(LAMP) My Weekend in New Orleans

plenzmd1

My wife and I spent the weekend in New Orleans. The trip had been planned for a few months, the game being there was just a bonus. Just a few thoughts.

While differant than traditional tailgating, was in several of the bars in the French Quarter before the game, and must say pretty cool way to tailgate. Had lots of fun with the Saints fans, and while we didn't go the game, kinda felt like I was. First time I have ever been tailgating and didn't go the the game. But, made a promise to myself, next time Bills play in the big easy, I will be there. Great town, great fans.

Second, the pure joy that emminated from the fans after the game almost brought a tear to my eye. It really reminded me of the atmosphere, and how I felt, walking out of Rich after destroying the Raiders and realizing, holy chit, the BILLS are going to the Super Bowl. Add in everything that has happened in that city over the last 18 months, and man it was electric in that town after that game. It was so cool to be on Bourbon street after the game, all the street musicians playing "when the Saints come marching in" strangers hugging each other, just off the hook.

Third, too crazy on Bourbon street for this ole man to hang for long, so went back to the bar in the hotel for a nightcap. Pretty crowded in there, but start talking to the guy next to us(he gave us his seat so my wife could sit, manners are still alive in some places), and come to find out he was from Syracuse and was Moose Johnstons roomate at college. He was meeting him there for a drink after the game. So's long story short, ended up having a beer with Moose, Goose, and Dick Stockton(well, Dick was drinking single malt, guess thats how he keeps that voice). Very nice guys all. Conversation nothing more than pleasantries, but still cool.

BTW, saw only three neighborhoods, so cannot really comment on the state of the city other than the tourist areas, and they are all fine. It was my first time in New Orleans, and I highly recommend it to all, just DO NOT bring your kids. We had a great time, I highly encourage people to consider it for a long weekend. As everyone there will point out, they still desperately need the tourist dollars!!

Glad you had a great time. And so true...if you stay in the City/French Quarter, you'd never know there had been a Katrina. But to anyone who is planning a trip there - I can recommend a drive through the 9th ward just to see how bad it was. Many of the streets STILL don't have any power. Tourist $$$ are definitely needed down there.

"

My wife and I spent the weekend in New Orleans. The trip had been planned for a few months, the game being there was just a bonus. Just a few thoughts.

While differant than traditional tailgating, was in several of the bars in the French Quarter before the game, and must say pretty cool way to tailgate. Had lots of fun with the Saints fans, and while we didn't go the game, kinda felt like I was. First time I have ever been tailgating and didn't go the the game. But, made a promise to myself, next time Bills play in the big easy, I will be there. Great town, great fans.

Second, the pure joy that emminated from the fans after the game almost brought a tear to my eye. It really reminded me of the atmosphere, and how I felt, walking out of Rich after destroying the Raiders and realizing, holy chit, the BILLS are going to the Super Bowl. Add in everything that has happened in that city over the last 18 months, and man it was electric in that town after that game. It was so cool to be on Bourbon street after the game, all the street musicians playing "when the Saints come marching in" strangers hugging each other, just off the hook.

Third, too crazy on Bourbon street for this ole man to hang for long, so went back to the bar in the hotel for a nightcap. Pretty crowded in there, but start talking to the guy next to us(he gave us his seat so my wife could sit, manners are still alive in some places), and come to find out he was from Syracuse and was Moose Johnstons roomate at college. He was meeting him there for a drink after the game. So's long story short, ended up having a beer with Moose, Goose, and Dick Stockton(well, Dick was drinking single malt, guess thats how he keeps that voice). Very nice guys all. Conversation nothing more than pleasantries, but still cool.

BTW, saw only three neighborhoods, so cannot really comment on the state of the city other than the tourist areas, and they are all fine. It was my first time in New Orleans, and I highly recommend it to all, just DO NOT bring your kids. We had a great time, I highly encourage people to consider it for a long weekend. As everyone there will point out, they still desperately need the tourist dollars!!

I haven't visited N.O yet but it is on my agenda. I am pulling for the Saints to take it all. That franchise has suffered dramatically for many years. Yet, the area has still supported the team. The NFL is rumored to want to rip the Saints out of N.O. for L.A. Saints and LSU fans are definitely great football fans. I hope the city recovers.