trade UP

vegas55

:blink: Sign Clements to a contract which includes a (guaranteed) 2007 salary of 16 million+; then trade Clements to Washington who can renogiate that 16 million dollar salary into a signing bonus. That way we take zero cap hit when we trade him, and the skins lessen their cap hit by converting that 16 mill into a signing bonus. This guarantees the Skins obtain the services of Clements. In exchange, we swap positions with the Skins in the first round,, and take Alan Branch, who fills a huge hole in the middle. Skins end up with Clements and the 12th pick in the draft. We are likely to lose Clements with zero compensation anyway.

:blink: Sign Clements to a contract which includes a (guaranteed) 2007 salary of 16 million+; then trade Clements to Washington who can renogiate that 16 million dollar salary into a signing bonus. That way we take zero cap hit when we trade him, and the skins lessen their cap hit by converting that 16 mill into a signing bonus. This guarantees the Skins obtain the services of Clements. In exchange, we swap positions with the Skins in the first round,, and take Alan Branch, who fills a huge hole in the middle. Skins end up with Clements and the 12th pick in the draft. We are likely to lose Clements with zero compensation anyway.

Regardless of the soundness of your arguments, Marv will never ever trade up. This was established fact to several here prior to the 2006 draft, and they sited Marv's history as an indicator. Never mind that last year was Marv's first as a GM. Never mind the McCargo pick. He will never ever do it. <_<

sorry, that one still rankles

Regardless of the soundness of your arguments, Marv will never ever trade up. This was established fact to several here prior to the 2006 draft, and they sited Marv's history as an indicator. Never mind that last year was Marv's first as a GM. Never mind the McCargo pick. He will never ever do it. :blink:

How did they get Cornelius Bennett ?

How did they get Cornelius Bennett ?

It was part of a 3-way trade between the Rams / Colts & Bills early in the 87 Season.

Bills got Bennet who was holding out on the Colts

Indy got Dickerson who was holding out(?) on the Rams

and the Rams got Greg Bell and a Draft Pick from the Bills (can't remember what round)

Regardless of the soundness of your arguments, Marv will never ever trade up. This was established fact to several here prior to the 2006 draft, and they sited Marv's history as an indicator. Never mind that last year was Marv's first as a GM. Never mind the McCargo pick. He will never ever do it. :blink:

how does the mccargo tradeup/pick rankle when we don't know what we've got in him yet? Yeah, i know, we could possibly have gotten him if we didn't trade up, but do you really think levy and co. are so stupid that they would just trade up for no damn reason to pick up a player? there was obviously some kind of indication that he would not be there (now whether someone was blowing smoke up marv's ass is another story, but who knows?) If mccargo doesn't work out however, then yes it will be a terrible move, but that's the risk you always take with draft picks

I hate the idea of trading up. I like trading down, get 2 mid to late round first picks and a couple of second rounders and then you can get four good footballers at the same price a top 5 player might cost.

I hate the idea of trading up. I like trading down, get 2 mid to late round first picks and a couple of second rounders and then you can get four good footballers at the same price a top 5 player might cost.

The only team that has two 1st Round picks in the draft thus far is the New England Patriots. The only teams with multiple picks in Round 2 are the Jets and Buccaneers. So unless you want to help a division rival unless or want to trade out of the 1st Round (since the Bucs are drafting ahead of us) I doubt we'll be trading down in the first two rounds. Oh and their second 2nd Rounder belongs to the Colts so not sure if want to trade that low even if meant getting two high 3rd Rounders. If looking for a trading partner we might want to consider the Saints and 49ers who both own three picks in Round 4.

how does the mccargo tradeup/pick rankle when we don't know what we've got in him yet? Yeah, i know, we could possibly have gotten him if we didn't trade up, but do you really think levy and co. are so stupid that they would just trade up for no damn reason to pick up a player? there was obviously some kind of indication that he would not be there (now whether someone was blowing smoke up marv's ass is another story, but who knows?) If mccargo doesn't work out however, then yes it will be a terrible move, but that's the risk you always take with draft picks

No, sorry I didn't splain myself well enough. I have no issue with trading up or down for that matter if it makes sense.

What still rankles is the fact that there were folks last off season saying that there was no way Levy would trade up. Those people sited Marv's history (though he had none as a GM) etc etc etc. So, I have no problem with trades, just folks who spout nonsense and back it up with more nonsense (though I've been known to do the same :blink: ).

It was part of a 3-way trade between the Rams / Colts & Bills early in the 87 Season.

Bills got Bennet who was holding out on the Colts

Indy got Dickerson who was holding out(?) on the Rams

and the Rams got Greg Bell and a Draft Pick from the Bills (can't remember what round)

Actually the Bills traded their 1988 1st round pick and 1989 1st & 2nd round picks to the Colts in addition to trading Bell. So we got Biscuit for 2 1sts, a 2nd, and Bell.

GO BILLS!!!