Dolphins bring in Shula for a second interview...

RayFinkle

LINKY

I'm not one to laugh at another franchise's misfortune, after all I am a Bills fan. That said, this Dolphins situation just gets better and better.

Mike Shula enters the Dolphins coaching hunt

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins' search for a coach may be making a bold and nostalgic reach toward the past with the team interviewing Mike Shula, son of Don Shula, over the weekend.

Shula spent Saturday talking with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga and his staff about the possibility of succeeding Nick Saban.

Ironically, Saban left the Dolphins to become coach at Alabama after Shula was fired by the Crimson Tide.

The idea of bringing Shula back to the franchise has been kept under wraps because the team wanted to gauge if he was indeed a legitimate candidate for the job. Having had two interviews, he apparently is.

The Dolphins have also interviewed Jim Mora and Chan Gailey twice.

People familiar with the search told The Miami Herald today that no decision has been made on a coach and no offer has been made.

Shula posted a 26-23 record during four seasons at Alabama, taking the team to a bowl each of his final three seasons. He spent three seasons as the offensive coordinator with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1996-99.

Shula, 41, grew up around the Dolphins. He was a ball boy during his youth and returned later to serve as an assistant coach under his father before heading briefly to the Chicago Bears as an assistant.

Shula is close friends with Dolphins president Bryan Wiedmeier.

Reaching out to Shula might be a good move for the Dolphins as the franchise is seeking someone with head coaching experience but also someone who will invigorate the fan base after five seasons without a playoff appearance.

The Shula name remains the standard by which coaching excellence is measured. Don Shula won 347 games during his career, the most by any NFL coach.

LMFAO...ROTF...I'm not this lucky!! I'm really not!!

Now, how about if he retains Meathead as OC???

Oh my friggin god!!! Mike Shula matching wits with Belichek and Mangini and dealing with the class & professionalism of Jauron. Gotta love it!!

While this is hilarious, I'm guessing there was a similar reaction from Fin Fans when we brought Marv back.

Just sayin', we probably shouldnt be throwing stones at the whole nostalgia trip.

But hey, at least we brought back the original and didnt stoop to getting our legend's son.