Football, but not Bills Related

plenzmd1

Remember ole Andre"dirty" Waters. Well, it seemd he commited suicide. Well read on..

From San Diego Union

Since former Philadelphia Eagles safety Andre Waters killed himself in November, an explanation for his suicide has remained a mystery.

But after examining portions of Waters' brain, a neuropathologist is claiming that Waters sustained brain damage from playing football that, he says, led to Waters' depression and ultimate death.

The neuropathologist, Dr. Bennet Omalu of the University of Pittsburgh and a leading expert in forensic pathology, determined that Waters' brain tissue had degenerated into that of an 85-year-old man with similar characteristics as those of early-stage Alzheimer's victims. Omalu said he believed that the damage was either caused or drastically expedited by successive concussions Waters, 44, sustained playing football.

A hard-hitting Eagles strong safety from 1984-93, Waters was asked in 1994 by the Philadelphia Inquirer to count his career concussions. “I think I lost count at 15,” he was quoted as saying. He later added: “I just wouldn't say anything. I'd sniff some smelling salts, then go back in there.”

The NFL declined to comment on Waters' case specifically. A member of the league's mild traumatic brain injury committee, Dr. Andrew Tucker, said that the NFL was beginning a study of retired players later this year to examine the more general issue of football concussions and subsequent depression.

It was striking, Mr. Nowinski said. Asked in 1994 by The Philadelphia Inquirer to count his career concussions, Mr. Waters replied, “I think I lost count at 15.” He later added: “I just wouldn’t say anything. I’d sniff some smelling salts, then go back in there.”

That is downright scary.

Great article. Al Toon considerd suicide as well, that is also scary. Man, I just hope Tim Connoly reads some of this stuff before deciding on whether to come or not.

I agree.

As much as the Sabres need Tim Connolly back...he is only 25, has his life ahead of him...you have to make choices i life...but for athletes...sports is life...so many of them would rather roll the dice on another concussion then to walk away from the game and not know what to do with their life.

Not to be insensative but he played at his own risk. Its tough knowing that going in at any day you could be ruined for life, by a freak hit or something. Its pretty sad. I am glad I stopped at college, luckily I never had a concussion and thats pretty rare for a center and linebacker.

keep in mind... it's the doctor's theory... not fact.

No doubt the dude's gotten a little whacky from football, but, I have a hard time believeing if he's alzheimerish, he has enough cognitive ability to know what's going on and to conciously calculate/plot his demise.