London will host first regular season game

millbank

London first host

The NFL received interest from several German cities, but settled on London for the first game.

"There is no better place to begin this initiative than London," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday. "It is one of the great cities of the world with an established and growing fan base for our game."

The venue and teams for next season's game will be announced later.

NFL owners voted in October to play up to two games outside the United States every season for the next five years. The international series will kick off with the game later this year in London.

Britain, Canada, Germany and Mexico have been identified as the top markets for NFL games outside the United States. China and Japan were ruled out of the running.

While the London venue hasn't been announced, the favourite option is the new Wembley Stadium, which is due to open this spring after years of delays.

• 2 weeks later...
London Fletcher must have a big backyard! :lol:

I thought the same thing when I read that. School sucks I really need some more sleep. By the way Aussie...a maroon is also a reference to runaway slaves that made it to freedom. The phrase "What a maroon" was popularized by Bugs Bunny in reference to people acting foolish. Just thought I'd throw that out since work sucks and I'm bored.

The ONLY way I would support this is if every team gives up one home game to play out of the country. Remember the outrage last year when the Giants got an extra home game because of Katrina? Its equally as unfair to the Dolphins (and for the Giants, its payback). The schedule is already set for years in advance.

Who cares, the NFL does not need to be a worldwide game. Nor does Soccer. We already have american football in europe. Nobody cares. the NFL isnt going to be any different. Imagine if England played the Netherlands in soccer in Chicago. Would you go? Would you care? I might if I was living in Chicago. I might if I knew it would be remotely the same as if it was being played in London. I might if I could name ANY player on either of the teams. But I cant. Would it help soccer succeed in the US? Unlikely.

Who cares, the NFL does not need to be a worldwide game.

This has little to do with need and everything to do with I want.. I want.. I want.

In this case the global economy and football as an opportunity to make money which also happen to be a sport (in the old days there was at least the illusion that it happened to be the other way around and football was a sport which happened to also be a way of making money) is primarily about the NFL making every nickel it can as fast as they can.

What the sport needs or what fans need is secondary to their desire to make a buck and the game has suffered for it since it really is no longer a game.