Schottenheimer's Future?

Schottenheimer's Future  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will Marty get fired?

• Yes
    • No

i disagree

if he doesnt i think its primarily due to a lack of suitable replacement ... i dont think they will promote wade phillips to head coach, especially since the defensive side of the ball had the bigger letdown today. so that leaves their OC as the only choice ... maybe that happens. the other reason they might keep marty is if enough stars gather and say they want marty back and will play extra hard given how po'd they are at the pats etc. but given the anger and frustration demonstrated by the chargers after the game and again marty's history, i think spanos the owner makes an emotional decision to fire marty. i wouldnt feel sorry for marty ... he's made a lot of money for a guy thats never won anything.

I don't see the Chargers as this great wealth of talent that others do. I see a few superstars combined with a very solid defense and several holes. Their defensive backfield does nothing for me and their receiving corp is below average without Gates. They have a lot of talent, no doubt, but Marty did a great job to get them to 14-2. In fact, this loss really wasn't that devastating in my opinion. This was not one of his 13-3 KC teams who would get clobbered by some 5 seed. San Diego had quite a few defensive injuries and he lost to one of the 5 best teams in the NFL with the best coaching staff. Plus he was working with an inexperienced QB vs. Joe Montana II.

Marty sticks, and the Chargers are better next year...

As sour as the Chargers and their fans may be, it's not a good idea to fire Marty. He is a good coach and although he doesn't have the ring, they need to keep him there. The team is going to stay pretty much the same as this year and with another year under the belt of Rivers, the team is going to be better than ever. Going with a new head coach can disrupt this completely, I would go into next season and just keep on trying, go for the Superbowl next season. And get a receiver in the offseason!!!

As sour as the Chargers and their fans may be, it's not a good idea to fire Marty. He is a good coach and although he doesn't have the ring, they need to keep him there. The team is going to stay pretty much the same as this year and with another year under the belt of Rivers, the team is going to be better than ever. Going with a new head coach can disrupt this completely, I would go into next season and just keep on trying, go for the Superbowl next season. And get a receiver in the offseason!!!

after a night to sleep on it, i think chargers should find a new head coach. their key players will still be there. what's the point of sticking w/ marty? you just get this profound sense now that he will never beat the elite coaches of his era. for a team with sights set on getting to the super bowl and not just happy with making the playoffs, it's time to move on.

after a night to sleep on it, i think chargers should find a new head coach. they're key players will still be there. what's the point of sticking w/ marty? you just get this profound sense now that he will never beat the elite coaches of his era. for a team with sights set on getting to the super bowl and not just happy with making the playoffs, it's time to move on.

Marty is great at stablizing a franchise and turning around basket cases. (see all prior jobs)

However, he completely meltdowns in the playoffs. (see all prior jobs)

His time has passed.

Not to mention, his blood feud with Smith will force teh issue.

Tell you right now if they fire Marty, the coach that would fit best there is Bill Cowher. Could you imagine Bill Cowher coaching the Chargers!!!!

Thats a fit made in heaven!

Cowher is likely on ice for next season!

As for Marty, he's laughing all the way to the bank. If San Diego buys him off the way the Redskins did he'll pocket another couple million $$.

He must be the best job interviewer since gregg Williams!

I don't see the Chargers as this great wealth of talent that others do. I see a few superstars combined with a very solid defense and several holes. Their defensive backfield does nothing for me and their receiving corp is below average without Gates. They have a lot of talent, no doubt, but Marty did a great job to get them to 14-2. In fact, this loss really wasn't that devastating in my opinion. This was not one of his 13-3 KC teams who would get clobbered by some 5 seed. San Diego had quite a few defensive injuries and he lost to one of the 5 best teams in the NFL with the best coaching staff. Plus he was working with an inexperienced QB vs. Joe Montana II.

Marty sticks, and the Chargers are better next year...

I agree- he has always coached teams with significant holes- in KC, he had no real QB or WR's except for an old Montana. In San Diego, he now has a 1st year QB, and no WR's.....both lines are vastly overrated as well. Sacks are a very overrated stat

I agree- he has always coached teams with significant holes- in KC, he had no real QB or WR's except for an old Montana. In San Diego, he now has a 1st year QB, and no WR's.....both lines are vastly overrated as well. Sacks are a very overrated stat

the media has been on him something fierce since the loss, going so far as to anoint their OC his successor. with the lack of a press conference, cancellation of others and extended meetings between owner and GM i'd have to say doesn't look good for good ole ex-bill marty. heck, even his son pulled himself out of the miami HC competition, speculation being he didn't wan to compete with his dad for the job after he gets let go from chargers. as of now i'd have to say the odds he's gone are greater than the 50/50 expressed on this board.

Yes, but he shouldn't. His teams always compete hard and perform well during the regular season. Is it his fault Karma craps on him during the playoffs because he murdered English prostitutes in his former life?

Well, yeah, I guess it is kind of his fault. He needs to get a My Name is Earl list and do some making-up.

However, he completely meltdowns in the playoffs. (see all prior jobs)

I guess Marty deserves the blame since he is the coach and the buck stops with him. However, I don't think it's all his fault. I doubt that the told that punt returner to muff that punt. The guys was right on top of it, if he'd just fallen on it like he's probably been told hundreds of times in practice he could have recovered it. Or, I don't think he told that DB to intercept on 4th down. That's dumb. And then to top it off he fumbles. I'm sure he was coached to not do anything risky with a pick and go down and let the offense take over if he gets in traffic. He was probably also told not to intercept on 4th down.

Going back, I don't think Marty called fumble-left on "The fumble" play.

Sometimes players just make bad plays at the worst possible time.

If I were San Diego, I'd keep him. If they don't, the Bills should fire Jauron and hire him!