1991 Redskins

It's always a bitter sweet time of year for me to watch the playoffs...the ghosts of the early 90's Bills always comes back in the form of old games replayed on TV...NFL network just did a special on the 91 Skins, and wow, did we get man handled in SB 26.

I still can't believe how unbelievably talented our team was, and still lost those games...Until the Bills get back somehow and win it, those ghosts will continue to haunt...

It's always a bitter sweet time of year for me to watch the playoffs...the ghosts of the early 90's Bills always comes back in the form of old games replayed on TV...NFL network just did a special on the 91 Skins, and wow, did we get man handled in SB 26.

I still can't believe how unbelievably talented our team was, and still lost those games...Until the Bills get back somehow and win it, those ghosts will continue to haunt...

Yeah I dunno wtf happened in that game. It's easy to say in retrospect "they were better", but that was a bit of an 'off year' for an era in which the NFC was dominant - they beat Atlanta & Detroit in the playoffs, SanFran missed the playoffs...

I know they were favored vs. the Bills, but there's really no excuse for our great OL getting manhandled by their blitz.

What luck. We went up against such great teams. I wish we could have landed some of the lesser SB teams. I have a tough time watching those SB shows, too, and I always think that kick is going to be good.

Yup.

I think the '91 Redskins were one of the best of all time. Really. 15-1 record in the regular season. Offensive line gave Mark Rypien all day to throw and they ran the heck out of the ball. Defense was equally dominant. Only reason they don't get their just due is because Gibbs left and they fell apart quickly. They were the best of the teams the Bills faced in any playoff year IMO.

Yup.

I think the '91 Redskins were one of the best of all time. Really. 15-1 record in the regular season. Offensive line gave Mark Rypien all day to throw and they ran the heck out of the ball. Defense was equally dominant. Only reason they don't get their just due is because Gibbs left and they fell apart quickly. They were the best of the teams the Bills faced in any playoff year IMO.

I agree. that was one dominant redskins team. However, i still think the bills would have beaten them if (unfortunately) Marv understood how to coach this team in the super bowl. Plus, wasn't this the famous game where dickerson called the redskins fat lazy pigs or something? The bills were totally unprepared for that game. It's unfortunate that this the dirty side to marv's legacy.

I agree. that was one dominant redskins team. However, i still think the bills would have beaten them if (unfortunately) Marv understood how to coach this team in the super bowl. Plus, wasn't this the famous game where dickerson called the redskins fat lazy pigs or something? The bills were totally unprepared for that game. It's unfortunate that this the dirty side to marv's legacy.

Not to pounce on Marv, but I agree that Marv had this team unprepared. Although he landed in HOF, Marv was outcoached in each of SB games...I don't buy the argument that Bills lost to better teams in each of those SBs. Remember that Bills dominated NFC back in '90's in regular season. In 90, they were 3-1 vs. NFC East. They beat the 'boys in Dallas opening day in '93, after losing in SB. Problem in '91 SB was that Marv and his staff never countered the Blitz packages that Bills initially faced against Denver in AFC championship game. If I recall, the Bills playing at home that day did not score an offensive TD in that game, and Denver's D manhandled our O by blitz and tough, physical play. Redskins copied Denver's D tactics in SB and Bills, with Marv in charge, never took appropriate actions (i.e. maximum protection, two TEs, screens, draws, etc. to counter). Bills kept on repeating same plays, four wide-outs, minimum protecton for Kelly play after play and ended in disaster...that loss is totally on Marv, for not responding to the Blitz.

Yeah I dunno wtf happened in that game. It's easy to say in retrospect "they were better", but that was a bit of an 'off year' for an era in which the NFC was dominant - they beat Atlanta & Detroit in the playoffs, SanFran missed the playoffs...

I know they were favored vs. the Bills, but there's really no excuse for our great OL getting manhandled by their blitz.

If memory serves me correct I think we defeated our first three superbowl opponents during the regular season. I am positive about the Giants and the first Cowboys

Phil, Just looked it up, and we beat the Giants in week 15 17-13 in New York. We also beat the second Cowboys team 13-10 at their place.

Yeah, both Kelly and Simms were injured during that Giants game; and our D actually smothered their running game.

The Dallas game was no Emmitt but still satisfying - Matt 'Darby the Dinasour'!

The Bills did not have a "great" OL.

It was very productive due to the advantage gained by the no huddle.

However, as was apparent against the Redskins, the OL was overmatched against a good defense.

The Bills did not have a "great" OL.

It was very productive due to the advantage gained by the no huddle.

However, as was apparent against the Redskins, the OL was overmatched against a good defense.

The no huddle made them play that much over their heads? I don't buy it. Again, that's a hindsight argument based on the outcome of that particular game.