for a faulty fuel pump... I didn't notice the bulletin until it was just over the warranty period... Japs manus won't even honor it a few miles over the warranty period... UNLIKE AMERICAN companies...

Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it was recalling 533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems.

Dodge didn't even bother with a recall on my old 89 Dakota. The rack and pinion steering gave out while I was making a left turn one night. I was just glad I wasn't on an on ramp at the time. It took weeks to fix, since Dodge was out of stock of that particular item. Seems they couldn't keep enough rack and pinion steering replacements on the shelves. :blink:

At least Toyota is doing something about it. Dodge charged me $600 in 1991 to replace it, since is wasn't part of the their 7-70 powertrain warranty, even though there was less than 30k on that piece of trash.

(FYI, this is not bashing the Detroit auto worker. The Dakota back then was assembled in Canada using a Mitsubishi engine. I'm bashing the poor engineering of that lemon though.)

Dodge didn't even bother with a recall on my old 89 Dakota. The rack and pinion steering gave out while I was making a left turn one night. I was just glad I wasn't on an on ramp at the time. It took weeks to fix, since Dodge was out of stock of that particular item. Seems they couldn't keep enough rack and pinion steering replacements on the shelves. :blink:

At least Toyota is doing something about it. Dodge charged me $600 in 1991 to replace it, since is wasn't part of the their 7-70 powertrain warranty, even though there was less than 30k on that piece of trash.

(FYI, this is not bashing the Detroit auto worker. The Dakota back then was assembled in Canada using a Mitsubishi engine. I'm bashing the poor engineering of that lemon though.)

You are talking years when A LOT of crap was built... Both sides of the ocean.

You think Toyota wants to do something about it?... My guess is that they would like to bury it too... It is going on 10 years now...

And I would glady take a some sort of engine component failure anyday over a Honda airbag sensor killing my wife or light weight passenger.

They just had China's automobile offering in the US TODAY... Interesting, I want to see how that will effect the industry...

You are talking years when A LOT of crap was built... Both sides of the ocean.

You think Toyota wants to do something about it?... My guess is that they would like to bury it too... It is going on 10 years now...

And I would glady take a some sort of engine component failure anyday over a Honda airbag sensor killing my wife or light weight passenger.

They just had China's automobile offering in the US TODAY... Interesting, I want to see how that will effect the industry...

Name one crappy Honda or Toyota in the late 80s... (Ok, maybe the Avalon.) I put 200k on 86, 88, and 91 Preludes, all after I got rid of that Dodge. The crappy designs were in general not in Japan. BTW, while Dodges are known for being built in North America, they are just as foreign as Mercedes.

Airbags go off sometimes, regardless of the make, but they are responsible for more saved more lives than lost lives.

Like I said, it's the engineering that is bad in America, not the guy putting it together.

Name one crappy Honda or Toyota in the late 80s... (Ok, maybe the Avalon.) I put 200k on 86, 88, and 91 Preludes, all after I got rid of that Dodge. The crappy designs were in general not in Japan. BTW, while Dodges are known for being built in North America, they are just as foreign as Mercedes.

Airbags go off sometimes, regardless of the make, but they are responsible for more saved more lives than lost lives.

Like I said, it's the engineering that is bad in America, not the guy putting it together.

What happened after 200k?... Did the car fall apart or were they running strong? My take they are "throw away cars?" The person who got it next (your Honda's)... Are they still running? What about body?

I put +300k on my 1994 Chrysler New Yorker and finally traded it in last year... Whoever got that car was getting one great car with many more 100's left on it... If not a million... No rust, and the slow exchange of worn out parts, the car will last forever... I just wanted something newer and the wife didn't want 3 cars around... Or else I would have kept it.

The 1980's were rust buckets...

ANY car will last forever today, if taken care of...